PDA

View Full Version : Rough cut episode III-Now T'Mac has got my attention

Peter Quinn
10-24-2010, 7:20 PM
Wow, just watched the third installment of rough cut, he's making a lazy susan, which is of very little interest to me, but the techniques he's using and the way he presented them I found very interesting, Veneer inlay, flattening with hand planes, using a TS out fence! "Nice". Makes me want to go into the shop right now and start cutting veneer.

I learned the out fence technique a few years ago and just finished a job at work where it played a big role, but I always looked at it as sort of a millworkers hack. I've never seen it presented elsewhere, so its rewarding to see a fine furniture maker using it. Seems like he's slowing down just a bit. Its the first episode I really want to watch again right away. It never occurred to me to use the out fence for other polygons and pattern work.

Van Huskey
10-24-2010, 7:33 PM
You may want to go to his site and watch some of his pod casts. I really enjoyed the Bombe chest series. He introduced this power tool user to compass planes and router planes.

doug faist
10-24-2010, 7:55 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the term "out fence" and the local PBS doesn't carry "Rough Cut."

Could you describe the technique, or tool, for us not in the know.

Thanks.

Doug

Peter Quinn
10-24-2010, 9:48 PM
The out fence is a fixture you attach to your TS's fence which allows using the TS as a sort of flush trimming device. You make your desired straight edge pattern that gets screwed to the work piece such that the screws won't be cut. (this is not for curves!) The rough size workpiece should be larger than the template. The out fence is basically two pieces of plywood glued and screwed to form an L, which gets clamped to the regular fence. Maybe 3"X3" in this case. One leg of the L is the clamping surface, the other should be positioned just higher above the saws table than the thickness of the workpiece. The leading edge of the out fence is set flush with the outside of the blade relative to the main fence. The out fence edge will provide the bearing surface for the template which rides above the work piece. When the template/workpiece assembly is passed through the blade, the work piece is cut.

In the show for instance a perfect square of MDF was used for a template. It was screwed to a thick slab of walnut, too thick for most router flush trimmers. Four passes and the workpiece was a perfect square. He then turned the template 45 degrees and ran each side again to form an octagon. In my last assignment at work I was flush trimming and rabbiting 45-45-90 triangles that measured 4'X8' with a more stout version of the same fixture.

I'm hoping somebody else uses this technique and can post a picture! It truly replaces a thousand words.

Peter Quinn
10-24-2010, 10:02 PM
You may want to go to his site and watch some of his pod casts. I really enjoyed the Bombe chest series. He introduced this power tool user to compass planes and router planes.

Wow, I guess I know where I'll be spending my nights this week! Watching those pod casts! Thanks for that tip Van.:D

Van Huskey
10-25-2010, 4:13 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the term "out fence" and the local PBS doesn't carry "Rough Cut."

Could you describe the technique, or tool, for us not in the know.

Thanks.

Doug

Have you tried checking the OTA (over the air) digital signal from your PBS station? Many PBS stations (and the other over the air networks) actually simulcast several feeds with different programing. The local PBS station has 4 total feeds and though Rough Cut is on their primary feed, some of the other woodworking shows have been on secondary feeds. Most sat/cable providers only carry the primary feed.

Dan Karachio
10-25-2010, 5:03 PM
Okay, you gotta hear this. I was out of town and my wife went nuts with the DVR. I set up Rough Cut as a series recording long ago. I sat down today with my sandwich, ice tea and cake all excited to see the new episode. It starts and after 1 minute it was over. I know exactly what happened. She set up to record TWO!!! of her shows at the same time as of my Rough Cut and when the DVR asked, she chose hers over mine. I can see no reruns or repeats of this episode on the cable guide!

I think that fair compensation for this marital breach of trust and consideration requires a strong response. I think I should be allowed to go and spend at least $350 on some tools this week. What do you think?

Jerome Hanby
10-25-2010, 5:06 PM
I think you just missed the sale price of $350 on a Powermatic bench top mortiser...

I think that fair compensation for this marital breach of trust and consideration requires a strong response. I think I should be allowed to go and spend at least $350 on some tools this week. What do you think?

Kyle Iwamoto
10-25-2010, 5:12 PM

ONLY $350?????? You need to make her learn to not make the wrong choice! :)

Hope my wife doesn't read this.....

Rick Lizek
10-25-2010, 5:13 PM
The out fence technique is called pattern cutting on the table saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmf3WpnRAbQ

Dave Zellers
10-25-2010, 5:59 PM
The out fence technique is called pattern cutting on the table saw. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmf3WpnRAbQ

That's very cool. I always used a router for pattern cutting but this way would be faster for this example.

Van Huskey
10-25-2010, 7:44 PM

Plaintiff's always want the world....:D

Just pre-order the DVD for $20 shipped (with current coupon code). Add maybe $40 for the trouble of waiting to see it until it is released.

The long term fix is more DVRs and better ground rules! We have 3 DVRs capable of recording 9 channels at any given time (3 of them would have to be OTA channels) and fortunately we have never had any issues, but I have noticed times where we were actually recording 6-7 events at one time. I have yet to see a DVR with truely great onboard logic, I wish I had one that would resolve conflicts better. Not just by priority but look to see if the same episode is repeated within 7 days for one of the conflicted shows, if so record the one not repeated at its given time then the one that is repeated later. Few shows repeat on PBS or the other "regular" networks but repeat several times a week on many "cable" nets.