PDA

View Full Version : Lost Password

Gerold Griffin
10-24-2010, 2:20 PM
Hopefully some of the techies here can get us started in the right direction. We lost the password to our checkbook on the puter. I did a quick search for password recovery on google and got a bunch of hits. Tried 2 differant programs and results are less than favorable. Any suggestions would be appriecated.
Thanks

Chuck Wintle
10-24-2010, 3:55 PM
We lost the password to our checkbook on the puter. I did a quick search for password recovery on google and got a bunch of hits. Tried 2 differant programs and results are less than favorable. Any suggestions would be appriecated.
Thanks

what do you mean by checkbook? have you tried "ophcrack" to get the password?

Gerold Griffin
10-24-2010, 4:33 PM
Thanks Chuck. What it is is a program for balencing a checkbook, which is password protected. We have been using the same program for years and finally filled one data base and had to start another which required a new password, which we lost. We finally found where we put it. One of those "help me remember where I put this" things. Only we both forgot!

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-24-2010, 9:50 PM
I often email my various accounts/passwords to myself, so I have a permanent record of it. Not too secure I know, but I will sometimes use some sort of cryptic-representation of the password that only I could figure out.

Jim N Burke
10-27-2010, 1:05 PM
I can't help with the password recovery but look into using KeePass (go to KeePass.info) You can store all of your passwords in a database that is protected by a a strong password. I also use it's feature to require a key file which I keep on a USB stick so I need both the key and the password to open it.
There are other programs available but I am used to this one and it is open-source and free.

I create strong passwords that I don't even try to remember for banking, shopping, forums, and social networking (twitter, facebook). I almost never open one of these sites except from within KeePass, and I never open a link from within an email to log in to a site even when I'm pretty sure it is legit.

Emailing yourself a password or using the same one on multiple sites is kind of like working around equipment while wearing loose clothing - sometime it will catch up to you (or catch on something, as it were) and you'll regret it.

Sorry I can't help with the lost one, but this may help in the future.

Jim