PDA

View Full Version : LV Large vs. Medium Shoulder Plane

Kevin Murdock
12-24-2004, 5:21 PM
All,

I'm new to planes in general, and even more so to "Specialty Planes".

My question is which shoulder plane would you recommend for a first timer's non-bench plane purchase? My mind is set on LV, as the reviews are 50/50 compared to "the competition", and the fact that I've literally got a Canadian Flag tattooed on my arm. :D

I'm looking for overall, everyday use. I'm thinking that the medium will fit into smaller situations, and can do the same as the larger one just with more strokes . :)

Also, the medium is a newer release so maybe a more refined design?

Fellow Creekers, please lend your experience.

Thanks,
/Kevin

Mark Singer
12-24-2004, 6:18 PM
I would get the medium...I have that one and I have the big LN 73...which is too big most of the time

Herb Blair
12-24-2004, 7:06 PM
I agree with Mark. The medium plane from LV is great. Since most projects are not real large, the medium serves me well. I've had it for about a month, and find more and more opportunities to use it. I own a couple of LN planes, and I would compare the fit and finish of the LV to any of the LNs.
I don't think you will be disappointed with the LV medium shoulder plane.

Steve Cox
12-24-2004, 7:23 PM
I'll go with a third recommendation for the medium. I have a small Stanley 93 and the LV medium and there are very few situations where I will need anything larger.

John Miliunas
12-24-2004, 11:24 PM
I'll go with a third recommendation for the medium. I have a small Stanley 93 and the LV medium and there are very few situations where I will need anything larger.
Sorry, I didn't intend on hijacking the thread, but I've been kind of looking at the Stanley's. Steve, is that 93 of late-model vintage? How do you like it?:cool:

Tyler Howell
12-24-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey Kevin!

Got a chance to try them both side by side in a M&T class. The large one is kind of hard to handle. I'm a proud owner of the LV medium.

Steve Cox
12-25-2004, 12:05 AM
John,

Actually, I have the 92 not the 93, I keep getting those numbers mixed up. Anyway, to answer the question if the info is still relevant. Mine is a recent vintage and it works okay. The sole is square to the sides and the adjustment mechanism is fairly precise. When new, the blade projected too far from the sides and didn't work very well. I ground the blade down to just a hair wider than the body and it really improved the plane. It doesn't compare at all to the new LV and I would probably buy all LV shoulder planes if I were starting from scratch and buying new planes. Hopes this helps.

Tom LaRussa
12-25-2004, 1:38 AM
My question is which shoulder plane would you recommend for a first timer's non-bench plane purchase?
I assume you already have both the LA and regular LV block planes?

If so, get the medium shoulder.

If not, get the medium shoulder plus the two block planes.

Merry Christmas!

John Miliunas
12-25-2004, 8:53 AM
John,

Actually, I have the 92 not the 93, I keep getting those numbers mixed up. Anyway, to answer the question if the info is still relevant. Mine is a recent vintage and it works okay. The sole is square to the sides and the adjustment mechanism is fairly precise. When new, the blade projected too far from the sides and didn't work very well. I ground the blade down to just a hair wider than the body and it really improved the plane. It doesn't compare at all to the new LV and I would probably buy all LV shoulder planes if I were starting from scratch and buying new planes. Hopes this helps.
Thanks Steve! Yes, I've heard nothing but good things about the LV's and picked up their Scraper Plane myself. (Nice piece, BTW.) The LA Jack is on my "short list" and, even though I could probably use the 92 or93, I think I'll wait until the LV shoulder planes are back in stock and get the medium. :) :cool:

Mark Singer
12-25-2004, 9:06 AM
The Stanley 90, 92 and 93 were not made to the exacting standards as the LV medium...It would be a duplication and a poor one. The recent ones were machined pretty poorly...so much that when LV introduced the Medium Shoulder, I sent back my 90 for credit toward the LV medium. Great people over there! There is added utility with the LV bullnose....a small Shoulder, like the Clifton #400 or the LN baby shoulder...for small work and for wide tenons the #140 which I picked up recently...a skewed rabbiting block. The re was a post on SMC on how bad the Stanleys were the older one were better.

Jim Becker
12-25-2004, 12:06 PM
I chose the medium for more versatility...and it's a sweet tool!

Steve Cox
12-25-2004, 3:03 PM
Mark,
I won't argue about the poor machining on the Stanleys. When I bought mine the Record 73 had ceased production, the LN version was not yet in production, and the Veritas planes were but a glimmer in the mind of the folks at Lee Valley. In short, there wasn't much choice if you needed a shoulder plane. If I were doing it over again I wouldn't go anywhere near the Stanley and just buy Veritas.

Robert Tarr
12-26-2004, 10:34 PM
First, I will start by saying that I have big hands. I find that for most furniture type (read; not boxes) tennons and cheeks the large is a better/more stable plane to use. I have tried the Medium and find it to be a great plane, but for my purposes think that the large will get a bit more use.

Good luck and definately get a shoulder plane. You will probably use it on most projects.

Robert

Jay Knepper
12-27-2004, 11:15 AM
I have the LV medium shoulder plane and it's been one of my favorite tools. If you are making sofas and chairs you might prefer the large version. Ulitimately we all want both.