PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning use of Oneway Corer

Hilel Salomon
10-27-2010, 7:36 AM
Hi Folks,

Haven't had much time on the internet, though I have sneaked into my shop on occasion and turned some items. I have several Oneway corers and when I want a predetermined, really rounded core, I use these instead of the McNaughton system. On one of my corers, however, the knife does not sit parallel to the rest. In fact the space between knife and rest at the back end of the rest is quite significant. After several calls into tech support at Oneway, I was told that this was the way it was supposed to be. He said that the knife should only touch the rest at the front end. Is this true? On my other sets the knife sit pretty clearly on the entire rest.
Advice Welcome.

Hilel.

Tim Rinehart
10-27-2010, 9:32 AM
I noticed what you're talking about. Here's how I think of it...As long as you've got good contact at the tip of the support, the knife will have something to react against and stay supported while cutting. If the support point was further back towards the pivot, then you would have a large unsupported area that could vibrate and cause problems, perhaps.
If the entire length is close to be supported...ok too.
When you say "quite significant" on the one...how significant? Just curious.
If you use it and it seems to operate smoothly as the other knives... I wouldn't consider it an issue.

Reed Gray
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
It is most important that the tip of the support finger contacts the blade. I would guess that with the coring forces, the small gap nearer the base will disappear as the cutting tip engaged, and the system flexes a bit. On the large blade, I think mine has maybe 1/16 inch gap. You do not want the tip of the blade to be floating, and the handle end to be in contact.

robo hippy

Hilel Salomon
10-27-2010, 8:39 PM
Hi,

Just finished my second core on the blank, and did it with the smaller knife. It contacted the blade/support over most of the length and was quite parallel to it. This core was much better. The gap on the larger knife set is significant -over an eighth of an inch at the end- so that the knife really comes to the support/rest/blade at an angle. Oneway tech said that this was intended. I have three sets in Columbia, and two here in VA. Only the large set here has that angle. In Columbia, the same knife set doesn't do this. I may fiddle with the bottom of the knife jig to see if I can improve this, but I can't imagine that this was intended.

Jack Mincey
10-27-2010, 9:16 PM
Mine has got in the same shape a few times since my High School Students tend to try and force it to much as the core is finishing up which can cause the core to pop out and the large blades to slip off the support finger and bend. I take a large pipe wrench and place it down on the flat steel that goes from the pivot bar to the blade and bend it just a touch. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it aligned just right.
Good Luck,
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2010, 9:57 PM
Jack hit the nail on the head. I had this happen when the large core popped and the knife slipped of the rest. I noticed that the tip was the only thing that the support arm. I did like Jack and used a pipe wrench to bend it slightly up and now it rests totally on the support arm.

Hilel Salomon
10-28-2010, 7:27 AM
Thanks All for your answers. I guess that you're right about the fact that support at the knife tip end would be better than at the base. I just wonder about the gap, and wonder about the "answer" I got from Oneway. The cores I got from the smaller knife which sits parallel to the support are much smoother. I'll try fiddling with the height screw and see if that helps, and perhaps I'll also try the pipe method as well.

Regards, Hilel