PDA

View Full Version : Nice Grab Bag of Carbon Fiber cutoffs

Billy Tallant
10-23-2010, 12:48 AM
I have an order for some aluminum/antler pens. Went down to Gander Mtn this evening to pickup a couple of aluminum arrows. While talking to the salesman, he asked if I could use some cutoffs of carbon fiber arrows. Ended up buying 2 aluminum arrows & came home with a grab bag full of cutoffs. Will probably be able to make 30-35 pens out of the cutoffs alone. Going to have to make that salesman a camo pen for his help.

John Keeton
10-23-2010, 7:55 AM
Billy, I am sure you know this, but the dust from cutting that carbon is wicked stuff!! We owned a hunting store for 13 years, and sold thousands of carbon arrows. We had a vacuum system built to exhaust the fiber dust. Just be careful! On the other hand, it should make some neat pens!

You can also buy just the shafts for the various aluminum arrows in some very interesting designs and in multiple sizes - may make some neat pens, too. I don't do pens, so I am not sure what is required.

Billy Tallant
10-23-2010, 1:45 PM
Thanks John, for the info on carbon fiber dust.

Pens are the main thing that I turn. I've started turning a few wine stoppers. Haven't started trying to turn anything else yet. I bought a Jet 1442 during the summer to turn bowls on but haven't found time to start practicing on any bowls yet.