PDA

View Full Version : Texas Ebony HF

Kathy Marshall
10-27-2010, 12:55 AM
This is my 3rd HF, Tex ebony, 3 1/2" tall 3" wide, base and opening are each 2", finished with about 5 coats of wipe on poly and beall buffed.

The form is not really what I intended, but after a few "design opportunities" this is what was left. The blank started out about 3 times the finished size. After roughing, found a crack, could have filled/stabilized it but I really didn't want a crack in this piece and hoping it might not be too deep, proceeded to turn it out, and turn it out and turn it out :eek:. Needless to say, it went a little deeper than I thought. Having had to narrow the diameter so much, it seemed too narrow for the height and size of the foot, so I ended up turning about 2" off the top. I'm limited on the foot size with the jaws I have now or I would have made the base narrower and been able to raise the shoulder. Live and learn, new jaws are on my list.
If I didn't like the wood so much, it probably would have ended up in the scrap pile.

charlie knighton
10-27-2010, 3:37 AM
very nice, i expect you will have more cracks in the future with the heat out west

John Keeton
10-27-2010, 7:38 AM
Kathy, nice piece of wood and a beautiful finish! Sounds like you learned a lot with this one, and that is more a part of this process than we sometimes realize. All in all, you did well!

Roger Chandler
10-27-2010, 8:42 AM
"Purrdeee" :D vase there Kathy! It is good you saved the piece. I had a blank one time, and I began to wonder if I was going to end up with a tooth pick :eek::D;) but wood just sometimes has a mind of its own and we have to play the hand we are dealt.

Great finish on this and you have given it balance as to the height vs. the footprint. Nice work!

Michael James
10-27-2010, 9:39 AM
WOW.... that's beautiful!

Rob Cunningham
10-27-2010, 12:54 PM
I like the overall shape that you ended up with. Design opportunities are how we learn. The finish and wood are both beautiful. I say well done.

Steve Vaughan
10-27-2010, 1:01 PM
The form is not really what I intended, but after a few "design opportunities" this is what was left. The blank started out about 3 times the finished size.

That's funny...that the blank started out larger. Funny because I've done so many pieces that should have been these humongous fruit bowls or something and by the time I get done sometimes, well, I've got this little, itty-bitty piece of wood left in the lathe.

A really great save on a beautiful piece of wood, thanks for sharing it and the story!

Steve Schlumpf
10-27-2010, 1:02 PM
Sure is some pretty wood! Great job on the finish! Form comes with experience of lots of practice and design opportunities!

Nice work! Looking forward to HF #4!

David E Keller
10-27-2010, 3:55 PM
I think it looks great, Kathy. The wood is beautiful as is the finish. Only you know the trials and tribulations associated with the making of this piece... We just get to see a pretty finished form.

Scott Hackler
10-27-2010, 4:15 PM
How ever it started out, the end result is real nice. I love the color contrast and the finish looks great. Keep em coming!

Rob Mathis
10-27-2010, 5:39 PM
Very nice result!

I like the look and the wood.

Its not where you start but how you finish.

David DeCristoforo
10-27-2010, 6:02 PM
Ahh, yes. The incredible shrinking turning syndrome. I've been through that one a few times myself. It's amazing how deep some of those seemingly small flaws can be. But it looks like you made the best of it and ended up with a very nice little vase.

Tom Sherman
10-27-2010, 8:21 PM
Kathy I agree with the others a very pretty vase, nice job on saving it and great finish.

Bernie Weishapl
10-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Really a nice piece out of some pretty wood. Finish looks great.