PDA

View Full Version : Business card holder

Steve Mawson
10-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Have a function coming up and needed a holder for my business cards that I have just ordered. So not having a holder and the function will have a turned piece that I did I decided to turn a card holder. All walnut, barrel is 4" long, about 2" in diameter and whole unit is 4.5" tall. Business cards are 3.5" long. Comments welcome and thanks for looking.

Michael James
10-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Novel approach and a nice piece. Just the right touh for a woodturner! Good luck at your function!
mj

John Keeton
10-26-2010, 6:58 AM
Steve, I really like how you cut the lines in the barrel, and did the end caps and bands - really looks sharp! Very well done, and immediately noticeable.

Dennis Ford
10-26-2010, 9:29 AM
You did a great job on that.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Neat idea and great job.

Michelle Rich
10-26-2010, 10:48 AM
nifty-keeno!

Jeff Belany
10-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question -- how did you make the slot for the cards? My thought is to dig out my hollow chisel mortiser.

Like the idea for the card holder, I think I might simplify it and just make a flat on the bottom of the 'barrel' and forgo the stand. Obviously I'm not as much a turner as most of you guys. Still a neat piece.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Bill Bolen
10-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Cool idea and a great execution. Love the barrel theme...Bill...

George Guadiane
10-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I REALLY like the idea!
I'm thinking of doing one for myself, then seeing how people respond ti it. If they want to buy the one that I use, I would make more.
You set a high standard with this one, well done.

Steve Mawson
10-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Forgive me if this is a dumb question -- how did you make the slot for the cards? My thought is to dig out my hollow chisel mortiser.

Like the idea for the card holder, I think I might simplify it and just make a flat on the bottom of the 'barrel' and forgo the stand. Obviously I'm not as much a turner as most of you guys. Still a neat piece.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Jeff,
I used the lathe to bore a 1.5" hole in the blank. Then used a chuck in expansion mode and brought up the tail stock. After it was turned I cut out a piece with a bandsaw. While cutting I used a small clamp, don't like fingers close to the bandsaw blade. The ends were turned round from a piece of walnut and then I sliced off a couple pieces, sanded and glued to the end of the barrel. Not too hard, just several processes.

Steve Schlumpf
10-26-2010, 3:11 PM
Pretty cool idea! Nice detail work! Good luck at your function!

Scott Hackler
10-26-2010, 4:53 PM
That's pretty neat Steve. As soon as I saw the picture I immediately thought that you could use this design to create a business card holder for a judge or such, that looks like the business end of a gavel!

Mark Norman
10-26-2010, 5:03 PM
That's pretty neat Steve. As soon as I saw the picture I immediately thought that you could use this design to create a business card holder for a judge or such, that looks like the business end of a gavel!
That was my first impression. I also like the detail making the barrel look as if it was made of planks.

Baxter Smith
10-26-2010, 9:26 PM
Great idea and neat detail with the staves!