PDA

View Full Version : Burls, blanks, scraps and money

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 6:35 PM
At the symposium, there were several wood vendors there today. Mad Dog Burls, Choice woods, and others........

The selection of burls and other woods were outstanding........but oh, the money!!!:eek: Some of the burls were hundereds of $$$$, and they had things from all over the world [it seemed to me]

For me to pay that kind of money for a piece of wood, I would have to have a very special project in mind [if then] Gee whiz a guy could go broke with this woodturning thing! I guess that is why they call it a VORTEX, because it just sucks all the money right out of your wallet, your bank account, etc.

I am going back for the morning session tomorrow, and I think I will pick up a blank of Cedar of Lebanan, they had for a reasonable price. [if it is still there:eek:]

Michael James
10-23-2010, 7:26 PM
Yeppers, there's a little something for every budget out there. And apparently the market "will bear" a lot! Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh... This is as bad as scouring the pawn shops in the 70's for gibsons and fenders..A guy could make a living at that... then!:cool:

David E Keller
10-23-2010, 8:36 PM
The only regret I feel after a wood purchase is that I didn't get more... Resistance is futile!:D

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 8:58 PM
The only regret I feel after a wood purchase is that I didn't get more... Resistance is futile!:D

David,

I think for the most part, I am going to collect my own wood, hunt for my own burls, etc. I guess for the next year I will be pretty much confining most of my turnings to domestic woods.

I have a friend who has nearly 270 acres of mostly timber, and he allows me to have whatever I want. He seems to go out of his way to be a blessing to me [great friend!]

He has told me there is a cherry that has 6 burls on it that we can cut maybe next spring. I can live with domestics for now! :D

Steve Vaughan
10-23-2010, 8:59 PM
Never have messed with exotics but to see those prices on them at the local woodcraft store, I just couldn't justify getting any. But, a couple of months ago, the local store had several giant boxes of exotic turning squares they were clearing out, for something around 1 or 2 bucks a pound. And, as luck would have it, there was a 10% off sale in the store on about everything, the wood included. So, I got crazy. I am just certain that at least one of the zillion pieces I bought had to be a really good deal, I dunno. But I did buy heavy, really dark, and some reds and yellows...didn't even have the names on them.

David E Keller
10-23-2010, 9:08 PM
David,

I think for the most part, I am going to collect my own wood, hunt for my own burls, etc. I guess for the next year I will be pretty much confining most of my turnings to domestic woods.

I have a friend who has nearly 270 acres of mostly timber, and he allows me to have whatever I want. He seems to go out of his way to be a blessing to me [great friend!]

He has told me there is a cherry that has 6 burls on it that we can cut maybe next spring. I can live with domestics for now! :D

Where I live, I have to buy domestic wood too.:mad: There just aren't very many trees around here. I wish I had access to some of the gorgeous hardwoods that grow in the US, but the only way I can get most of them is by mail. Looking forward to seeing that cherry burl when you get around to it.

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2010, 9:33 PM
Roger - if the Cherry with all the burls is still living - then I would suggest cutting it in the dead of winter while all the sap is in the roots. If you wait for the sap to run in the spring - I can almost guarantee that you will have problems with the wood checking as soon as it starts drying. Just something to consider.

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 9:39 PM
Roger - if the Cherry with all the burls is still living - then I would suggest cutting it in the dead of winter while all the sap is in the roots. If you wait for the sap to run in the spring - I can almost guarantee that you will have problems with the wood checking as soon as it starts drying. Just something to consider.

Steve,

Thanks for that suggestion. I think you are correct. I would say that January, right after all the deer season is over would be a good time! :)

I need to get him to show me the tree and take a good look at it, so I can make sure of what we are looking at. Last year we were cutting a Black Walnut, and I showed him a burl on another tree that was not going to be cut, and he mentioned that he knew where this cherry tree was that had six of them on it, so we will see........he said whenever I was ready, that he had been wanting to cut that tree anyway.

I am not sure if it is already dying or dead, but it may still be living.

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Roger I would have to agree to cut in January. I very seldom do any tree cutting before January. It sure could be wet and if it is nice burl wouldn't take any chances.