PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stoppers

Greg Just
10-24-2010, 7:46 PM
Below is an assortment of bottle stoppers I completed yesterday. I hooked up with a consignment shop in NE Minneapolis and they wanted my travel mugs, bottle stoppers and ornaments. I spent the afternoon starting on a dozen ornaments. The store is having a big ornament promotion on November 20th so I have to get as many done as possible.

The stoppers are all made from locally harvested wood, from cherry to cherry burl to walnut to box elder to oak and finally maple. I also made the stand from a piece of cherry. The wine stoppers were purchased from Ruth Niles.

Doug W Swanson
10-24-2010, 8:11 PM
Hey Greg,

That's a nice assortment of shapes and colors you have there. I also like the stand you made.

Take care!

John Keeton
10-24-2010, 8:13 PM
Greg, I bet you do well with them! Love the cherry burl!

David E Keller
10-24-2010, 8:54 PM
Nicely done. I hope you sell 'em all!

James Combs
10-24-2010, 8:57 PM
Nice selection and some very purdy wood.

Greg Just
10-24-2010, 9:18 PM
Greg, I bet you do well with them! Love the cherry burl!

The cherry burl is my favorite and the wood came from my backyard. Thanks for the kind words.

Michael James
10-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Nice - I haven't made any of those as I have no use for em, but I think I'd like to try a couple. Your display stand is very cool and nicely done for the presentation! Best of luck in the sales dept.
mj

gary beach
10-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Greg, you said you are selling them locally made with local wood? I do the same locally at a store I include the choice of clear plastic case or velvet bag. Out of all of the stoppers I sell here in ole Montana are the ones with the Montana quarter inserted. Try a few with your state quarter bet they'll go.

Harry Robinette
10-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Greg
What are you finishing with,if you don't mind.
Harry

Greg Just
10-25-2010, 7:05 AM
Greg
What are you finishing with,if you don't mind.
Harry

Harry:

I use drench them in BLO, let them dry and then buff. Pretty simple finish but I like the results.

Greg Just
10-25-2010, 7:10 AM
Hi Greg, you said you are selling them locally made with local wood? I do the same locally at a store I include the choice of clear plastic case or velvet bag. Out of all of the stoppers I sell here in ole Montana are the ones with the Montana quarter inserted. Try a few with your state quarter bet they'll go.

Gary:

Most of the wood is either from my own property, friends and neighbors or acquired from my turning club. I don't like to buy wood if I can avoid it but I do buy some kiln dried for my travel mugs just to avoid stability issues.

I have considered the quarters and will keep that in mind. I have also sold stoppers with local college and university logos inserted.

Thanks for the ideas.

Greg

Steve Schlumpf
10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Stoppers look great! Love the color and form variations!

Best of luck with your sales!

What part of NE Minneapolis? Our oldest son and family live in North St. Paul.

Greg Just
10-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Stoppers look great! Love the color and form variations!

Best of luck with your sales!

What part of NE Minneapolis? Our oldest son and family live in North St. Paul.

Steve:

The shop is on 1st Ave, just north of downtown Minneapolis. It is a trendy little gift shop carries all things local and handmade. I live about 14 miles north of Minneapolis, so if you are ever in the area, give a shout.

Greg

George Guadiane
10-26-2010, 11:25 AM
That's a nice grouping of stoppers, and a nice display stand.
Hope you sell out.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Really nice looking stoppers. I do like the display stand.