PDA

View Full Version : S.O.S. cleaning ink stained marble

Zsolt Paul
10-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience removing color-fill ink stains from marble? The marble is beige and the printer's ink that was used to color fill was black. Despite of sealing the marble 3 times and testing the my process on a scrap piece (which turned out fine) the large slab of the actual work left stained areas that I can not get clean. 90% good, but 10% is unacceptable, where some of the black ink penetrated and I can not get it clean. It is a honed finish (not highly polished). I had tried paint thinner (the ink was mineral spirits based), lacquer thinner and acetone. None of the them did the trick.

I am contemplating using some some muriatic acid which would clean it but also eat throgh the polish. As I said, its honed so its not a high gloss, more like a satin look. Unless someone can offer a better solution and I end up using the acid, what would be the best way to get the low shine back? Random orbit with 600 or higher perhaps? Thanks!

Mike Null
10-23-2010, 6:39 AM
Just a stab in the dark but try some pure orange cleaner.

A garage may have some of the real stuff they would sell. (will destroy certain plastics):(

You can also buy it online.

Bob Turkovich
10-23-2010, 8:30 AM
Another stab in the dark, but did you try hair spray?

I found that worked great on clothes for pen ink. Even works on permanent fountain pen ink (not sure if the ink composition is near the same as printer ink, tho...)

First time I tried it on a shirt, the LMOL saw the results and said, "That's the last time I put that stuff on my hair!" :D

Zsolt Paul
10-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Another stab in the dark, but did you try hair spray?" :D

LOL No, "somehow" I failed to think of the "obvious" hairspray solution! How could I?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will give them a try.

Ron Fairbanks
10-23-2010, 12:26 PM
If that doesn't work get a marble poultice from a stone counter top installer. Although after using different chemicals you might end up with a sticky mess to clean up with Goof Off.

Zsolt Paul
10-23-2010, 1:18 PM
Thanks for everyone's input! I couldn't find any hairspray (go figure... 3 daughters and a wife and no hairspray...), HOWEVER, the orange cleaner works great! Excellent suggestion Mike! It removes the stains, cleans up nice, but it leaves the finish dull. I guess the abrasives in it is not as fine as needed for polishing. So now, I just have to find a solution for getting the sheen back. As I said, its a honed look so not a super high gloss. I will try 600 grit sandpaper with random orbit and perhaps higher. Any better "quick fixes"? I am all too familiar with the slow fixes! LOL

Tom Bull
10-23-2010, 4:31 PM
600 grit will be pretty rough finish, highly finished stone uses 3000 grit. Muriatic acid would disolve marble in a flash.

Bob Turkovich
10-23-2010, 4:43 PM
[QUOTE=Zsolt Paul;1541442]LOL No, "somehow" I failed to think of the "obvious" hairspray solution! How could I?

Google.com - Search "ink removal" - 2nd entry on page 1 :p (How do you think I found it the first time...)

How silly of me....of course, when I want to know how to removal ink from marble I always go to a woodworkers forum first! ;)

Just kidding! Glad the orange cleaner worked.

Zsolt Paul
10-23-2010, 5:00 PM
600 grit will be pretty rough finish, highly finished stone uses 3000 grit.

I did sand it with 600 grit, then followed it up to 30 micron which produced a nice honed sheen. As I said, its not a highly polished look, its a "honed" finish. That's probably why I ran into some trouble with the ink absorbing more in teh first place. Although I did test a scrap piece which did not stain, but likely the extended time to do 9 sf vs. a small sample didn't help...

[QUOTE=Google.com - Search "ink removal" - 2nd entry on page 1 :p (How do you think I found it the first time...)

How silly of me....of course, when I want to know how to removal ink from marble I always go to a woodworkers forum first! ;)

Just kidding! Glad the orange cleaner worked.[/QUOTE]

I know Bob, it was a great suggestion, dont get me wrong, I just found it funny b/c I would have never thought of hair spray. I was joking around, but I certainly appreciated the input!

Pete Bejmuk
10-23-2010, 5:13 PM
Thanks for everyone's input! I couldn't find any hairspray (go figure... 3 daughters and a wife and no hairspray...),

one of the few disadvantages of not living in the 1980s, I guess :D

Dee Gallo
10-23-2010, 6:38 PM
Isn't the solvent in hairspray just lacquer thinner? Great for your hair, I imagine...

~ dee