PDA

View Full Version : Met some "Creekers" today

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 4:01 PM
Today and tomorrow the Virginia Wood Turning Symposium is being held. Today I got to meet Charlie Knighton, Nate Hawkes and even though I knew him already, Dale Winburn. All frequent the SMC forum.

All 3 were engaging personalities and have great fondness for wood turning. Found out that Charlie lives only about 30 or so miles from my old home place. Nate is an engaging young man with some good understanding of wood turning and has some great natural edge bowls, including one he showed [photo] of a 16+inch from the famous Montecello Poplar, a tree over 200 years old at Thomas Jefferson's home.......great work!

Dale has turned some great bowls and pepper mills that I have seen. He is a member of our local club, and does a great job.

It looked to me[my guesstimate] that there were 600+ in attendance, maybe more.

Alan Lacer had a great demo on suction and snap fitted lidded boxes, and will do a skew demo tomorrow, and Tom Boley was featured this afternoon with natural edge bark bowls of many varieties........ both good demos.

I almost forgot, I also met Doug Thompson today, and got 3 gouges from him, a 1/4" detail gouge, a 3/8 detail gouge, and a 3/4 U-flute bowl gouge. He was very knowlegable and helpful. Got to try a Lyle Jameson hollowing rig.........really nice! Lyle was very helpful as well, and Johannes Michealson was very engaging with his hats and tools. Some nice folks!

John Keeton
10-23-2010, 5:35 PM
Roger, sounds as though you had a great time, and met some neat people!! And, new tools, to boot! Doesn't get much better. You are going to love those detail gouges.

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2010, 5:49 PM
Wow - bet you had a really good time! Always fun to meet people and even more fun when you get to spend some time with some fellow Creekers!

Enjoy your new gouges! Next time - be sure to take your camera with you!

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2010, 6:14 PM
Sounds like you had a great time Roger. Creeker visits are the best.

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 6:17 PM
Wow - bet you had a really good time! Always fun to meet people and even more fun when you get to spend some time with some fellow Creekers!

Enjoy your new gouges! Next time - be sure to take your camera with you!

Steve,

I have to apologize..........I did not even think about taking a camera. I had no idea I was going to post about the event or did not even consider that I might meet these fellow "Creekers."

I should have though! Maybe I can get some pics of the gouges, and I am going to have to make some handles for them.

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 6:20 PM
Roger, sounds as though you had a great time, and met some neat people!! And, new tools, to boot! Doesn't get much better. You are going to love those detail gouges.

That is what I am hoping John. I also got the u-flute bowl gouge because I already have a 1/2" v-flute Kryogenic, and a 3/8 " v-flute as well, and Doug said the u-flute is better on bowls as you transition from the sides down the bottom.

I figure he knows what of he speaks, and I am still learning!

charlie knighton
10-24-2010, 8:20 PM
Roger,

it was good to meet you from the board, also others too numerous to detail

i took a couple of pictures, i wish i could have had more of Alan/Mary Lacer and Tom Boley, there were other numerous sessions with other tuners

the instant gallery was humbling and inspiring

:eek::D

charlie knighton
10-24-2010, 8:22 PM
ok........... not sure whats going on with pictures, maybe heavy traffic

charlie knighton
10-24-2010, 8:30 PM
one more time

charlie knighton
10-24-2010, 8:33 PM
couple more......

charlie knighton
10-24-2010, 8:36 PM
will you look at more

charlie knighton
10-24-2010, 8:38 PM
well.........

John Keeton
10-24-2010, 8:46 PM
Thanks, Charlie!!! Some really neat pics - and, some good inspiration, too!

Roger Chandler
10-24-2010, 8:59 PM
Charlie,

Thanks for posting the pics! Overall, it was a good symposium, and Alan Lacer had a great demo on the skew today! I met his Wife Mary also...........they are nice folks.

Keep 'em spinnin'! ;)

Doug Thompson
10-26-2010, 10:39 PM
This was a fun two days, very busy but enjoyable. It's good to place a name with a face but at a show there is very little time to talk except during a demo. See you in two years.

Roger Chandler
10-26-2010, 10:55 PM
This was a fun two days, very busy but enjoyable. It's good to place a name with a face but at a show there is very little time to talk except during a demo. See you in two years.

It was great to meet you Doug, and I look forward to using the 3 gouges I purchased from you. Speaking of putting a name to a face.........I am the guy who was probably your first customer on Saturday morning, and I asked you about the length for a handle on that small 1/4" detail gouge on Sunday afternoon.

I came to the symposium with purchasing gouges from you as one of my goals, and I got that taken care of early :D:D:D;)

Alan Lacer was good, and so was Tom Boley with those unusual natural edge bowls he made.

Looking forward to the next one.............:);)

Nathan Hawkes
10-29-2010, 4:03 PM
Roger, I missed this thread somehow. It was great chatting with you at the symposium! I'm so glad that you stopped me. I was sort of in my own little world in awe of all the tools and wood there! I've never seen so much burl wood in one spot! :D I managed to get out of there with just the price of admission. I forgot to mention to you that day that I had some bowls in the display--the first photo that Charlie Knighton posted is four of my natural edge bowls. I really wanted a new gouge, but Doug had sold all the ones I wanted! :D I'll have to order one soon! only an inch and a half of flute left on my "Grumbine" signature gouge. I love that tool! Very nice to talk about life and school--cardiac nursing in particular! Hope I'll end up with a great nursing job to support my turning! My powermatic is less than two years old, and I already want a bigger lathe! I'm hoping to eventually own a Serious Lathe, or VB-36. I have no trouble stopping the 3520B with heavy roughing cuts. For now, its doing what I want it to. Again, great to meet you, Roger. Happy Turning!
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165405&d=1287966504

Roger Chandler
10-29-2010, 6:07 PM
Roger, I missed this thread somehow. It was great chatting with you at the symposium! I'm so glad that you stopped me. I was sort of in my own little world in awe of all the tools and wood there! I've never seen so much burl wood in one spot! :D I managed to get out of there with just the price of admission. I forgot to mention to you that day that I had some bowls in the display--the first photo that Charlie Knighton posted is four of my natural edge bowls. I really wanted a new gouge, but Doug had sold all the ones I wanted! :D I'll have to order one soon! only an inch and a half of flute left on my "Grumbine" signature gouge. I love that tool! Very nice to talk about life and school--cardiac nursing in particular! Hope I'll end up with a great nursing job to support my turning! My powermatic is less than two years old, and I already want a bigger lathe! I'm hoping to eventually own a Serious Lathe, or VB-36. I have no trouble stopping the 3520B with heavy roughing cuts. For now, its doing what I want it to. Again, great to meet you, Roger. Happy Turning!
http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165405&d=1287966504

Nate,

It was really nice meeting and talking with you for awhile. You have some beautiful bowls there! You do really nice work! Keep after Doug on that new gouge, cause he makes some of the best. I got 3, and I can't hardly wait till I get to put them through their paces. I made handles for them today, which I posted on "small tool gloat" thread.

I guess since you want a "Serious" lathe, that you are definitely serious about this craft! Of course, a PM3520b ain't too shabby itself! :D

Maybe we will get to greet again at one of the CVW meetings........I have been to one, and may go again when I can find the time.

Nathan Hawkes
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
I love the PM! I got it when they were still 3K with a bed extension. I think they're going for a good deal more now, without the extension. Doug's gouge's are great! He's a cool guy in person too! I also really enjoyed talking with Johannes Michelsen and seeing some of his amazing woodwork!