PDA

View Full Version : table saws

Carl Ealy
10-23-2010, 1:40 AM
Hello from a newbie,

I have a question about table saws and in particular the bosch 4100-9. I have read a lot of reviews of how wonderful this saw is supposed to be in regards to features but not much (nothing acutually) about how it performs (rip straight and true, what types of projects used for, etc). Has anybody have any experience with this table saw for furniture making or cabinet making or any other table saw for that matter or can portable table saws just be used for rough cutting. I just want to make some simple cabinets/book shelves/end tables out of oak, maple or maybe cherry and some plain furniture (no fancy curves mostly rectangles and squares. Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

Van Huskey
10-23-2010, 3:13 AM
That is probably the best in "breed" of the small portable table saws. One can produce fine furniture with it but it requires a little extra care, thought and probably skill. Its biggest weak spot is probably breaking down sheet goods which may or may not be needed depending on your definition of fine furniture. I would only recommend a small portable table saw IF one needs the small size for portability or storage. There are larger contractor type table saws below or just above the price that are more functional in many respects. I think it would help those giving advice to know why you are looking at this category of saw, is it price or size?

Dan Karachio
10-23-2010, 3:55 AM
Carl, I had this as my first saw and though everything Van says about it is true, it was a mistake to purchase it. I did indeed cut large sheet goods on it and boy was that pushing things in the safety area. I made both cabinet and furniture with it, but when I upgraded there was no going back. For the same money there are so many good contractor saws and a little more puts you in hybrid and/or cabinet saw territory. Used and anything you want can be had wit patience. The mobility factor is enticing, but it simply cannot do what a large saw can. You can always get a mobile base and push around a larger saw. I know we all have different needs, but I would almost get on my knees and beg you to not get this saw. If you were an on site contractor, then it is perfect, but not for a shop.

Cyrus Brewster
10-23-2010, 4:02 AM
I've been thinking about this saw as a dedicated dado machine. I have a unisaw. Does anyone know if it will take a full stacked dado?

Van Huskey
10-23-2010, 4:30 AM
I've been thinking about this saw as a dedicated dado machine. I have a unisaw. Does anyone know if it will take a full stacked dado?

I don't want to sound harsh but think about it, the usual blade discussion centered around low horsepower universal motored job site saws is whether it will handle a full kerf blade or should one stick with a thin kerf blade. The last table saw function (even lower than breaking down sheet goods) I would enlist a job site saw to do would be a dedicated dado setup. This becomes even more of an issue if you are talking about a FULL STACK! For that take the time to set up the Unisaw or find a used cabinet saw to tackle big hogging jobs like full stack dados. If you want a cheap solution to a dedicated groove/dado setup just mount a router in the right wing of the Uni and use the back of the rip fence for grooves and include a miter slot (or two) to cut dados.

Rich Engelhardt
10-23-2010, 10:23 AM
I hate to say this - but - have you looked at Craig's list for a used contractor's saw?
(I'm not a big fan of CL)

For whatever reason - maybe people cleaning out the garage to make room for thei car for the winter? - there's been a ton of halfway decent contractor's saws on CL in the last few weeks.

Nothing against the Bosch (it's a great saw!), but, a portable is made for one reason - to be portable.

I bought a portable thinking I could get by with it.
I'm glad I went with the cheaper Hitachi instead of the Bosch.
The Bosch was actually number one on my list, but, the more I thought about it, the more I didn't want an expensive saw like that sitting on a job site waiting to get stolen.

The other big reason I' glad I didn't invest that much in the portable is that I didn't feel as bad when I replaced it with a contractor's saw.

I still use the portable onsite, but, for 99% of everything, I use the better saw and transport the cut goods to the job site.

Stephen Cherry
10-23-2010, 6:41 PM
I hate to say this - but - have you looked at Craig's list for a used contractor's saw?
(I'm not a big fan of CL)

I am a big fan of craigslist. For about the same money you could almost have a unisaw, which, in my opinion, would have this saw as a side salad before lunch. The bosch looks like a nice saw, but mass matters in terms of rigidity.

