PDA

View Full Version : Trash wood vase

Robert McGowen
10-25-2010, 8:31 PM
I have always admired how someone could take a piece of wood that I would probably have burned and turn it into something really nice. I never seemed to be able to do the same thing. It finally dawned on me that I was using really nice wood with no visible defects and I needed to start out with a hunk of junk (duh!). I found a piece of mesquite in the reject bar-b-que wood pile that had been out in the open weather for at least 3 years.

Mesquite with some sapwood, a bark inclusion, and several grub holes that go all of the way through the side. 7" tall, 1/4" thick walls, sanded to 600 grit, and 2 coats of Danish Oil.

Self critique - There is a slight flattening about midway up that needs a little more outward curve. If you see any other ways to improve, please let me know. Thanks for looking!

James Combs
10-25-2010, 8:35 PM
Yeah, that thing is so trashy I think you need to dispose of it. My address is...:D

Seriously that is one fine looking vase. I can see the slight flattening you mentioned but I don't think it detracts from the beauty of the vase. Just keep them coming.

Jim Burr
10-25-2010, 8:37 PM
I must say Robert that, yes it's junk and my address is one the way!!:D:D
That is one great piece sir!! No complaints or comments except previous offer mentioned

David E Keller
10-25-2010, 8:39 PM
I think it looks great! I agree with your self-critique, but I don't see anything else but pretty wood and a nice looking vase. I've really enjoyed your recent vases!

John Keeton
10-25-2010, 8:42 PM
Trash wood - yes! Trash vase - no way! Nice work, Robert. I do see the flat area, but there is much about this vase I like. For one, I like the larger base. The obsession with having a very small base, with the side turned under just doesn't appeal to me. I like this one!! Really beautiful wood, too!

Steve Vaughan
10-25-2010, 9:00 PM
Well, they say "one man's trash is another man's treasure." You did a wonderful job with this. What boggles my mind is this is the kind of stuff in all our firewood piles and gets burned up...and I'll probably burn a few treasures like this myself.

I think you're exactly right about turning really good wood as opposed to getting what some might consider trash. To me, that just adds value to the piece, just like you have here. I love those holes, adds so much color and character!

Michael James
10-25-2010, 9:21 PM
That's way too cool! Been under your nose for yrs, eh?:)
I love stuff like that, and you did a great finishing job on that. I haven't made a vase yet, but hope to - and I think that is a nice form. Can't honestly say that I would have noticed your "glitch" in the form if you had not mentioned it. Extra wood in your pile? Send me the ugliest you got, I'll pay freight!
mj

Bernie Weishapl
10-25-2010, 9:26 PM
That is amazing and beautiful Robert. May have been trash but is a beauty now.

charlie knighton
10-25-2010, 9:27 PM
very nice, i like mesquite large worm holes better than voids in other wood

Tim Rinehart
10-25-2010, 9:30 PM
Great job. One man's trash, as they say...another man's treasure. That's a fine looking vase.

Curt Fuller
10-25-2010, 10:13 PM
It finally dawned on me that I was using really nice wood with no visible defects and I needed to start out with a hunk of junk (duh!).
:D:D

Well, that would have been a really pretty vase even if you would have used a perfect piece of wood. But I'm one that seems to like the defects, the more defective the better, so I think the vase is absolutely beautiful.

Bill Bolen
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
"sow's ear into a silk purse" I think you did just that. Pretty piece and the curve looks fine to me...Bill..

Baxter Smith
10-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Nice vase, but is mesquite ever trash? or only in Texas.:)

Steve Mawson
10-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Just a beautiful piece. Wish we had wood like that around here.

alex carey
10-26-2010, 4:28 AM
Its Beautiful and thats some wonderful wood. I do have to disagree with Keeton though. There is a rule that I can't quite remember, I think it's called like the 1/3rds rule or something and it pertains to the bottom of a vessel, the middle and the top of a vessel. Maybe someone else knows it. Anyways, I do think the bottom should be a bit smaller.

Josh Bowman
10-26-2010, 6:29 AM
Well, they say "one man's trash is another man's treasure." You did a wonderful job with this. What boggles my mind is this is the kind of stuff in all our firewood piles and gets burned up...and I'll probably burn a few treasures like this myself.

I think you're exactly right about turning really good wood as opposed to getting what some might consider trash. To me, that just adds value to the piece, just like you have here. I love those holes, adds so much color and character!

+1 I like it

Cathy Schaewe
10-26-2010, 9:16 PM
I think it looks just great!