PDA

View Full Version : veritas burnisher

Gordon Thompson
10-24-2010, 10:49 PM
anyone use this tool to raise a bur on your scrapers?

does it work well? would you recommend it?

I am thinking of getting one, but wondered what you more experienced folks think.

Thanks.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/ProductImages/turningtools/067006.jpg

Harry Robinette
10-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Gordon
when I was using a bur on my scrapers I used one of this off and on depending on the bur I needed.
I don't use a bur anymore I use a diamond hone over the top and take the bur completely off and make very,very fine cuts(or scrapes).I don't get dig ins,catches.or any pulling into the wood like a bur does.
Hope this helps.
happy turning
Harry

Bob Hamilton
10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
I have one but I found it made my scrapers very aggressive and "grabby". I haven't tried it again for several years so that may have been my skill level at the time rather than the tool.... :D

Take care
Bob

Thom Sturgill
10-25-2010, 7:07 AM
Bought one recently and love it. I polished the top of the scrapers and honed the angled face before raising a burr and the burr seems to last longer and cut cleaner than a grinder burr.

Reed Gray
10-25-2010, 12:30 PM
I have never used one, but love a burr on my scrapers. Most of the time the burr from the grinder is fine. First, I hone off what is left of the previous burr (3 by 9 220 grit diamond stone), then, just push the scraper into the wheel a bit rather than just kissing the bevel. If you want a burnished burr, first, remove the grinder burr, then a few strokes with a card scraper burnisher will do the trick. I prefer the triangle to the round burnisher. How hard you push determines how much of a burr you get. For this burr, I prefer a light, small burr. I use it for finish shear cuts. If you push too hard, and take too many passes over the bevel tip, you can actually turn the burr so far over that it won't cut, or have to angle the tool down so far that it is not easy to use. Also, a heavy burr requires more grinding when you need to refresh the bevel. For roughing cuts, the grinder burr is fine. You can hone a burr on your scrapers, but it is so delicate that it is gone almost instantly, but is fairly easy to rebuild.

robo hippy

Don Geiger
10-25-2010, 5:32 PM
I don't use scrapers hardly at all so I don't know if I'm the best person to respond. I too have one and found that it makes the scrapers very aggressive. If you use them lightly in a shear position it works OK, but like anything- it takes some getting used to.

There's nothing wrong with using the burr you get straight off a wheel.

Don Geiger

Mark Levitski
10-25-2010, 8:47 PM
Gordon, yes have one and it works real well, but I hardly ever use it. I agree w/ Reed and Don that the burr from the grinder is fine for most work.

Clint Baxter
10-25-2010, 9:46 PM
I use mine to touch up my scrapers. I'll use a diamond stone to hone off the old burr and very lightly roll a new one on the burnisher. As long as I don't apply too much pressure, I don't end up with an over aggressive burr.

Clint

Reed Gray
10-26-2010, 12:06 AM
If it is being very aggressive, it could be because you have a big honkin burr on it. I find the burnished burr to be best for the final shear cuts with a scraper, but not worth the effort for roughing cuts, which in my opinion a scraper is the best tool for that job.

robo hippy

Duff Bement
10-26-2010, 7:55 AM
I was reading an article in one of my old wood working books the other night and it was talking about this very subject. This is what I remember.

Use a burr right from the grinder for softer more open grain woods but if you want to put the absolute best cut on a dense wood, buff the top of the scrapper and just burnish it and take light cuts. Because the edge is so sharp it will catch so be careful but you can get a wonderful finish cut.

#1 burr off the grinder for soft wood

#2 hone top and burnish for hard or dense wood (light touch)

Let know how this works for you, Duff

Thom Sturgill
10-26-2010, 8:21 AM
As a point of information - I only use the scraper for fine finish cuts and generally prefer hard dense woods. Reed (Robo Hippy) uses a scraper for both finish cuts and roughing. So how you will use the scraper is probably a deciding factor in whether this device is worth the money to you.

Quinn McCarthy
10-26-2010, 9:28 AM
I have a Ernie Conover video where he said it was a great way to sharpen scrapers. So I bought it and can't figure out how to get it to work. Doesn't seem like I can't push hard enough to create a rolled burr. And I am a big guy. I am getting better edge on the grinder right now but would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Quinn

Gordon Thompson
10-26-2010, 9:32 AM
Thanks everyone, i did end up ordering one yesterday. :)

I use scrapers for darn near everything...:D