PDA

View Full Version : Hickory & 1st attempt at pyrography

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-24-2010, 5:45 PM
1st post in awhile, been really busy but I finally had a little time to finish this oneThis is Hickory finished with gloss varnish & balck & metallic copper acrylic paints. With my 1st attempt at adding pyrogaphy texture to the collar. It's 11" tall X 5 1/2" dia.

John Keeton
10-24-2010, 5:49 PM
Pretty neat, Joe! I like the way the grain on the form is filled. Also, is the band on the bottom textured, as well?

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-24-2010, 5:54 PM
Pretty neat, Joe! I like the way the grain on the form is filled. Also, is the band on the bottom textured, as well?
Thanks John.
Only paint, no texture on the bottom. Just textured the top on this one. I didn't really know what I was doing or how it would look.

David DeCristoforo
10-24-2010, 6:20 PM
That is one beautiful vase.

David E Keller
10-24-2010, 7:07 PM
Nicely done. I like the texture that the pyrography has given.

Steve Vaughan
10-24-2010, 7:17 PM
That's a purdy vase there! I like the texture you added and the color. Beautiful grain!

Greg Just
10-24-2010, 7:23 PM
I didn't really know what I was doing or how it would look.

Very nice for not know what you were doing. I think this piece looks great although I would prefer less glossy finish.

Thom Sturgill
10-24-2010, 7:26 PM
Very nice. I haven't tried pyrography yet, but it's on my list along with piercings.

Michael James
10-24-2010, 8:15 PM
Beautiful work, as usual Joe. Your pieces look better in person than photos. The texture adds something, but it's really hard to see exacty "what" as the whole area is textured. Personally, I think I'd like it better if it was highlighted, and perhaps some geometric pattern. (Ok, I'm stuck in the desert):cool:
Regardless of my opinion, your vases are world class, and the hickory is very beautiful. Keep em coming to show us newb's how it's done!
Michael

James Combs
10-24-2010, 8:52 PM
Personally I love the shape, the wood, the grain, and the finish but the texture doesn't do a lot for me.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-24-2010, 8:58 PM
Thanks Michael.
You my remember this was the piece that was on my lathe when you visited me earlier this summer. I was really undecided as to even attempt the pyrography on this piece. This piece has a outstanding grain pattern to it. As you said my photo's don't do justice to my pieces. I'm no photographer. It would be nice to have better pictures but I really don't have much interest in investing the little bit of free time I have to it.
Beautiful work, as usual Joe. Your pieces look better in person than photos. The texture adds something, but it's really hard to see exacty "what" as the whole area is textured. Personally, I think I'd like it better if it was highlighted, and perhaps some geometric pattern. (Ok, I'm stuck in the desert):cool:
Regardless of my opinion, your vases are world class, and the hickory is very beautiful. Keep em coming to show us newb's how it's done!
Michael

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-26-2010, 9:57 PM
Thanks Thom

I know it's not a good picture but the texture is like fish scale.
Also may I suggest that you get some practice using different types of pens on scrap before you try it on a nice piece. I only practiced a few minutes with one pen and I could tell after doing this vase that I should have practiced some more before attempting it on a good piece.
Very nice. I haven't tried pyrography yet, but it's on my list along with piercings.

Bernie Weishapl
10-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Beautiful piece Joe. I like the collar on this one.