PDA

View Full Version : Tool Oiler, Quick project, lasting results

Herb Blair
12-24-2004, 12:28 PM
In my neanderings, I sharpen plane blades, chisels, lap plane soles, and various other workings with steel. In the past I've always got out the oil can, squirted a little on the tool and wiped it down with a rag. It works, and so far has kept the rust off my tools. While watching a David Charlesworth video a couple of weeks ago, David used what looked like a stamp pad to oil his tools. Hey, that's a great idea. So yesterday I went off to the office supply to buy a large un-inked stamp pad. No dice, they don't exist at a Office Depot in Dallas.
So, I decided to make my own. The following pictures will give you an idea of what I came up with.

Tom LaRussa
12-24-2004, 4:46 PM
In my neanderings, I sharpen plane blades, chisels, lap plane soles, and various other workings with steel. In the past I've always got out the oil can, squirted a little on the tool and wiped it down with a rag. It works, and so far has kept the rust off my tools. While watching a David Charlesworth video a couple of weeks ago, David used what looked like a stamp pad to oil his tools. Hey, that's a great idea. So yesterday I went off to the office supply to buy a large un-inked stamp pad. No dice, they don't exist at a Office Depot in Dallas.
So, I decided to make my own. The following pictures will give you an idea of what I came up with.
That's a cool idea Herb.

BTW, what kind of oil do you use?

Roy Wall
12-24-2004, 5:12 PM
I think he said 10-30w, but no brand mentioned.......

Is a machinist's oil, 3 in 1 or similar - any better???.....

And how does it affect the wood?? I assume its wiped & dried before the next use...

Terry Hatfield
12-24-2004, 6:09 PM
Herb,

What a great idea!!! That is so cool. :cool:

t