PDA

View Full Version : The Sawstop safe in the South as well...

Van Huskey
10-26-2010, 5:10 PM
Gotta love the smell..

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/32096/this-is-what-happens-when-roy-underhill-meets-a-sawstop

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2010, 5:41 PM
I'd bet it would work on catfish and bass as well!

Will Overton
10-26-2010, 5:52 PM

By the time you got the catfish to lay still on the board, it would be dead anyway, just like the chicken. What's the point of trying to save them. :confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2010, 6:00 PM
By the time you got the catfish to lay still on the board, it would be dead anyway, just like the chicken. What's the point of trying to save them. :confused:

For the same reason you would want to save a hotdog.....:D

Will Overton
10-26-2010, 9:21 PM
For the same reason you would want to save a hotdog.....:D

You mean they're dead too? :(

Ken Fitzgerald
10-26-2010, 9:25 PM
Will...it's a regional thing....In NY or Chicago...it's save a hotdog....in the Deep South...it's save a chicken leg....

Callan Campbell
10-26-2010, 9:43 PM
While it still shows off the firing mechanism, I agree with some of FWW comments that are posted. No sound protection for his ears, no safety glasses. Gives a poor idea of acceptable working habits for many trades, not just woodworking. Being from the South by birth, I still wanted a disclaimer at the end of the video that NO Fried Chicken was harmed during the filming of this video in any way!:p Sweet Tea, Fried Chicken, Hot homemade biscuits, these things are sacred to some of us:cool::cool::cool:

Bill Huber
10-27-2010, 12:14 AM

That is the reason I don't have a SawStop, I can't clean the catfish with it. I use the table saw to skin them and it works very well with a fine tooth blade:rolleyes:

Mike Cruz
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Funny, even though I know it was a SawStop, it unnerved me to see him with his hand so close to the running blade...WHILE LOOKING AWAY!!!!! I mean, it will stop when it hits the chicken or his fingers, but his hand was on the plywood and he looked away! I small slip and he's going to be trying to invent the SawStopKickback so he doesn't break any more ribs from a small piece of plywood getting thrown into his ribcage from a simple mistake like not paying attention. BTW, if it sounds like I know about that scenario from my description, gues what...:o At least it wasn't while I was parading a chicken leg in front of an audience while being videotaped...on second thought, that might have won me $10,000...:rolleyes:

Callan Campbell
10-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Funny, even though I know it was a SawStop, it unnerved me to see him with his hand so close to the running blade...WHILE LOOKING AWAY!!!!! I mean, it will stop when it hits the chicken or his fingers, but his hand was on the plywood and he looked away! I small slip and he's going to be trying to invent the SawStopKickback so he doesn't break any more ribs from a small piece of plywood getting thrown into his ribcage from a simple mistake like not paying attention. BTW, if it sounds like I know about that scenario from my description, gues what...:o At least it wasn't while I was parading a chicken leg in front of an audience while being videotaped...on second thought, that might have won me $10,000...:rolleyes: I totally agree with your observation. It was a poor showing of his considerable woodworking experience and didn't really help SawStop or the store where this was being filmed[was it Highland Hardware/woodworking?].
He did have a miter guage backing up the plywood, not everyone saw it, but it was there. However, we've seen the hotdog in action, and didn't the inventor put his own finger in the blade to demo the saw at some point during the last couple of years? My point is this, SawStops' technology is getting demo'ed all over the world in ways that lawyers and PR people are probably cringing over that we don't hear about.:p:p:p

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-28-2010, 6:39 AM
You mean they're dead too? :(

Will, some people might say they were never alive. :D

John Coloccia
10-28-2010, 8:21 AM
It's amazing how when you get enough people in one place, SOMEONE'S always going to find something to complain about.

Van Huskey
10-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Gotta give him a break, not sure Roy has ever seen a power tool much less used one...:D He probably doesn't own safety glasses or hearing protection.