PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Bowl

Tony De Masi
10-24-2010, 10:14 AM
This is a curly maple bowl I started with Bill Grumbine back in April when I took some lessons from him. I finished turning it last week. This is the first time that I rough turned a bowl and let it sit for six months and I didn't like it. The process worked but I'm a bit too impatient for it. I prefer the DNA soak. The bowl itself had some checking and cracking issues up near the rim and also in the branch pith. The one near the rim was a through and through crack that was filled with epoxy and coffee.

Bowl measures 11 X 3 and was finished with BLO only. I like the satin look and feel it gave so I just left it at that.

C & C always appreciated.

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Well - it may have taken a while to dry before you finished it - but it was worth the wait! Pretty wood and I really like the slanted rim!

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Really nice bowl Tony. I do like the slanted rim treatment.

Jim Burr
10-24-2010, 1:53 PM
All around beautiful bowl Tony...well done!

Roger Chandler
10-24-2010, 2:30 PM
Nice bowl Tony..........I like the fillers and this is a very nice form. I know what you mean by having to wait for one to dry.........I like to go into a turning session and finish it till it is done........not always possible though....!

Thanks for posting this one!

David E Keller
10-24-2010, 2:52 PM
Pretty wood and nicely shaped. It's just a good looking bowl.

John Keeton
10-24-2010, 5:04 PM
Tony, you did well with this piece of wood - has some challenges, but a bunch of character. Very nice form, and some beautiful curl.

David DeCristoforo
10-24-2010, 5:20 PM
I really like that bowl. Tony! It has a very nice shape and I think the mass accentuates it. The nice wood is just the icing.... I gotta try that one of these days. Making a bowl I mean...

BTW what kind of coffee did you use for filler?

charlie knighton
10-24-2010, 7:21 PM
very nice....

Tony De Masi
10-24-2010, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. The rim detail that some of you mentioned is a very common one that Bill Grumbine likes to use. It may look flat in the pictures but it acutally has a bit of a curve to it.

David, the coffee is Dunkin Donuts Original Blend.:D

steven carter
10-25-2010, 9:18 AM
Beautiful bowl Tony! Good job of filling the cracks, with the branch it probably would have cracked with DNA also. I like the shape, the rim and the finish.

Steve

Curt Fuller
10-25-2010, 9:34 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (whatever a beholder is ;)). The checking and cracking that you mentioned are the kind of things that I always think make wood beautiful. You did a nice job filling in the crack and I love the shape and the thick walls. That's a really nice bowl!