PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments......

Dennis Peacock
10-25-2010, 7:52 AM
25 Oct 2010

Good Morning Everyone,
I hope this finds each of you safe and in your own homes. Storms went through here late yesterday spawning a tornado or two but none close to me. I know there were others spawned in Texas, so I'm hoping that our Texas woodworkers are all safe and sound.

I'm proud to say that the firewood is all split, stacked, and cleaned up for this winter. Renting a wood splitter is a great savings in both time and effort.

I have about 6 cutting boards to make for the Christmas season and my daughter is being patient in waiting for me to start her hope chest (and I'm sure y'all are tired of hearing about it!)

Well, I'm off to go and get the LOML's minivan looked at this morning, so I guess I'd better get off here and get busy.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this weekend??

Best of weeks to you all.

Chris True
10-25-2010, 8:46 AM
Managed to cut the dovetails on 5 of the 6 drawers for my tool cabinet, glue up said drawers and fit them to the case. Guess I need a pic with the drawers installed:rolleyes:

1/2 blinds at the front, throughs at the back. Lot's of chisel and saw work...

Matt Meiser
10-25-2010, 9:04 AM
Got my daughter's desk basically designed and purchased went shopping to find some special wood for the panels and hinges. The latter I found but not in the finish I wanted so I ordered something. In the shop, I got an insulated cover made for my exhaust fan since it had been getting down to around freezing last week. Of course today its already warmer than the high most days last week.

Callan Campbell
10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Replaced the 4" casters on my Big Green Egg smoker with 5" better versions from McMaster-Carr. My smoker is stored outside year round, and needs to roll easily over concrete better than the OEM casters that it came with. Much better now. Next, discovered alot of rot at a corner of my garage earlier last week. Had to wait until Sunday to attack it. Removed a few pieces of siding to access it, discovered that the sill plate board was toast, replaced it with PTL and reworked the damaged sheathing while adding several layers of felt/tar paper to help shed water. "Tapped" the studs holding the header for the garage door back into level/plumb and anchored the new pressure treated board to the slab with masonary anchors while I was in there.
It's not even close to the new garage that I want and need, but it will do for a few more years.:rolleyes:

Derek Gilmer
10-25-2010, 5:08 PM
Finished up a privacy fence and got the shop cleaned up after a long break due to the 110 degree heat we've had.

Oh and am back to reading SMC again after a break for weather as well :(

Shawn Pixley
10-25-2010, 5:20 PM
Saturday I milled T&G siding to repair the boards I damaged doing exploratory work to determine the extent of termite damage. Sunday, I completed assembly on a couple of trays I am working. The soaked with BLO. Then framed a platform extension in the great room. Wouldn't have taken as long but I framed in a space for under platform storage.

greg a bender
10-25-2010, 5:55 PM
This weekend i finally got to use some my new tools in my new shop. It's been a self imposed exile from WW for over 10 years. I figured with all the money spent outfitting my new shop (which isn't done, by a long shot), I had best make something.

Decided to make a cat scratchier pad holder for our cat (DUH). I have a whole bunch of Brazilian Cherry crate lumber lingering around here, and decided that would work. Fired up the old Inca and went to town.

Got to use my new Uni and Makita SCMS for the first time. WOOT, this is as fun as it used to be! This is not going to win any awards, nor will anyone here think it's grand, but, to me, it's a start - back into the area I love!

Greg

Kent E. Matthew
10-25-2010, 7:45 PM
I made some progress with my dovetail jig. I think I am almost ready to give it a shot for real.

Jaze Derr
10-25-2010, 9:14 PM
I got a bandsaw!! It's still sitting in the garage until I can get some muscle over here to help me get it down into the basement without killing anyone.

And I got to pick an early birthday present out for myself: got a cordless drill and impact driver kit.

Jim O'Dell
10-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I finished the last three + sheets of OSB for the wall covering in the finishing room. Forgot to get caulk while were were at the Borgs. :confused: Need 2 tubes to finish sealing the seams. I did get a 2 gallon pail of Kilz...and even got the LOML to pay for it! Hopefully I'll get the seams filled and the painting done this next weekend! Jim.

Jim Becker
10-26-2010, 10:21 PM
In addition to my regular weekly dressage lesson (equestrian) on Saturday, I spent a bunch of quality time in the shop doing the final trim work and assembly of my latest tack trunk commission. Putting on the finish starts this coming weekend. I then need to get back on the "study room" project in the house, finishing up the painting and preparing to put down the new wide white pine flooring.