PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Sag

Matt Meiser
10-25-2010, 7:06 PM
FYI, 2x material is not sufficient for a ~10' long shelf holding a few hundred 12 packs of soft drinks. Even if you are trying to make a pumpkin face. Even if you do use more 12 packs for the supports.

This is a real picture I took at a Kroger near me. Watching the paper to see if the collapse makes it there. Its kind of hard to see in the picture but its leaning out a few inches from the wall at the top. It actually looks safer in the photo than in real life. Genius!

Rick Moyer
10-25-2010, 7:10 PM
I wonder if it will deflect enough to not allow the doors to open, before it collapses. Hope they take it down be for someone gets hurt.

Conrad Fiore
10-25-2010, 7:26 PM
Probably would have had they turned the 2x's on edge.

Chris Strizver
10-25-2010, 7:38 PM
Let's see, I count about 339 cases. 24 cans per case, so there are 8,136 12 oz. cans.

97,632 ounces....6,102 pounds.

Really? 3 tons of cans supported by 2x12's? :eek:

Matt Meiser
10-25-2010, 7:49 PM
They are only 12 packs--so according to your calculations "only" 3,051lbs but that doesn't include the 4068 cans at .68 oz each which is another 173 lbs. And the cardboard probably isn't negligible. I think they are probably only 2 2x8's since 6 cans * 2.5" = 15" long cases and 2*7.5"= 15" I didn't get close to check.

And all that weight is supported by a couple 12 packs on each end. HOPEFULLY standing upright since they are a lot stronger that way than on their side.

John Coloccia
10-25-2010, 8:07 PM
Any chance the boxes are empty?

Zach England
10-25-2010, 8:44 PM
Looks like a lawsuit in the making.

Mark P. Miller
10-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Any chance the boxes are empty?

Good point, but that looks like an awful lot of sag for empty cardboard boxes.

Matt Meiser
10-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Unless they bought their 2x8's at the borg :)

David Weaver
10-26-2010, 7:49 AM
Well, the good thing about it is that it'll probably all go at once, and give everyone a good show.

Hopefully, nobody will be standing under or near it.

I'll bet they will take it down if it starts to lean away from the wall appreciably, though.

I wouldn't want to be the guy on a ladder waiting for it to fall at me once it starts to lean. Maybe they have a scissor lift.

Chuck Saunders
10-26-2010, 8:14 AM
Clean up in aisle 7 please

Scott Shepherd
10-26-2010, 8:30 AM
Any chance you might call them and talk to the manager? It's all funny until someone's little kid is under it when it collapses. Not sure I'd want 3,000 lbs falling on anyone, much less a kid.

I'd call the manager right away and bring the math to their attention, or either have them tell me to relax, they are all empty.

Mike Null
10-26-2010, 9:27 AM
The cartons are empty. They did the same kind of thing here and I checked them.

The sag is from the length and the weight of the cartons--not all that much but a fairly long span.

Matt Meiser
10-26-2010, 9:32 AM
That's good. The old lady they fall on will probably only have a heart attack, but no broken bones.

When I was in high school I worked in an auto parts store that used empty packages on the upper shelves as decor. One time we had anti-freeze on sale (back when there was the big anti-freeze shortage) and ran out, but had empties of that brand up there. Customers loved when we told them we were out when they could clearly see there were dozens of them up on the shelf. Some wouldn't believe and were convinced we just didn't want to get them down.

Jim Rimmer
10-26-2010, 2:22 PM
That's good. The old lady they fall on will probably only have a heart attack, but no broken bones.

When I was in high school I worked in an auto parts store that used empty packages on the upper shelves as decor. One time we had anti-freeze on sale (back when there was the big anti-freeze shortage) and ran out, but had empties of that brand up there. Customers loved when we told them we were out when they could clearly see there were dozens of them up on the shelf. Some wouldn't believe and were convinced we just didn't want to get them down.
I saw a story about Home Depot's beginnings and they did the same thing to fill the first store for the grand opening. Empty paint cans, empty cartons, etc.