PDA

View Full Version : Paduak and maple flame for guitar

Tim Mahoney
10-24-2010, 12:43 PM
I'm designing a new hardbody guitar with a maple flame marquetry inlay and need advice on the finish. I want this guitar to be a high gloss lacquer finish. I've not used this finish before. I will make some test pieces to experiment on.

The body will be black walnut. I already completed the marquetry flame which is maple cut into paduak. This marquetry panel will get the outline cut and then inlayed into the walnut. I don't think I want the paduak to bleed into the maple although this maybe a nice effect. I also want to do whatever to control the paduak from getting darker. I know it will over time. I've been reading info on the Earlex 5000 but don't spray that often and need a veneer vacuum press first. I finish all my work and don't really want to send this project out and take my chances on someone getting it right. I'd like to learn to do this myself.

Frederick Rowe
10-24-2010, 1:16 PM
Tim - Gutsy move making a guitar your first spraying project. With some practice it isn't out of reach for a beginner though.

First off, spray finishes will require some basic knowledge and skills you may or may not possess. Jeff Jewitt's new book/DVD on spraying finishes is a great resource. Start there.

Next decide on what product you are going to use. Target Coatings Forum has a lot of luthiers who post there and TC has just created a Luthiers Forum but there is not much there as of yet.

As far as whether the paduak will bleed into the maple, it may depend on what materials you use in your finish schedule. I've not worked with paduak so can't provide any help there. Maybe some info on the http://www.stewmac.com/ web site.