PDA

View Full Version : road rage

Chuck Wintle
10-23-2010, 9:08 PM
friday morning i was a victim of road rage and this was less than a quarter mile from my home. I was so shocked because I was just minding my own business on my way to work and another motorist tried their level best to ram me as I was making a left hand turn. I had to jerk the wheel hard to the left to avoid being hit on the passenger side. and that was not enough for the other driver. He then sped up, passed me and proceeded to cut me off. over 20 years taking the same road to work and this is the first time this has happened. :mad:

Don Alexander
10-23-2010, 9:19 PM
we had enough trouble with that type of driving here that they finally passed an aggressive driving law and amazingly enough they actually make a real effort to enforce it unfortunately there are still plenty of idiots who drive like they are trying to run over you

anytime you get in a car and get to your destination safely thank God :)

Bill Cunningham
10-23-2010, 9:35 PM
Your best bet, is to just take note of the plate number, and call 911 and report it as a DWI.. That will get the cops out for sure, and make sure they fully check him out.

It's not just on the roads either. A number of us tied up at a waterway lock, had some moron running a 40 footer and pushing a wall of water 4 feet high while approaching the lock channel. Needless to say we were all trying to keep the damage to a minimum but it's awful hard to control a large boat tied to a wall with a four foot wave headed at you.. The Operator of the boat turned out the be a full patch member of the H.A.M.C. and he acted the part, and even offered to kick the butt of the guy who suffered the most damage to his boat if he didn't stop lecturing him. This fellow noticed a can of beer in the wheelhouse while the boat was going down in the lock so a quick cell phone call to the local police, had a marine unit pull him over, and no doubt while searching the boat they probably found some 'other stuff'.. His 40 footer may very well have be confiscated for having some 'other stuff' on board.. The name of the boat: D E A L E R ship, and it probably was..

Mike Henderson
10-23-2010, 10:47 PM
friday morning i was a victim of road rage and this was less than a quarter mile from my home. I was so shocked because I was just minding my own business on my way to work and another motorist tried their level best to ram me as I was making a left hand turn. I had to jerk the wheel hard to the left to avoid being hit on the passenger side. and that was not enough for the other driver. He then sped up, passed me and proceeded to cut me off. over 20 years taking the same road to work and this is the first time this has happened. :mad:
Just a question. If you were making a left hand turn, it seems that someone would come close to hitting you on the driver's side as they tried to pass you on the left. Is is possible you were making a right hand turn? If someone was on the right side of you, they would come close to hitting you on the passenger side.

Mike

Chuck Wintle
10-24-2010, 5:08 AM
Just a question. If you were making a left hand turn, it seems that someone would come close to hitting you on the driver's side as they tried to pass you on the left. Is is possible you were making a right hand turn? If someone was on the right side of you, they would come close to hitting you on the passenger side.

Mike

not of theya re makig a right hand turn coming from the other direction. as i was making a left another car was also making a left. the driver that nearly rammed me was behind the left turning car. i was 90% through the turn when this driver decided to try and ram me....on the passenger side.

Matt Meiser
10-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Around here you turning in front of him would have been failing to yield the right of way unless he was making a right turn on red.

Chuck Wintle
10-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Around here you turning in front of him would have been failing to yield the right of way unless he was making a right turn on red.

he was behind another car turning left so in theory i had the right of way since he had not advanced far enough to begin his turn. but when he saw me turning ans as soon as the left turning car was gone he floored his car to point where he was almost in my back seat on the passenger side.

Matt Meiser
10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Still.....

Scott Shepherd
10-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I see more and more, what I call idiots, on the road weekly. We have a 6 lane road that runs right through the city. Speed limit 45. Can't seem to get people to do more than 30mph. Drives me insane. If you do 42, you can nail every stoplight for miles. If you do 30, you get caught by every one of them.

I try to be a nice driver, if I'm on the highway and I want to get over one lane, and I check the mirror and see someone coming up, I'll let them pass. However, what's happening these days, is if I try to get over, behind that car, the car behind me will get pissed and try to get around me. So they'll take the spot I'm waiting for, and then block the hole for me getting over. Then it's a vicious cycle, I can't get over because people are trying to get around me. If you try to be nice and drive decent, you'll get run over.

Then you have those people that, as soon as you put your signal on to change lanes, they speed up to keep you from getting in front of them. If you slow down to get behind them, then see above statement. If you speed up to get in front of them, they speed up. It's like you don't want me in front of you and you won't let me in behind you, so what is it exactly you'd like me to do?

