PDA

View Full Version : Silestone polishing

Randy Rizzo
10-24-2010, 9:09 AM
Anyone had any success polishing Silestone. I've done some research on the internet and there's lots of horror stories out there, discoloration, scratches, etc. Our countertops have never shined like I've seen on any of the displays. They just have a dull sheen to them. Look great when they're wet! Pledge in a spay can appears to restore the shine, but it's a short lived one and requires constant re-application. A paste wax? Or just live with it?

Joe Leigh
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Firstly Silestone is approx 95% Quartz. There are only three minerals harder than Quartz and one of them is Diamond, so forget about scratching it. Discoloration is NOT an issue. Secondly, there are several finishes for Silestone so it depends on which product you bought. If you bought a style with a matte or satin finish then there's not much that can be done.
I have a color from the Stellar series which has a highly polished surface, a quick shot of Pledge and it's perfect every time.
One of the advantages it has over Granite is that it never needs to be sealed, something that is a point of contention between Granite owners.

Randy Rizzo
10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks Joe. I gave the counters a shot of Pledge and it restored the luster I thought they should have. As for the other issues, discoloration, scratches, I'm not exactly sure how that happened, but it was reported on more than one site that I viewed.

Belinda Barfield
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I would like to respectfully disagree with Joe. Discoloration can occur when quartz surfacing materials (Silestone, Zodiaq, Cambria, etc.,) are exposed to high heat over an extended period. Think electric skillet or slow cooker. Dry polishing can also cause discoloration if the material overheats. Silestone can also be scratched. If the finish is dull, the finish is dull. There is no surfacing technique to make it shine short of face polishing (possibly) at the factory. Surface treatments are just that as Silestone is non porous. Sorry, this is one of those cases where it is what it is.

Gene Howe
10-26-2010, 1:40 PM
I'm not the OP, but, Thanks Belinda~ You've helped me make up my mind.

Belinda Barfield
10-26-2010, 1:48 PM
I'm not the OP, but, Thanks Belinda~ You've helped me make up my mind.

Not sure what I helped with . . . but glad I helped! :) Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if I can be of further assistance.