PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1495 owners

Mike Cruz
10-26-2010, 6:59 PM
Hi, all. I'm looking to upgrade my old (1947) 12" Delta lathe. While I would love to get into a Powermatic or other beast, I have the oportunity to pick up a G1495 that is only 3 years old for about $500.

Are you happy with yours? Would you advise against it? I've read reviews and they are less than stellar, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. I don't want to kick myself later for not jumping on this, but I also don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks (over what I can sell my Delta for) for something that is no better... Thanks...

Roger Chandler
10-26-2010, 7:08 PM
Hi, all. I'm looking to upgrade my old (1947) 12" Delta lathe. While I would love to get into a Powermatic or other beast, I have the oportunity to pick up a G1495 that is only 3 years old for about $500.

Are you happy with yours? Would you advise against it? I've read reviews and they are less than stellar, but I'd love to hear what you guys think. I don't want to kick myself later for not jumping on this, but I also don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks (over what I can sell my Delta for) for something that is no better... Thanks...

Mike,

This unit has 3/4 hp motor, which by today's standards is considered a bit underpowered, but there have been many 3/4 hp units that have served their owners well. $500.00 is probably a decent price if it is in good shape, and one could always upgrade to a more powerful motor in the future.

I does have an odd sized spindle 1x12tpi. and accessories might be a bit hard to come by for it.

If I were going to spend $500.00, I would go with the Delta 46-460, because it has more power, variable speed, and a 1x8tpi spindle, and it is easily upgradable!

Mike Cruz
10-26-2010, 8:29 PM
Thanks for the info, Roger. Aren't there adaptors you can get so that you can buy/use 1 x 8 tpi stuff?

Don Alexander
10-26-2010, 8:47 PM
+1 for what Roger said odd ball stuff is generally good stuff to avoid if for no other reason than the aggravation factor caused by it being ODD

chances are pretty good that making ODD work with more normal stuff will not only be aggravating but somewhat more costly as well

just my 2 cents for what its worth :)

James Combs
10-26-2010, 9:04 PM
Thanks for the info, Roger. Aren't there adaptors you can get so that you can buy/use 1 x 8 tpi stuff?

There are "probably" adapters available but be sure to note that you will probably loose center to center length capacity with any adapter from 1" 12tpi to 1" 8tpi.

Roger Chandler
10-26-2010, 9:24 PM

Mike,

That unit also has a reeves drive pulley system which requires regular maintenance to keep it operating like it should..........the VFD is a much better system [IMO] and most turners will agree with that, but not perhaps everyone.

the Delta 46-460 has a 12-1/2 inch swing and the grizz you mentioned has a 14 inch. I would much rather have the power and the VS of the delta, and would have a warranty to boot! ToolNut could give you a great price!

I will be glad for you, whatever you decide, but experienced turners have been down the same road you are currently on, and this advice is given to help you avoid regrets latter on..........For what it is worth! :););)

Bill Bulloch
10-26-2010, 10:16 PM
I think I would better off with the Delta 46-460 if you are going to do bowls and HF. 1 hp vs 3/4 hp. 250 low RPMs vs 500 Low RPMs. VS Drive vs Reeves Drive. Reverse vs no Reverse. and the Delta 46-460 actually has a 12 1/2 Swing. Ofcourse, if you are only going to do Spindle work then the Grizzly will probably be your best bet.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Ditto what Bill and Roger said. I would definitely look at the Delta 46-460. It has more power, VS, reverse and the low speed of 250 is slower than the 500 rpm.

Mike Cruz
10-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Wow, I'm kinda getting a unanimous vibe here. Bill, no, while I will be doing some spindle work, the reason for me wanting to upgrade my lathe is that my old Delta just doesn't seem to be able to handle larger (Ha! 8+ inch) blanks that are unbalanced. So, I wanted to get something with more mass.

While I'm sure the Delta 46-460 would certainly be an upgrade (in technology, bells and whistles), it wouldn't do me much good in the way of mass. I would have to build a very strudy base for it. I could do that for my Delta...

I whole heartedly believe that if I get/got the Grizzly, it would be only until I found what I really wanted. My concern was mainly that if I got the Grizzly, would I be able to sell it for what I got it for. At $500, I'm not convinced. And I'm not sold on getting it for that price not knowing if it will "do"...even for now. Unfortunately, I think the 46-460 would put me in the same boat... about $600 and when I find what I really want, I will probably get $350-400.