Chuck Wintle
10-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Still.....

I suppose, in the end, you have a point.

Chuck Wintle
10-24-2010, 10:59 AM
I see more and more, what I call idiots, on the road weekly. We have a 6 lane road that runs right through the city. Speed limit 45. Can't seem to get people to do more than 30mph. Drives me insane. If you do 42, you can nail every stoplight for miles. If you do 30, you get caught by every one of them.

I try to be a nice driver, if I'm on the highway and I want to get over one lane, and I check the mirror and see someone coming up, I'll let them pass. However, what's happening these days, is if I try to get over, behind that car, the car behind me will get pissed and try to get around me. So they'll take the spot I'm waiting for, and then block the hole for me getting over. Then it's a vicious cycle, I can't get over because people are trying to get around me. If you try to be nice and drive decent, you'll get run over.

Then you have those people that, as soon as you put your signal on to change lanes, they speed up to keep you from getting in front of them. If you slow down to get behind them, then see above statement. If you speed up to get in front of them, they speed up. It's like you don't want me in front of you and you won't let me in behind you, so what is it exactly you'd like me to do?

many idiots on the roads these days....many.

ray hampton
10-24-2010, 11:00 AM
don't sweat the other driver habits, their driving style are a
good indicator of their character

David Weaver
10-24-2010, 11:24 AM
he was behind another car turning left so in theory i had the right of way since he had not advanced far enough to begin his turn. but when he saw me turning ans as soon as the left turning car was gone he floored his car to point where he was almost in my back seat on the passenger side.

Around here, if you got there first and there would be nobody in front of the guy, they'd call that a "pittsburgh left".

People who have to make a quick left always make a presumptuous turn quickly before the people who actually have the right of way go.

In your case, though, it sounds like the guy thought that he was going to be able to make the turn before you, regardless of whether he was actually at the intersection, and when you got into it first, he wasn't satisfied that he couldn't beat you there.

Too bad you couldn't bear spray him.

I've seen thousands of pittsburgh lefts, and no matter how much of a hurry i'm in, the worst I've ever thought was "wow, that was presumptuous".

Ted Jay
10-24-2010, 12:19 PM
What you need is a road rage detterent vehicle.... which I have.
I installed an additional "road rage detterent attachment" to to front of it also.

Very effective. Also makes switching lanes easier.:eek::D

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/3121014675_cfe4d6e0c2_b.jpg

ray hampton
10-24-2010, 12:43 PM
let me guess, snow plow ?

Ray Bell
10-24-2010, 1:15 PM
I suppose, in the end, you have a point.

There may be a legal point here, but it does not excuse the action. He obviously saw you, and instead of just politely waiting, actually sped up. Sometimes the deteriorating lack of civility in this country amazes me.

Brian Elfert
10-24-2010, 4:54 PM
Just drive a 43 foot motorhome pulling a 20 foot trailer and nobody will mess with you. :) Seriously, people tend to get out of my way as soon as I turn on the turn signal. I was merging onto a very crowded freeway recently and I was surprised that cars actually let me in. I guess they were smart and realized who would win in a collision. Sometimes when my friends drive my motorhome they will start creeping over into the next lane if a car won't let them over. They generally get the hint.

The worst incident ever on the road was when I was on a two lane highway. A Ford Explorer pulled over and stopped in a lane for bypassing left turning vehicles. I continued straight and this moron did a U turn right in front of me. I had to make a sudden left turn at 60 MPH onto the side street to avoid hitting the vehicle. I was lucky to be in my VW Golf instead of my 1 ton truck. My truck probably would have run right into the other vehicle.

George Skinner
10-24-2010, 8:12 PM
Don't mean to highjack the thread but Ted is that a custom bumper and guard or a stock item? My father just hit another deer today for about the 6th time and I am getting tired of replacing the grille and headlights. That would make a great deer deterrent.

Rory Talkington
10-24-2010, 9:11 PM
Ted, looks like you have anti-road-rage tires and suspension as well....:D.

Ted Jay
10-25-2010, 5:56 AM
Don't mean to highjack the thread but Ted is that a custom bumper and guard or a stock item? My father just hit another deer today for about the 6th time and I am getting tired of replacing the grille and headlights. That would make a great deer deterrent.

