PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw X5 = junk

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-25-2010, 4:27 PM
I have to say moving to Corel Draw X5 from X4 has not been good for me. I have now lost my second document due to coruption. The problem is you never know when its going to get corrupted as it saves successfully. Its when you go back and open the file that it crashed X5.

This last one was the clincher. I have lost hundreds of hours worth of work and may never get my design on track again.

IF you have version X4 and it is working for you I strongly recomend you dont move to version X5.

Aaron Koehl
10-25-2010, 4:58 PM
I have to say moving to Corel Draw X5 from X4 has not been good for me. I have now lost my second document due to coruption. The problem is you never know when its going to get corrupted as it saves successfully. Its when you go back and open the file that it crashed X5.

This last one was the clincher. I have lost hundreds of hours worth of work and may never get my design on track again.

IF you have version X4 and it is working for you I strongly recomend you dont move to version X5.
Michael,

If it helps, I had a file that opened fine for years, but suddenly won't open in X4 (Windows 7). I'm pretty sure it even opened in X4 under Vista.

When opening the file in X4, it would freeze, never to recover.

Anyway, in my case, the solution was to open a command line and convert the file to CMX. Voila, perfect file... saved me hours.

Under your CorelDraw directory (wherever coreldrw.exe is), there should be a cdrconv.exe

I used it like this:

cdrconv oldFile.cdr newFile.cmx --cmx

Martin Boekers
10-25-2010, 5:06 PM
I've had issues, with the file working fine on one computer then crashing on the next computer
or being corrupted (that was in 11, I now all the way to 12, Woo Hoo!)

I to found that changing it to a CMX worked, why I have no idea.

Marty

Mike Null
10-25-2010, 5:08 PM
Michael

Is there any back up?

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-25-2010, 11:05 PM
I have backups but they are a couple days old. The problem is that you go and do a save and dont know until the next time you load if its any good. With the current issues X5 has you would have to save to a new version number each time. Thats a lot of files in my case.

This is not an isolated case for this problem. if you do a search on corel X5 crashing you get the picture. The problem is I dont know if its coruption or that it just cant handle the file. These are designes for a CNC machine I am building.

Here is the thing. I can spend the time rebuilding my designs in Corel Draw. of I can spend the time learning a new package. When I first got my laser I spent some time with Ilistrator and did not like it so I think I will look into AutoCad.

Dan Hintz
10-26-2010, 6:48 AM
Michael,

If this happens again (or you still have the file), email me the corrupted file.

Mike Null
10-26-2010, 6:49 AM
Michael

I have had a couple of crashes but nothing significant and I don't remember the last time it crashed.

Did you install the service pack? What oper. sys. are you using?

I use an online back up as well as an external hard drive plus auto back up every 10 minutes.

But I'm lucky as I rarely have over 30 minutes total in creating a file.

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-28-2010, 4:17 PM
I got my file back thanks to Dan. He was able to load it into his version and save me a usable copy. Thanks Dan :)

I was running the trial and that may have something to do with my problem. In any case I ordered my new copy of X5 and suspect that if I apply the service packs that will most likly solve this issue.

I am still moving to autocad for my design work but thats going to be a while before I am fully versed. I will always use coreldraw for my laser as I dont think there is anything else that works as good.

I do stand by my original statement. "if you have X4 keep it and dont move to X5 until its a little more mature"

Mike Null
10-29-2010, 7:17 AM
Michael

Just received my Corel Newsletter and one of the topics dealt with file size. I remembered your post and thought I would direct you to the newsletter. From there they will suggest reading Foster Coburn's tutorial but the point is to try to keep file sizes down.

Kathy Madan
10-29-2010, 3:57 PM
I jumped from CD11 to X5 a few months ago. CD11 was having trouble importing the newer file versions, so I figured it was time. After I installed it, I had some trouble with lasering because of the RGB vs CMYK thing. Then the program just kept crashing. I uninstalled, re-installed, still crashed. Finally called support and they told me I had a corrupted workspace and told me how to fix that. It's working now, but still haven't played with it enough to really work it well. I can still draw faster in the old version. After the holidays, I will have to spend the time to learn it better.

I am not sure if I love it yet, but the biggest improvements are definitely trace and importing. It takes forever to load tho.

Michael Simpson Virgina
10-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I dont have any bitmaps in my drawings so they are normaly pretty small. For instance the X5 file that got messed up was only 700K. Thats pretty small as I have more complicated drawings in X4 they are about 6MB.

I do a lot of drawign off the printable area and this may have been the reason for the problem. At least in the ealyer versions of X5.