PDA

View Full Version : Last of the Wormy Walnut

David DeCristoforo
10-23-2010, 4:58 PM
I had one more piece from the burl I cut up that had some worm holes in it. I had intended for this to be more of an "open" form but when I started to take the inside down, this little "canyon" appeared and I kind of liked it so I left it there and hollowed it out. Then I needed a lid which gave me a chance to practice a bit more with the detailing tools. This one went pretty smoothly except for when I was fitting the stem to the bottom of the form, I fumbled, dropped it and the little "wing" broke off. Out came the CA (after a short spate of swearing) and it glued back on cleanly so it is unnoticeable. The base is walnut burl, the stem and lid are dark dyed rosewood and the finial is pink ivory with an ebony ball.

165235 165236 165237

Michael James
10-23-2010, 5:10 PM
Very beautiful and delicate! Really nice piece of wood.

Steve Vaughan
10-23-2010, 5:16 PM
Very nice work and great detail there! Question about it, I've looked at some of these kinds of turnings some of you are turning - is the cup part and stem all one piece and turned as we see it, or is the stem turned separate, then glued into a hole in the bottom of a separately turned cup part?

David DeCristoforo
10-23-2010, 5:31 PM
The cup is a separate piece. I leave a very short 3/8" tenon on the bottom of the cup and drill a shallow 3/8" hole in the top of the stem. On my first one I tried to drill the hole after the stem was turned. Big mistake! The bit just twisted to top off the stem. So after that, I started drilling the hole first!

John Keeton
10-23-2010, 5:32 PM
David, that is some beautiful wood - shame it is all gone!! Nice and delicate. I probably would have done something a bit "lighter" in weight for the base of the finial, but it all seems to work pretty well. I like your style, David!

David DeCristoforo
10-23-2010, 5:34 PM
"...shame it is all gone!!"

Oh, well I still have most of the burl. It was a big piece. But no more with worm holes...

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2010, 5:44 PM
Sure is some pretty wood! Very nice detail work on both the finial and pedestal. Really like the crisp edges!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 6:28 PM
David,

You do some nice work. Great work on the fine detail. A unique combination of woods. Really pretty grain on the body. Glad you were able to repair the break.

No one could hardly mistake the form.......it is uniquely DeCristoforo.......quite distinquished for sure.

Josh Bowman
10-23-2010, 7:22 PM
David, that's a very nice piece. Very elegant.

David E Keller
10-23-2010, 8:45 PM
Interesting detailing... Nicely done. You are definitely developing a recognizable style on your finial and stems.

gary Zimmel
10-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Yet another sweet piece David. Nicely done.

Tom Sherman
10-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Add me to the I like it crowd, love the wood and your choice of forms is spot on. Looks like you are becoming a master of the detailing. Great piece.

Curt Fuller
10-24-2010, 12:42 PM
That's as pretty as they get!

David DeCristoforo
10-24-2010, 1:28 PM
"Looks like you are becoming a master of the detailing..."

Thanx, Tom. But no... not yet. Working on it but still a long way to go.