PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Quality Tool Tip

Gary Conklin
10-23-2010, 8:14 PM
For anyone looking for a good deal on some nice turning tools, Woodcraft has their Sorby Sovereign tools on special. These are quality M2 HSS, the tools are much less than regular Sorby tools, why...they are unhandled to be used in the Sov. system nothing a quick turn of a handle won't take care of. Enjoy your new tools!

Michael James
10-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Looks like all the Sorby stuff is on sale at the website....Just checked.

Scott Hackler
10-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Those prices arent too bad for Sorby steel. I just bought a 3/8" out of this group and reground it for what I wanted and turned my own handle.

A quick look at Dougs site and these seem to be a little bit cheaper than buying his, expecially with a free shipping deal from Woodcraft. I dont know how the steel compares, though.

Looks like this new system from Sorby didnt take off and now they are trying to liquidate the stock.

Jake Helmboldt
10-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Those prices arent too bad for Sorby steel. I just bought a 3/8" out of this group and reground it for what I wanted and turned my own handle.

A quick look at Dougs site and these seem to be a little bit cheaper than buying his, expecially with a free shipping deal from Woodcraft. I dont know how the steel compares, though.

Looks like this new system from Sorby didnt take off and now they are trying to liquidate the stock.

Doug's steel is better. I have both (and got the Soverigns and turned my own handle).

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Ditto what Jake said. I bought one of the Sorby's and it is ok but not a Thompson.

Gary Conklin
10-24-2010, 2:53 PM
I own both Sorby's and Thompon's love them both!!

Mike Peace
10-24-2010, 3:49 PM

Actually Sorby generally runs a 20% off most of their turning tools each October. At least they have for the past three years at the local WC. Some exceptions are their spiraling/texturing system. The Sovereign tools really are a pretty good deal since they are exactly the same gouges but without the handles. At least that is what the Sorby rep said during a demonstration.