Why not invest a few dollars more, and get a saw that will last a lifetime? And cut a dado without throwing a rod. Plus, a well preserved unisaw will retain value.

All just my opinions though.

Lex Boegen
10-23-2010, 7:04 PM
I bought that saw last year because I don't have room for anything larger. I love the folding stand for it. I keep it in my spare bedroom and roll it outside to use it (I don't have a garage or shed, so portability is a necessity). The saw is very good. I upgraded the miter gauge to an Incra 1000SE. I have used the Dado King stack blades on it with no problem. The built-in measuring tape for the rip fence seems accurate, but I always measure everything with the same tape measure anyway (for consistency). It's a bit noisy, but I am very pleased overall with the quality of the saw and its performance. Of course, the table is smaller than most saws, so stock support for large pieces is very important. My biggest gripe is that like all small job-site saws, there's no handwheel for adjusting the blade angle, just a friction lock, so it's a challenge to fine-tune the blade angle. My saw came with both the outfeed extension and side extension.

Bottom line--it's not a cabinet saw, but it's a great little job site saw that can do precise work although you may have to fiddle a little with it.

Neil Brooks
10-23-2010, 8:14 PM
I agree most with Lex, and I, too, have a 4100.

With the Bosch infeed and outfeed extensions, sheet goods are much easier, but ... IMHO ... full sheets are a bit of a pain even with a stock cabinet saw.

If you build a platform around your saw -- Bosch or Uni -- life gets easier. Meanwhile, I cut sheets with my circ saw, and have zero issues.

I bought the digital rip fence, and a Forrest WWII. I've also run the full Forrest Dado King setup with no problems. I also have the 1000SE and like it a lot !

I'm focusing ON furniture.

If interested, you can take a look at what my Bosch and I have done, here (http://picasaweb.google.com/neil0502).

What I always say ? I'd love a cabinet saw, and always watch for a great deal on a PM, a Uni, a Grizzly, or a SawStop, but ... honestly ... I don't _think_ it's out of need. I think I just want one ;)

When I was assembling my shop, I didn't want to buy a project. I've got eye issues, but ... that's MY limitation. For many people, it's time. I didn't want to buy something that I had to go through, thoroughly, and spend time on. I wanted to be functional from the get-go.

That said ... if I were doing it again ... I'd give serious consideration to a cabinet saw -- new OR used. Buy it once. Buy it right.

My personal experience with cabinet saws is pretty limited, so I don't really know -- directly -- what they do that mine won't.

And I would like to find out :)

Good luck !

Carroll Courtney
10-23-2010, 9:26 PM
Well if you were in Tx I would sell you this saw.I have it listed on CL----Carroll
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120499&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1244831763 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120499&d=1244831763)

Lex Boegen
10-24-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't try to cut full sheets on this saw either. I cut them slightly oversize with a 7-1/4 inch circular saw and straight-edge guide, then trim them to final size on the Bosch table saw (if it's within its rip capacity). I'm considering getting Makita's plunge-cut track saw for sheet goods. Like the Festool, you can use it to make your finish cuts--no need to cut oversize.

John A. Callaway
10-24-2010, 11:53 AM
the Rigid version of this saw is just as accurate... Great saw for the money. Get a harbor freight coupon out of a magazine and save 20 percent ( 100 bucks off ) Home depot will honor the coupon .... I got mine for 427 dollars after tax.

I can run a full dado stack , use a crosscut sled, the rip fence works great, I made zero clearance inserts for it... It is a great portable saw if that is what you need or , as in my case, all I have room for.

Carl Ealy
11-10-2010, 1:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice and info. I think I'll research some more and look for a used cabinet saw or something between hybrid and a cabinet saw. Heck, even if I have to pay double what a Bosch costs, I probably can beat the 10-15 thousand dollars it costs for custom cabinets!