PDA

View Full Version : Going to pick up my new (to me) Jointer today!!

Tim Morton
12-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Only two more hours!!! I feel like its Christmas or something!! And yes Tyler the digital camera is charging!!! :D

Corvin Alstot
12-24-2004, 6:33 PM
Tim/
Okay, its been two hours-where are the pictures?
Did you get your jointer?

Bruce Page
12-24-2004, 7:24 PM
Tim, those batteries outta be charged by now!

Ted Shrader
12-24-2004, 7:31 PM
Tim -

Cough 'em up! Or are you busy playing with your new toy? :) :)

Congrats,
Ted

Tim Morton
12-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Sorry guys, got caught up in "christmas" stuff ....I did pick it up. Looks to be in OK shape, a little more rust on the base than i was expecting, but other than that it seems fine. I will post pictures tomorrow. For those who don't know...its a Powermatic Model 60 8" jointer built in 1989. I think it will need a new motor, link belt , knives and a good scrubbing. Also thinking about a mobile base to make it more, uh well...mobile.

Merry Christmas to all :cool:

Byron Trantham
12-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Congrats. Looking forward to the pictures, right Tyler? :D

Tyler Howell
12-25-2004, 3:03 PM
This Thread has been officially declared a Non Gloat for failure to produce pictures in a timely manner. :mad:

Non Gloat

A 10 picture penalty has been assessed for non compliance.

Tim Morton
12-25-2004, 4:09 PM
Here are a few pic's....its looking pretty rough right now, and a big part of me thinks i should have gone for the brand new grizzly. Maybe after i clean it up i wll feel different. It was an awkward position to be in since this was a friend and client of mine. Had it been a stranger and i saw the amount of rust on this unit i would have walked away...but once i clean it it up i hope i feel as though it is was worth it. The thing that has me most worried is the rust on the cutter head. Once i get it inside and put some elbow grease into it i will post some cleaner pix...but i know Tyler wasn't going to sit down to his turkey dinner till these were posted :D

Bruce Page
12-25-2004, 4:47 PM
Tim, it will clean up nicely and the PM model 60 is an American classic. Plus, you'll know the machine inside & out. I think you chose right.

Congrats!

Jim Kountz
12-25-2004, 5:14 PM
Hey Tim, congrats on the new jointer. Dont worry, from what I see in the pictures the rust is very minor compard to some machines Ive saved. My old 1967 Craftsman shaper was in a lot worse shape than that when I got it and it looks brand new. Not as hard as you think either. I used Naval Jelly, orbital sander, wire wheels on the drill and everything else I could to get it off but it shines like a new penny. I would have jumped on this jointer too, that tiny bit of rust wouldnt bother me at all!

Tyler Howell
12-25-2004, 6:21 PM
That's going to clean up real nice Tim It will be filled with great learning opertunities as well as Kodac moments

Corvin Alstot
12-25-2004, 9:44 PM
Here are a few pic's....its looking pretty rough right now, and a big part of me thinks i should have gone for the brand new grizzly. Maybe after i clean it up i wll feel different. It was an awkward position to be in since this was a friend and client of mine. Had it been a stranger and i saw the amount of rust on this unit i would have walked away...but once i clean it it up i hope i feel as though it is was worth it. The thing that has me most worried is the rust on the cutter head. Once i get it inside and put some elbow grease into it i will post some cleaner pix...but i know Tyler wasn't going to sit down to his turkey dinner till these were posted :D
Tim/
Looks pretty nice from the photos and I am sure it will clean up quite nice. I am not sure what your concerns are about the cutter head and rust. I think a year from now once you have it running and its all tuned up you will be glad you made the purchase, and your friend will be sad he sold it.

Jim Dunn
12-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Hey Tyler,

Is it now a 12 pic penalty because of your late dinner??

Tim Morton
12-25-2004, 10:17 PM
tommorrow I'm cooking a 1olb prime rib roast and hopefully that will bribe a couple friends to come help me lift it out of the truck and down into my warm basement. I will experiment with some diffent ways to clean the rust off and talk to my brother about sanding down the base and completely repainting it PM yellow. I have an email into PM to see if I can get the paint code. if I get anywhere with the cast iron i will post some pictures. I can see this turning into a money pit, as i want to order the mobile base, link belt & pulley, motor and now I am thinking about ordering a new magnetic switch.

John Edwards
12-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Many a machine is taken apart and bead blasted. This will remove all the rust. Then you can prime and paint. PM stocks the paint in spray cans.

After bead blasting the cast iron will polish up easy with a bit of rub down.

