PDA

View Full Version : My First Creeker Visit

Rob Cunningham
10-24-2010, 9:53 AM
Baxter Smith and his wife stopped by yesterday on their way to Maine. We spent about an hour and a half in my shop talking about turning and other things. He tried out my home made hollowing rig and I think wants to build his own. Baxter was kind enough to bring some Cedar, Birch, Apple and Holly. All woods that I have never turned before. I sent him away with some Silver Maple, Sycamore, Mulberry, and Walnut.
It was great to finally meet someone in person from the fantastic group of people we have here.
Safe travels Baxter.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-24-2010, 9:58 AM
Congratulations to both of you Rob!

I have had the pleasure of meeting several Creekers and haven't been disappointed yet.

Steve Schlumpf
10-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Always great to hear when Creekers get together! Sounds like you both had fun!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of the wood Baxter gave you!

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2010, 11:27 AM
Congrats to both. Creeker visits are the best.

Baxter Smith
10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
and to prove that it really did happen....
When Rob offered to let me take a look at his home made articulated arm hollowing system a few weeks ago I was very interested and planned on someday taking him up on it. I was fortunate to be able to do it pretty quickly! A great looking setup to say the least!
Although I migh be able to make one that would work, the fit and finish certainly wouldn't be matching this one!
Just as impressive was the treadmill motor and switch he had rigged up to give him variable speed - which can be seen in the background. I have a vs speed reeves drive on a 69 delta rockwell that goes down to 340 but his goes way down and is quiet!
I greatly enjoyed our conversation, the tour of his shop and the wood he sent me off with.
Thank you Rob for a thoroughly enjoyable visit!