PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Methods

Andrew Kertesz
10-25-2010, 6:11 AM
I'm wondering after seeing a demo by the Robert Sorby rep, Clive Brooks how many use a flat ground method to sharpen their tools. If so what machine are you using?

Claude Arragon
10-25-2010, 6:29 AM
I'm wondering after seeing a demo by the Robert Sorby rep, Clive Brooks how many use a flat ground method to sharpen their tools. If so what machine are you using? i use and have been using for some years now a Diamond Wheel grinder

Andrew Kertesz
10-25-2010, 6:39 AM
Claude,

Thanks for the reply but I believe that is considered a "Hollow Ground" method. Anything that is circular is always going to have a radius in it. The smaller the wheel the larger the radius on your tool. You can't put a straight line on a circle and grind something flat between "Point A" to Point B".

Jeff Nicol
10-25-2010, 7:16 AM
Andrew, A round wheel rotating in a horizontal oreintation will give you a flat grind, I use a diamond wheel that is made for making facets on stone or to make cabochons. It works great for sharpening carbide cutters also.

Just wanted to make it clear that not all round wheels are being used in the vertical position as your statement projected.

More than one way to do things,

Jeff

Andrew Kertesz
10-25-2010, 8:14 AM
You're right Jeff. I didn't think about machines like the Work Sharp.

Mike Davis NC
10-25-2010, 11:45 AM
I have a Wilton 2 x 72 belt grinder that I use for knife making. It works great for most other sharpening too. I also have the 8 inch wheel attachment to go with it but rarely use it.

90% of the time I just touch up the edge on a diamond hone, I try not to let my tools get so dull that i have to regrind them.

David DeCristoforo
10-25-2010, 12:33 PM
"A round wheel rotating in a horizontal oreintation will give you a flat grind..."

Also, if the tool is held in a horizontal position against the edge of the wheel, a "flat" grind can be obtained.

Kim Ford
10-25-2010, 4:19 PM
I use a Jet 6X48 belt sander for all of my flat grinds, skews, scrapers, bedans and such. The top wheel radius is perfect for the parting tool as well.

For the bowl gouges I use the 8" 1750 rpm grinder with the sorby bowl gouge sharpening jig.