Whats wrong with the motor ? If it`s 3 phase then simply get a phase convertor. Now I am assuming the magnetics match the motor. Sure the belt is worth replacing. But the pulleys should be ok if they have not been damaged. Motors are cheap to replace however. Check Grainger or ebay.

Take a step back and evaluate just what you really need to do. It sounds like you may be spending money you dont need to.

Or if you want. Give it to me and I`ll rebuild it for you for a couple bucks.

Ted Shrader
12-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Tim -

That will clean up with absolutely NO problems. I have an even older (it is green) PM Model 50 6" jointer in my garage that was in far worse shape. It was torn all the way down to parade rest - not hard to do - thoroughly cleaned, painted and reassembled. It just purrs now. The older iron (relatively speaking) you have is worth the time.

Have fun and take lots of pics,
Ted

John Edwards
12-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Looked at that picture again.

That is not a magnetic switch. Simply a push button on/off. Unless it`s broken leave it alone. I am guessing that it is a single phase 1-2 hp motor.

However Allen Bradley sells switches and enclosures that you can use.

And the fact that you live in Vermont kinda puts the damper on having me help ya out....

Some of my machines were in far worse shape then your jointer. Never know that to see `em now.

http://www.marsh-monster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1288

Tim Morton
12-25-2004, 11:09 PM
The motor is not working...it grinds when turning on. Might be able to be repaired, but I would guess it might be just as effective to replace. its a 220v baldor 1 1/2 HP. IThe pulleys may be OK, but the belt was cut to seperate the 2 pieces. Its 14 years old and judging by the rust I was planning on changing out the switch "just because"...you are right though, no need to plow money into this..part of me is just getting adjusted to the fact that it needs a lot of work.

Bruce Page
12-26-2004, 1:05 AM
Tim,

I rebuilt/restored this SIP Jig Bore several years ago, as you can see, it was in much poorer than your PM. It turned out to be an enjoyable project. ;)
Boy, my garage shop sure looked different back then...

Jim Becker
12-26-2004, 3:50 PM
I'm with Ted...your "new" jointer will clean up quite nicely. Rust is generally a surface thing in most cases and once you clean it off, you'll be left with a wonderful surface. And the good news is that jointers are pretty simple tools mechanically, so most of what you need to do revolves around "elbow grease". That will be a fine addition to your shop, Tim! Congratulations and happy holidays!

CPeter James
12-26-2004, 5:51 PM
An older made in America machine is much better than any import. Don't be disheartened by the rust. My table saw was sitting out in the woods, uncovered. I brought that back as well as a Delta 8" jointer from the 50's and now have a Delta 15" DP that I just picked up. Yes the tables will never have that showroom shine, but the workings are built to a much higher quality. This is a GREAT find!!!!

CPeter

Tim Morton
12-26-2004, 8:03 PM
I have taken away alot of the rust frm the table top, and am left with some ugly black stains...not sure what to do next to get rid of the stains, if it is even possible. So far i have used scotchbrite and wd-40, and also some hand cleaner that I read about online. They bith work well on the rust, but I wonder if i can get the newness back to the cast iron.

Jim Dunn
12-26-2004, 11:05 PM
Tim,
Probably not. Cast iron has a tendency to stain. The only way to remove the stain is to grind the top again.

Jerry Olexa
12-27-2004, 12:49 PM
This Thread has been officially declared a Non Gloat for failure to produce pictures in a timely manner. :mad:

Non Gloat

A 10 picture penalty has been assessed for non compliance.
Tyler Please show some mercy toward this good man. HE WAS PROBABLY READING THE BOOK HE WAS GIVEN FOR CHRISTMAS (AS I WAS) ABOUT THE REDSOX VICTORY IN THE WORLD SERIES!! (Excuse the caps lock key). That jointer will ,as John Candy said in "Planes, Trains..": Buff right out.. Enjoy your new jointer and reco you wax it after you remove the rust.

Tim Morton
12-27-2004, 10:10 PM
here is what a little elbow grease will do..I found some hand cleaner that someone recommended (gojo?)and it cleans the rust and black spots off pretty easliy.I have a long way to go still and then I will need to find a way to polish it up nice and shiny. :D

Scott Parks
12-27-2004, 10:13 PM
I have a long way to go still and then I will need to find a way to polish it up nice and shiny. :DI think if you start with 100 grit glued on to a large flat surface and it will grind down to get the black stains off. Then go with 220 grit and work all the way up to 2000 for a mirror finish!

Jim Dunn
12-27-2004, 11:51 PM
Alright now, that's a powermatic and a Redsoxs GLOAT in one thread! Enough already leave my beloved REDBIRDS alone. (Gonna cry in my Budwieser some more.)