PDA

View Full Version : crown moulding on a vaulted ceiling

scott vroom
10-24-2010, 5:13 PM
Finished a challenging crown moulding job last week: vaulted ceilings. The hard part was figuring out the cut angles of the transition piece (the triangle piece in the pic). Ended up buying Wayne Drake's book "Crown Molding & Trim: Install It Like a Pro! (http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Molding-Trim-Install-Like/dp/1581125941/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287953918&sr=1-1). Highly recommended for anyone tackling this difficult job.

Jason Roehl
10-24-2010, 6:38 PM
That looks great, Scott. Very professional, and I'm a painter who has done some carpentry, so I know. Well done!

scott vroom
10-24-2010, 6:59 PM
Thanks Jason. Thank God for caulk!

Jeff Monson
10-24-2010, 7:06 PM
Scott, looks great, I have a bedroom to be done soon with crown and vaulted cielings, I hope mine turns out as well as yours.

Van Huskey
10-24-2010, 7:15 PM
Great job on what is a PITA job!!!

Jason Roehl
10-24-2010, 7:31 PM
Thanks Jason. Thank God for caulk!

I have a saying that I use half-jokingly around carpenters who cause me grief: "Spackle, caulk and paint make a carpenter what he ain't!" :D

scott vroom
10-24-2010, 7:37 PM
Scott, looks great, I have a bedroom to be done soon with crown and vaulted cielings, I hope mine turns out as well as yours.

Jeff, I don't want to sound like a book salesman but I found the Drake book to be invaluable. The cuts are really tricky. You'll need a
True Angle (http://www.amazon.com/Quint-Measuring-Systems-True-Angle/dp/B0002EXEXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1287962550&sr=8-2) and a good compound miter saw (I used my Hitachi 10" SCMS).
I installed backer strips behind the moulding (16D nails shot into the top plate) to provide a tight nail surface + to compensate for areas of the ceiling that had no drywall nailplate above. I used MDF with white glue at the corners. I used scarf joints (splice) on the 2 walls that were longer than my moulding stock. I used painter's (latex) caulk to fill the top and bottom edge gaps and wood filler on the nail holes and corners.
Good luck!