Ya'll have me convinced to be skeptical of this Grizzly model. I appreciate it, I really do.

Also, here is an adapter for 12 tpi to 8 tpi http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LAG1218.html . So, it seems like it wouldn't be that much of an issue... Of course, there I go assuming...

And, again, thank you everyone for your input. Even IF IF IF I get this Grizzly, it won't be because I discounted your input. I have taken/am taking all of this into serious consideration. I have to admit, I am leaning away from it. The only thing that will probably get me drawn back in is a serious drop from the $500 he's asking. That way, if I'm not happy with it, or when I find what I really want, I can unload it for what I paid for it and not wait around for a couple of months for the "right buyer".

You guys have made it clear to me that this really isn't the one. And IF I get it, expect disappointment and frustration. I'll try to get some sleep on it, and see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks again.

Michelle Rich
10-27-2010, 8:04 AM
for what it's worth at this late date: I have this unit & have used it daily for 20 or so years. The reeves drive is noisy, but requires very little maintenance. As a matter of fact I am running on the original belt.Adapter is avail to go from 1x12 to 1x8, but grizzly has chucks/faceplates that run on 1x12..a pain, but nor insurmountable. Yes a new delta is a great little unit & has the benefit of being modern compared to the older griz, but the griz has benefits too. your choice. Maybe you can get the owner to come down on the price, by comparing it to the new delta , and see if you can save $$. I am not suggesting what your choice should be, just trying to give you a good review for a unit I am not unhappy with. My only complaint is the bed at the headstock end. That gap is a pain.

Mike Cruz
10-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks, Michelle, and yes, a little late. ;):) I emailed the owner last night. Told him that I couldn't justify it at that price. It is only three years old and I think he is caught in what I fear I'd be...losing money on a machine. He got it for around a grand three years ago, and can't (at least not as of yet) get anyone to take it for 1/2 price. My fear is, if it didn't turn out to be the one for me, could I turn around and sell it for what I got it for... I wouldn't mind taking a chance on it for, say, $400. I think I could unload it for that. But, if I got it for $500, then did little extras like I always do to new to me equipment (the adapter, new belt, yadda, yadda). I'm gonna end up losing in the end.

Oddly enough, I found another Grizzly lathe on Ebay and it happened to be in my backyard! Well, 1/2 hour away anyway. It was a practically new G0462 which sells for $525 new. I actually consider it as long as the bidding stayed low enough. Not even close to low enough for it to be worth my while.

Again, thanks for your input. My search continues...

Roger Chandler
10-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi again Mike,

Just to let you know the G0462 is an identical twin to the shop fox [W1758] unit of the same size. It is a lighter weight unit, and the lowest rpm is around 600, which is way too fast for a bowl blank to start out with when it is out of round and out of balance.

If you were going to do mostly spindle work, this one would be okay, but believe me, you can do better.

Most of these lathes that are on the used market are there because their owners are trying to upgrade themselves because they have found out that the unit they bought is not all they wanted.

I hope you can find a lathe that will give you a lower rpm for bowls, etc, and if you keep on asking here on this forum, the guys are knowledgable, and will help to steer you in the right direction. A lot of them have been where you are now, and have looked at the same lathes, or owned them, and have done extensive research trying to get the most lathe with the features they wanted at the best price possible.

All this will sort itself out for you in time, so a little patience is required and it will come together. Wishing you much luck! :)

Mike Cruz
10-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Thanks, Roger. I have to agree that among other things, the low speed of 600 rpm was the deal breaker for me. That AND the price. I'm going to be looking at what I think might be something better for me this weekend. I'll let ya'll know if it works out. ;)

Roger Chandler
10-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Mike,

If you happen across a Grizzly G0632, it is the same as the Jet 16/42 only the headstock also swivels for out board turning. That would be a great lathe and there are some on this forum who have it, and like it a lot. I would say it is the little brother to my lathe, the G0698.

It has all the features, like VFD, reversing, digital readout, etc..........information just in case you do run across one somewhere and are wondering if it is a good machine.............YES!