George,
It's a stock Ranch Hand Bumper that I had Powder Coated white, as they come in any color you want as long as it's black!
I had this installed after I hit my first deer and $4K worth of damage.

Ted Jay
10-25-2010, 6:00 AM
Ted, looks like you have anti-road-rage tires and suspension as well....:D.

Yes Rory it has a bit of a lift to it. I'm 2 inches shy of 7 foot tall, most parking garages are at 7 foot, which is the height of the last three garages where I was working.
It's a great deterrent....

George Skinner
10-25-2010, 6:38 AM
Thanks Ted, will look it up.

Dan Hintz
10-25-2010, 8:37 AM
That would make a great deer deterrent.
Sure, and it has the advantage of automatically turning the deer into hamburger, conveniently delivered to your radiator in minced form. :p

glenn bradley
10-25-2010, 8:48 AM
There's lot of frustration out there at this point in history. Some of it comes out on the road. Certainly doesn't make it right but, it makes me more cautious out there. There seems to be some kind of force field around my town. Perfectly normal people become idiots behind the wheel once they enter the city limits.

Jerry Thompson
10-25-2010, 8:35 PM
I can tell you about "Road Rage." I am an RN and I do home health work.
One day, as I waved a lady across the street to turn left in front of me, an air horn blasted behind me. The next thing I knew a car was along side of me. The driver yelled "You Honkey #$&** and proceeded to speak in words I could not understand. Then his passenger stuck an auto loader out the window and pointed at me.
I was not scared. Not that I am brave but I could not process all of it at that moment.
I turned onto the street to my right and went on down the road. I looked in my mirror and saw that they had gone the other way.
About two blocks down the street it all hit me and I had to stop and open the door to vomit.
I told the cop that I had done the right thing, I was alive.

Belinda Barfield
10-26-2010, 12:46 PM
let me guess, snow plow ?

Cow Catcher! :D

Dan Hintz
10-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Cow Catcher! :D
Paint a few black spots and it'll only be good for Holsteins :p

Jim Rimmer
10-26-2010, 2:08 PM
Still.....
Maybe so but is it worth having a wreck to prove your point? That is something I just don't understand. I've seen lots of people here in Houston put a $30K+ vehicle at risk to either"teach you a lesson" or gain a 2 second edge on the rest of the traffic.

Matt Meiser
10-26-2010, 3:05 PM
I wasn't saying that but pointing out that it probably wasn't totally unprovoked. Had it been the other guy who came here and posted about the jerk in a hurry who made a left turn right in front of him because he couldn't wait 10 seconds for traffic to clear the reaction still would have been the same.

Personally I'm always leery of a left turn in this exact situation.You just never know what that next car in line is going to do. They very well might not even see you--they could be watching the car in front of them, making sure they are clear enough to proceed etc and never look to see if someone is violating their right of way. The trickiest is when you are opposed to someone else of the same mind. Neither wants to go because they are afraid of what the next guy is going to do.

alex grams
10-26-2010, 3:43 PM
A 'Pittsburgh left' is something I have never heard of in Texas.

In your scenario in Texas you would clearly be at fault if the oncoming vehicle hit you, even as much of a jerk as the person may be for speeding up.

Jim Rimmer
10-27-2010, 1:21 PM
The trickiest is when you are opposed to someone else of the same mind. Neither wants to go because they are afraid of what the next guy is going to do.
I lived in a small town in Iowa for two years and always dreaded the 4 way stops. Folks there are so nice, no one will go first. They just keep signalling each other "You go. No, you go." :rolleyes:

Matt Meiser
10-27-2010, 1:47 PM
Around here 99% of people will follow the rules. Its the drivers of the $50K cars to watch out for. They frequently feel exempt. At least that was my experience with 3 4-way stops that were on my way to work for the 10 years or so I worked in Ann Arbor.

Art Mulder
10-27-2010, 2:29 PM
Folks there are so nice, no one will go first. They just keep signalling each other "You go. No, you go." :rolleyes:

I've been in several situations where people are doing something like that... only I can't tell because their windows are tinted, or the angle of the sun is directly in my eyes.

alex grams
10-27-2010, 4:03 PM
Matt,
I think blinkers are optional on Land Rovers. They are by far and away the worst habitual non-users of blinkers.

Matt Meiser
10-27-2010, 4:12 PM
That might not be the driver's fault. Don't they use Lucas electronics? :D