PDA

View Full Version : inlace / embellishment questions

Jim Gobel
10-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Ok folks bear with me-
I read a tutorial that discussed using embossing powder and CA glue as in inlay material. After looking at the prices of inlace kits I decided to give it a whirl. It works great but if I have anything more than fill a small hole on my project its so hard I cant turn it smooth unless I use a carbide roughing type tool. lt just destroys the edge on any hss tool.
My question is, would using a different type "hardner" make a difference? Epoxy perhaps?
In what Ive seen for actual inlace kits they often describe the product as some type or stone or metal flakes. Wont I have the same problem with these types of fill? Is the "hardner" given with inlace type kits dry not so hard as to make it still turnable w/ hss tools?
..or perhaps I just need to have the project to the sanding stage then add any embellishment and sand it smooth?

Any comments with those who have used inlace type materials would be helpful.
Thanks!
Jim

Michelle Rich
10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Inlace is quite soft ..I'm sure one could use carbon steel, sandpaper, files...easy product to use

bob svoboda
10-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I have limited experience with inlace, but for what I've done, HSS tools and sandpaper seem to work just fine.

John Keeton
10-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I have not used Inlace, but I have used System Three epoxy for inlay fill. The pieces were turned within about 15 hours, and it seems to tool just fine at that point. The top layer was a little brittle, but the rest of it came off in ribbons and polished up nice.

I have used only brass filings for a matrix, and I have no experience with the other aggregates used in Inlace.

Jim Gobel
10-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Clarification-

Its the embossing powder & CA glue I have a problem with (havent tried anything else). I fill stuff all the time with just CA and dont have much of a problem, so Im guessing its that combination of CA & embossing powder that makes it super hard. Last time, in frustration I tried every tool I have and the only thing that cut the inlay was my easy wood tools with the carbide cutters.

Jim Burr
10-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Embossing powder and CA are VERY hard!! I use CA on coral and turquoise inlays. The scraper and light, light cuts are your best friend.

Mark Levitski
10-26-2010, 1:30 PM
It's not the CA or epoxy that is so hard, but rather the inlay material itself. I use both of these glues with crushed stone and doesn't matter how light my cuts are, tools dull right away--even my 2060 steels--from the stone, not the glue. Abrasives are best, and my suggestion would be to use a lower grit diamond disc as the first step. I never tried carbide tools. One can usually look up the hardness of most filler materials. I think the inlace materials are not actually stone and thus are softer.

Aaron Wingert
10-26-2010, 1:51 PM
Agreed, Inlace itself is nice and soft. The inlay materials is what beats up the tools. I agree that a scraper is your best friend on those. Not sure I'd have the guts to use my nice EWT carbide tools on turquoise or anything like coral.

Mark Levitski
10-26-2010, 9:09 PM
Hey, Jim G., I just noticed that you are from NW WI. We live near Antigo and get up to Bayfield quite a bit (sled dogs in winter and wood stuff in summer). My wife makes free-form tree branch furniture and I turn. We have some of our stuff in the Stone's Throw store up there.

Check out Steve Russell's website for some tips on inlay. 3M makes some 3" diamond discs that can cut some of the harder stuff like coral and turquoise. Inlace is a very nice product, but when you can truthfully say that it is real coral in that tabletop or bowl, the people really like that if you are selling.

Here's one of my wife's platters w/ a coral inlay:

Cathy Schaewe
10-26-2010, 9:13 PM
I've tried all kinds of things on brass, turquoise, and other inlaid stone. The CA is a little more brittle than epoxy, but they're both very hard. I was using my EWTs, but have found that the "80 grit gouge" works best, for the least cost. The carbide tips will dull in an instant on that stuff, where the piece of sandpaper is not quite so expensive, and actually seems to work better.

Brian Brown
10-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Inlace is essentially the same thing as solid surface counter top material like Corian. It is soft and turns well. If possible, cut your inlay groove with a dovetail so when the inlace hardens, it is held in with a barb. Otherwise, sometimes it can come out of the groove while you are turning.