PDA

View Full Version : I got the Mrs. on the lathe today.....uh oh

Matt Ranum
10-24-2010, 7:47 PM
Uh oh is right. The hubby has taught the Mrs. how to turn a pen. I am very proud of my first attempt at the pen turning. This is the second attempt the first one blew up on us. But over all I am pretty proud of it. Its a Diplomat in gun metal and chrome with maple and wax for a finish. This is Jo (Mrs. Matt)

Michael James
10-24-2010, 8:03 PM
Fine work, ma'am! I think you need your own lathe and a couple of accessories! The family that turns together, is, um... well a very cool family! You could be a natural talent.:D
mj

John Keeton
10-24-2010, 8:15 PM
Michael, she doesn't need her own lathe - she has one!! On the other hand, Matt needs to be looking for a new lathe!!:D:D:D

Nice work, and congrates on your new found hobby/obsession!

David E Keller
10-24-2010, 8:50 PM
I think that's great! You should be proud of that pen. In your future, I see another lathe, a new SMC membership, and a husband who can't find that special pen blank he was saving!:D

Matt Ranum
10-24-2010, 8:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words!! He doesn't need a new lathe though, he has a clunker sitting on the other side of the shop, he can use that!

Jo

James Combs
10-24-2010, 8:55 PM
OMG now we a twin vortex, can you imagine the sound:eek:. (and the $$$ drain):D

Matt Ranum
10-24-2010, 9:10 PM
OMG now we a twin vortex, can you imagine the sound:eek:. (and the $$$ drain):D

Yeah, great, like I had any money left after I became addicted......now I have to share! :eek:

WHAT HAVE I DONE!?! ....... what have I done :(:o;)

Jim Underwood
10-24-2010, 10:54 PM
I should be so lucky... It would count toward that "quality time" the wife is always needing.

Have fun you two!:)

Joe Scarfo
10-25-2010, 1:20 AM
The LOML absolutely loves turning pens, and is tempted on bowls.. We now have 3 lathes one of which is hers alone and it's a far nice pen lathe than mine...

She also has her own drill press and new Delta 14" bandsaw... This afternoon she had a co worker over who turned 2 for herself and now she's caught the bug...

You'll enjoy making pens... next step is making bowls..

Joe

Roger Bullock
10-25-2010, 8:39 AM
Her new hobby makes your Christmas shopping a lot easier.....and a lot more fun too. Jewelry :confused:, clothes :confused:, appliances, theater tickets:confused:, wood blanks :), pen kits :), CA glue :), pen press. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
10-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Wow Jo! Congrats on a great looking pen - love the curly maple! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Tim Rinehart
10-25-2010, 4:27 PM
Knows what to get each other for birthdays and Christmas holidays!! :D

Hey, I think that's great. I turn a little each evening, or straighten out my shop to find the horizontal surfaces. Each time when I go out, I tell my wife, "are you ready to come out tonight and turn some too?", and I truly look forward to her saying "yes". I even have a nice Delta midi for her to work on, plenty of extra tools and so on.

I hope you enjoy it, whether making pens or the many other things you can do while reducing a block of wood to so many chips and then some part to keep.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-25-2010, 4:53 PM
Great looking first pen Jo!

Brian Brown
10-25-2010, 7:26 PM
Beautiful pen, Big problem...for Matt. Ever since my wife discovered my lathe I rarely see it any more. Oh you're going to go work on the lathe. Here, I'll "help ya". Let's see, maybe if she goes to visit her mother.......................

Bill Bolen
10-25-2010, 10:34 PM
WTG Ms. Jo...beautiful pen...Enjoy the addiction too...Bill...

Jim Burr
10-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Merry Christmas and gratz on the new lathe Matt!!:D:D

Matt Ranum
10-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Merry Christmas and gratz on the new lathe Matt!!:D:D

For some reason I don't think Santa (or Mrs. Santa) is going to deliver a lathe under the Christmas tree this year.

But next year??:rolleyes:

Honey are you reading this???:p

Michael James
10-26-2010, 12:03 AM
For some reason I don't think Santa (or Mrs. Santa) is going to deliver a lathe under the Christmas tree this year.

But next year??:rolleyes:
Honey are you reading this???:p.
Just a suggestion: do the math on setting up a 2 lathe shop. Mini and Maxi makes sense to me, but they're your pesos.
Then "pretend" you're going mr and mrs harley davidson and do THAT math.
After you catch your breath, do the We Are Hot Air Balloon elite.... add those #'s.
Brew a pot of coffee as you look through all the catalogs and websites for that perfect 2nd lathe..... smiling, knowing you just saved tons of cash!
This is your life and it ain't dress rehearsal....live it up!:cool: