PDA

View Full Version : Power Feeder woe

Jason Yeager
10-26-2010, 12:37 AM
I just picked up a used, but basically brand new 1/2 hp feeder off of craigslist, and have it on my shaper. I set it up tonight and tried to feed a board through, and found that the wheels slipped, and the wood didn't feed well.

I was wondering if anyone may have dealt with this, and know how to solve the problem. The wheels are brand new, and definitely feel slippery to the touch. I played with the height adjustment, thinking that a 1/4" below the surface of the wood was the place to set the wheel height, but it didn't seem to matter, the wood never fed despite moving up and down.

Thanks a ton!

Mike Heidrick
10-26-2010, 12:47 AM
Wax your machines bed/tables
Sand/scuff up your wheels a little at a time to get rid of teh slippery surface

If all else fails order some new wheels from Western roller.

Mark Rakestraw
10-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Mike's advice is good. I'll add that periodically cleaning the rollers with denatured alcohol also helps them grip. I keep a mustard bottle of alcohol and a rag handy. Come to think of it I haven't had to do that lately, so maybe it's just a new wheel thing.
Mark

Jeff Monson
10-26-2010, 12:13 PM
I'll second the paste wax on your shaper table. The wheels at 1/4" deflection should be adequate pressure, the new wheels must have some type of separating compound on them if they feel slippery?...I'd use the denatured alcohol on the wheels to get them grippy.

Karl Brogger
10-26-2010, 1:31 PM
Often times people set the height of the rollers way too tight. The down pressure against the table creates more friction against the table than what the wheel have. I'm usually about an 1/8" lower than the top of the material, maybe even less.

If you can use something more slippery than steel like Melamine or UMHW on the table that is helpful as well. Wax wears pretty quickly.

I use paraffin wax, hard to apply, plenty slippery and lasts quite a bit longer than paste wax.

Rye Crane
10-26-2010, 1:35 PM
Jason,

When I called Western Roller to order a set of wheels for my
brandnew feeder, I was told that these new tires just are no
damn good. It's part of the fun I guess buying new tools and
then having to buy new parts to make em work. Gotta love it.

Rye Crane

Richard McComas
10-26-2010, 1:40 PM
Most power feeder wheels that come on feeders are kind of like the band saw blades you get with a new band saw, not the best. You can send to some where like Western Roller and have them put on better wheel covering.

When I have slipping problems I sand my wheels with 80 girt sand paper and wipe them down with lacquer thinner.

http://www.westernroller.com/

Erik Christensen
10-26-2010, 5:54 PM
my powermatic power feeder specs 1/8" of wheel compression and a 3/16" toe in to the fence in the direction of feed

Peter Quinn
10-26-2010, 7:51 PM
Does it have those tan rubber wheels? They tend to get glazed just from age, and they get glazed if saw dust gets on them, and they get glazed...well you get the point, they suck. I run them on high and rub them with a piece of sticky back sand paper on a stick, then hit them with a little alcohol or acetone, seems to give them a little more sticking power. Keep the table well waxed too. You will notice when its time for reapplication.

At home where I am in charge and allowed to use what I like, I have polyurethane wheels on one feeder, and they grab like heck, no slipping there. So switching to a urathane wheel or a better grade of rubber may also help. With rubber there is a direct trade off between tire life and wheel tack, so keep that in mind. With urathane they are sticky AND tough, but more money.

Its also possible that the previous owner may have gotten a lubricant like boeshield, wax, or god help you some type of silicone on the wheels, and that must be removed. Those spray lubricants are best avoided near a power feed! DAMHIK.:rolleyes:

Jason Yeager
10-26-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks everyone,

I am going to give the sandpaper and acetone number a try for now, I appreciate all the hints!!