PDA

View Full Version : Portable Drill-Driver recommendations

Ashwini Kaul
10-26-2010, 8:39 PM
Hey folks,
I have a large 18v cordless drill already. Looking for some recommendations for nice 12v drill primarily for driving and occasional drilling. I know there are number of options in all price ranges. What are some good bang for buck options out there?

Thanks!

Will Overton
10-26-2010, 9:15 PM
All the major brands have good entries in this category. Find the one that fits your hand the best.

Don't be too surprised if your 18v starts collecting dust and you get a second (or third or fourth) 12v tool.

When using screws I usually pull a Bosch PS30 and PS20 out of the drawer. The PS30 has a standard chuck and is used for drilling. The PS20 has the quick release chuck and is used for driving.

Callan Campbell
10-26-2010, 9:17 PM
I've had real good luck with the lower voltage Makita units. I've also heard good things about the 12 volt Bosch drills as well. It's kind of funny, we held to below 12 volt tools for years, then BANG, everyone got on the higher and higher voltage wagon. The cordless drills started to resemble corded drills due the size and weight. Now, with Lithium-Ion batteries, we're heading back down in size and weight, to resemble what Makita was making in their 9.6 volt tools for years:rolleyes:.

Bruce Page
10-26-2010, 9:26 PM
I have a Bosch PS10-2A at work that I absolutely love. It is tons better than the De Walt driver that I had previously.

Gil Knowles
10-26-2010, 9:48 PM
Hi
I have ordered a Bosch PS21-2A 12V lion driver after doing a lot of research and reading a lot of reviews. Pretty well everybody gives it very good reviews. I currently have a older 12V Dewalt drill which I am pleased with but find it too large at times.

Gil

Ashwini Kaul
10-26-2010, 10:16 PM
A lighter, more compact drill will be a blessing!

I was doing a bunch of pocket hole joinery for a quick project tonight and now my forearm is sore.

Will these 12v units be able to handle a Kreg drill bit?

Bill Huber
10-27-2010, 12:10 AM
A lighter, more compact drill will be a blessing!

I was doing a bunch of pocket hole joinery for a quick project tonight and now my forearm is sore.

Yes they will but they will not last as long as a good 14 or 18 volt will but they handle it very well. The 12v do not have the RPMs that the 14 and 18v. do so it will be slower drilling.

Now what you have to decide is do you want a standard drill chuck or a 1/4 quick change.

I have had the Bosch 1/4" quick change and it is a very nice drill, works well and the batteries charge very fast.

I now have the Milwaukee M12-2455-22.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=2455-22&CategoryName=SC%3a+M12+Cordless+System

The reason I switch was the quick change chuck on the Milwaukee is much better then the Bosch in that you pull it out and it stays out until you put the next bit in. Pull the sleeve out and the bit drops out pick up the next one and stick it in and it snaps closed.

With the Bosch you pull it out and the bit drops out but then when you go to put the next one in you have to pull it out and hold it open, its more of a 2 hand operation.

I did get a standard chuck with a 1/4" end on it at HD when I am just doing drilling.

But again if I am doing a lot if drilling I use my 14v, it is faster.

Will Overton
10-27-2010, 8:11 AM

They can do the job, but not the best choice. In fact, not many cordless drills meet Kreg's recommendation of 2000 rpm's.

If working at the bench I use a Milwaukee corded drill for drilling the holes, and a Bosch PS20 to drive the screws.

Prashun Patel
10-27-2010, 8:57 AM
Ashwini-
I have the Ridgid 12v LiIon drill/impact driver combo. Very good value.
However, beware that Ridgid makes 2 vsns of this drill. Mine is a one-speed. The 2-speed one is better for drilling. I hardly ever use the impact driver.

The battery life is good, the chuck is solid, it has plenty of torque, and is able to get into tight spots. A very solid second drill.

Ashwini Kaul
10-27-2010, 1:09 PM
Hi
I have ordered a Bosch PS21-2A 12V lion driver after doing a lot of research and reading a lot of reviews. Pretty well everybody gives it very good reviews. I currently have a older 12V Dewalt drill which I am pleased with but find it too large at times.

Gil

Do you know if the 21A-2A also needs the 2 handed quick swap like the 20A or can it be done with one hand? Kind of drawn to that feature on the Milwaukee.

Steve Nicholson
10-27-2010, 1:40 PM
I have two Panasonic 12v driver drills that I have had for years. one 3/8" chuck and one 1/2" chuck. The 3/8" is pretty old so I just use it for drilling. The 1/2" I use for every thing and I'm very happy with it. I have carpal tunnel so it's nice not having a large drill to tote around. When I need a new one I'm sure I'll probably by another one, that I way they can all share batteries and chargers. I would make sure that what ever you buy that it has a 1/2" chuck for the versatility.

Matt Winterowd
10-28-2010, 2:01 PM
For 12v, I'm 100% with Bill. The Milwaukee setup is awesome. I like it much better than the Bosch. And their little 12v impact driver is a beast. I actually use two drills most of the time so that I have less bit switching, and the combo of the Milwaukee 12v and a Panasonic 15v have been great. Plenty of power and battery life and so much lighter than my old 18v units.

Ashwini Kaul
11-04-2010, 1:29 PM
Just wanted to update you guys on what I ended up with:
A Bosch 21-2A.
First Impressions - Awesome... Its is so light and compact... not even funnny. And changing the bits, even though 2 handed, is so quick and painless.

Even though I was very tempted with the Milwaukee and the one handed change operations, I could not justify the extra $100 for that.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!!