PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Handling

Tim Bateson
10-23-2010, 6:53 PM
I recently worked a large order for crystal awards. I'm hoping to gain a contract with the firm to do these on a regular bases.

Now... What is an efficient way of handling these? Between the water spots from washing post-engraving and fingerprints... well let's just say I spent way too much time polishing these crystals. I've considered cloth gloves, but am concerned with gripping well enough to keep from dropping them.

Any other advice?

Side Note: Thanks Mike for your prior advice on this contract.

Chuck Stone
10-23-2010, 8:23 PM
I would look into finger cots. You can get them by the gross for about $15
or so. They look like little condoms, fit over the fingers and they won't leave
fingerprints. They have grip, as they're made of rubber.

Mike Null
10-24-2010, 5:58 AM
Tim

I use cloth throw-away gloves. They're really cheap -- I think I bought two dozen at a quarter a pair.

Martin Boekers
10-24-2010, 8:40 PM
I use gloves just as Mike, and if the client has quite a few awards I give
them a few pairs. They appreciate the extra service!;)

Marty

Dave Gates
10-26-2010, 1:53 AM
I'm a fan of the cloth gloves too. Never dropped any items with them.

For the final cleaning before boxing up, I like to use glass cleaner that sprays as a foam(no ammonia) and a soft cloth. Picked up a few bottles at the auto parts store for a couple of bucks.

Photobrasive has some cleaner that works too but it was expensive.

Tim Bateson
10-26-2010, 4:50 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I'll give the cloth gloves a go.

...For the final cleaning before boxing up, I like to use glass cleaner that sprays as a foam(no ammonia) and a soft cloth. Picked up a few bottles at the auto parts store for a couple of bucks...

Is this after you use a scrubber & water or in place of?

Dave Gates
10-27-2010, 1:27 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I'll give the cloth gloves a go.

Is this after you use a scrubber & water or in place of?

No scrubber. I've been putting low tack transfer tape on my glass/crystal and lasering through that. I wasn't having to wash off dish washing soap or burnt newspaper...just some bits of stuck tape that come off pretty easy with the cleaner.

Bob Heltibridle
10-27-2010, 1:59 PM
Tim
Several years back i worked at an electrical supply warehouse and they made custom crystal chandelier's and the only thing they would use were the cots for fear of dropping parts from cotton gloves.