PDA

View Full Version : Source for Record 044 replacement blades?

Paul Erickson
10-25-2010, 7:32 PM
Anyone know a source for replacement blades for the Record 044? I just need a couple of 1/4" blades for a couple of 044's I intend to dedicate to planing grooves for drawer bottoms. So far all the possible sources I have found with google are sold out.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

Trevor Walsh
10-25-2010, 7:47 PM
If you don't find a source, let me know, for some money I could make the 1/4" cutters for you.

David Weaver
10-25-2010, 7:55 PM
Anyone know a source for replacement blades for the Record 044? I just need a couple of 1/4" blades for a couple of 044's I intend to dedicate to planing grooves for drawer bottoms. So far all the possible sources I have found with google are sold out.

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

Do you have a mill file, a set of calipers and a hacksaw?

If you know what thickness they should be, they are the ideal first iron to make because they're small and easy to heat treat.

Stu Gillard
10-25-2010, 8:35 PM
Hi Paul,

You can get a set of 8 new cutters made by Ray Iles.

http://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/

Part number RI012

IIRC I once sent him an email, and he was prepared to sell single irons as well.

Paul Erickson
10-25-2010, 8:36 PM
Do you have a mill file, a set of calipers and a hacksaw?

If you know what thickness they should be, they are the ideal first iron to make because they're small and easy to heat treat.

I don't know what thickness they are supposed to be. If anyone happens to know, that information would be helpful. I do like the idea of making my own. Will look around for material in the event nothing else shows up.

Thanks for the replies.

cheers, Paul

Paul Erickson
10-25-2010, 8:40 PM
Hi Paul,

You can get a set of 8 new cutters made by Ray Iles.

http://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/

Part number RI012

IIRC I once sent him an email, and he was prepared to sell single irons as well.

Thanks for this.

cheers, Paul

Andrae Covington
10-25-2010, 9:50 PM
I have the Marples version of the Record 44. If you decide to make the blades, let me know if you need dimensions. Though if you have other width blades then it should be obvious. Mine does not have the depth adjustment for the blades, so my blades do not have grooves on the back as most of the Record blades do.

EDIT: Looks like Trevor has given you specs on the grooves. My blades are only 3/32" thick instead of 1/8". Length is 2 7/16", call it 2 1/2". Bevel angle is 30°. I can't be 100% certain that was the original angle, but I believe these blades had never been sharpened after leaving the factory.

Trevor Walsh
10-25-2010, 9:58 PM
My original cutters measure 1/8" thick, there are 4 groves that are .072" wide spaced .2" on center. and are half the thickness or 1/16th deep.

Paul Erickson
10-25-2010, 11:14 PM
My original cutters measure 1/8" thick, there are 4 groves that are .072" wide spaced .2" on center. and are half the thickness or 1/16th deep.

Hi Trevor,

Thanks very much. I assume you have access to your 044, I can't get to mine right now. Can you tell if thicker blades could be accomodated?

cheers, Paul

Paul Erickson
10-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Andrae,

Thanks very much.

cheers, Paul

Trevor Walsh
10-25-2010, 11:49 PM
There is some wiggle room, and the 1/8th there is slightly smaller, they are using metric stock I imagine. If I was making them, I'd start with the 1/8th and after lapping to flat and lapping after heat treatment that would be perfect.

Even though there is some room, I don't know why you'd want thicker cutters there. Chatter is pretty much a non issue considering the application. I don't think they would fit 3/16ths stock, mouth issues and chip clearance... and 1/8th inch stock is standard and cheaper than say .155" ground stock, know what I mean?

Paul Erickson
10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
There is some wiggle room, and the 1/8th there is slightly smaller, they are using metric stock I imagine. If I was making them, I'd start with the 1/8th and after lapping to flat and lapping after heat treatment that would be perfect.

Even though there is some room, I don't know why you'd want thicker cutters there. Chatter is pretty much a non issue considering the application. I don't think they would fit 3/16ths stock, mouth issues and chip clearance... and 1/8th inch stock is standard and cheaper than say .155" ground stock, know what I mean?

Thanks, just checking on the possibilities.

cheers, Paul

John Powers
10-26-2010, 8:44 AM
It was surprisingly easy to make a few for a 45 with steel from McMaster and Carr. You need a Mapp torch.

Rob Young
10-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I've found that the cutters from my MonkeyWard 45 (same as Stanley 45) fit my Record 044c. And that the replacement cutters you can still order from Stanley will fit both. Also found that they fit fine in my old Stanley 48 too. Just that it's obvious they aren't original to it since they have the notch and number stamped at the top.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/ploughcutters.html

As to the quality of the steel, I can't say much since my sample set is pretty small. Only replaced a couple and they seem fine but they haven't seen heavy service. YMMV. But being small, it wouldn't be a big deal to rework them with a torch, some oil and a little time.

Trevor Walsh
10-26-2010, 8:01 PM
Andrae, Thats a nice plane you got there, condition is great any guess on the age? My only complaint is the red...I don't think I could stand the red. I'd be tempted to remake one in brass... I get temptations like that a lot, it's bad sometimes.

Andrae Covington
10-26-2010, 9:29 PM
Andrae, Thats a nice plane you got there, condition is great any guess on the age? My only complaint is the red...I don't think I could stand the red. I'd be tempted to remake one in brass... I get temptations like that a lot, it's bad sometimes.

But the red lever cap is part of the charm!:D

I found http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/ploughplane.html when I was considering whether or not to bid on this plane; lots of info about the Record 044 and some about the Marples M44 as well. It has the side clamping screw (holding the cutter in place laterally) introduced in 1949. However, it does not have the depth-adjustment screw, possibly introduced around the same time on the Record models. It has thumbscrews to lock the fence onto the bars, which were changed to round knurled-edge screws in the late 1950's. So I think it's pretty safe to say that it's from the early to mid 1950's.

The box is in pretty sad shape, but I doubt the plane saw much use. I sharpened one of the irons and tried it out, but have not put it to any serious work yet.