PDA

View Full Version : My New Jet 1642-2EVS-2

James Combs
10-23-2010, 12:22 AM
has arrived.

Back in mid August I ordered a new Griz G0698 but as most everyone is aware they are on a long back order so being the impatient type a guy I am, a couple of weeks ago I canceled the order and asked Toolnut to quote me a 2 HP Jet 1642. Sean gave me a reasonable quote so 10/11/2010 I place an order for it. The following Tuesday (this past Tuesday) I had it in my shop. Here are some photos for verification and to give you a snap shot of the installation.

I made it home from the receiving dock this time without it sprouting any wings. (Some of you will get that:rolleyes:)

After removing the packaging I got most of it into the shop with my 2-wheeler.

I only had to get help on the bed. Got a great neighbor.;)

I could lift one end at a time so I hung it from the ceiling to install the legs.
It was still everything this old man could lift.:eek:

Now you would think that a fellow that just ordered himself a new and "large" lathe would have prepared a place for it.:rolleyes::o Had to stop the installation and make some room.

After cleaning up the area and moving some "furniture" I slid it into place and leveled it and made sure the bed was flat.

The fit was pretty good as long as the head is not slid too far to the head end. That's my table saw run-out table on the right. It is nice to be able to slide it out of the "walkway" when not in use.:cool:

Another view of how it fit together with my smaller Griz.

David E Keller
10-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Congrats on the new lathe... It looks like a beauty. I'm happy to hear that you didn't launch it out of the back of the truck... :D

James Combs
10-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Here she is powered up. Had to run a 220V line for her. Just paralleled her to my Table Saw (aka "The Flying Grizzley:rolleyes:). I can't run both at the same time.:cool:

Installed my new Mini Monster to make sure it would fit Ok.:D

165176 165177
Here I have added some chip control. Will be mirroring this set up behind me on the smaller lathe also. That white screen is just a long window shade.

165178 165179
Another problem is that now I can't put longer pieces on my miter-saw. They went under neath the smaller lathe.

I'll just build a platform for the miter-saw stand and raise it up enough to allow boards to go over top of the jet. The height of a 2x4 is all that I need as indicated by the scrap piece.

And finally in order to get my moved furniture back into a usable position I had to shorten my clamp rack as indicated by the red bar. The "furniture" is a small downdraft sanding station which made dandy catch-all bench when it was next to the small Lathe.:rolleyes: (that's about the only use it has ever gotten ;))

You can just see them at the left hand edge of the last photo the location of my lathe tooling. I am going to have to do some reaching when using the small lathe.:o

Jon Lanier
10-23-2010, 1:24 AM
Congratulations!!!! I'm happy for you! :D

Andrew Kertesz
10-23-2010, 6:12 AM
If you could run and operate the saw and the lathe at the same time I'd have to say you were a heck of a man...:D

John Keeton
10-23-2010, 7:34 AM
JD, a big congrats!! Twice!! You will love the Monster rig, too. And, great shop tour there - you have a very nice setup, and one would not have to do much guessing to realize the engineering background. Great organization!

Are you keeping the Griz for pens?

James Combs
10-23-2010, 7:39 AM
Are you keeping the Griz for pens?

Yes, I'm a hoarder by nature (not to the extent of the TV show but...:D), that is the reason for making the extra room by moving the "furniture". As a mater of fact the Griz is loaded with a pen blank in the photos.

Bill Bulloch
10-23-2010, 8:19 AM
Must be nice ... I am still holding out for the Grizzly, maybe November will hold up. If not then I'll probably get the Jet too. I hear that they go on sell next month. One thing that I noticed about your nice, clean, organized shop is that if you add any more tools you'll need to make it bigger.

philip labre
10-23-2010, 9:09 AM
Congrats on the new lathe. I got tired of waiting and went with something else too.

David Gilbert
10-23-2010, 9:19 AM
Jim,

I like your shop. I have a 1642 as well and really like it. I like your panel with the shade chip controller. I'm using shower curtains which work OK.

When I'm making bowls I often take the tailstock off. With your lathe right next to the wall you'll have a hard time taking it off. You may want to make some room so you can remove it.

Cheers,
David

Robert McGowen
10-23-2010, 9:25 AM
Congrats, James. I never want to see the floor that clean again!

Bill Bolen
10-23-2010, 9:37 AM
Congrats on the new lathe James. She looks happy in her new home too! Also a nice gloat on the new monster system! Been saving my pennies for one myself. Great shop looks roomy and well lighted.Bill...

Thom Sturgill
10-23-2010, 9:58 AM
Nice. I have the 1 1/2hp 120v model and it was a great step up, but after turning on a mustard for a weekend I have lathe envy again!!!
You might want to turn the headstock around and slide it to the middle when turning bowls or hollow forms.

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Congrats on your new lathe! Hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as I do mine!

Michael James
10-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Nice one JD! All I can say is lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy, lathe envy.
Oh, did I mention I have LATHE ENVY??????

Nice shop too. Your should be able to make every dang thing now. Have fun and keep up posted with pics!
mj

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Congrats James on a fine lathe. Now have some fun.

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 4:13 PM
Really great JD! Congratulations on your new toy(s)!

Roger Chandler
10-23-2010, 4:15 PM
Must be nice ... I am still holding out for the Grizzly, maybe November will hold up. If not then I'll probably get the Jet too. I hear that they go on sell next month. One thing that I noticed about your nice, clean, organized shop is that if you add any more tools you'll need to make it bigger.

Bill,

There were several of the Jet 16/42's in use today at our symposium. They are great lathes, but just so you know, I think you will be glad you held out on getting the Grizzly G0698! IMHO the features and performance rival the PM3520b!

Ted Evans
10-23-2010, 6:09 PM
Congratulations James, both on the new lathe and not damaging any trees on the way home.:) Thanks a bunch for all the pictures of your shop and tools, it is very educational for me and some good ideas can be born when looking at how others have used their resources, I wish more would do that. :) Ted

Mike Peace
10-23-2010, 6:51 PM
I think you may want to turn your lathe around and have the motor end toward the wall. You need enough clearance for the knock out bar. It is nice to slide the headstock down and turn from the end of the lathe when doing big bowls or HFs.

Josh Bowman
10-23-2010, 7:17 PM
JD, your going to love it. Now make it dirty!