PDA

View Full Version : Good magazine

Dahl Troy Perry
10-22-2010, 7:13 PM
I know there is several magazines on turning but the book stores around here don't carry them to look at to see witch ones are good or not. So whitch ones do you like that has patterns and tips?

John Keeton
10-22-2010, 7:18 PM
Dahl, I subscribe to Woodturning Design, which is a pretty good publication. I was doing the paper version of the AAW magazine - American Woodturner. However, on my membership renewal, I went with the online membership. Seems much of the AAW magazine is of little interest to me. Good content, and well done, but a little esoteric for my tastes sometimes.

I have not seen any other turning magazines locally, though they must be out there?!?!

Terry Murphy
10-22-2010, 7:19 PM
Wood Turning
http://woodworkersinstitute.com/page.asp?p=4

I subscribe. A great Magazine.

Terry

Jack Gaskins
10-22-2010, 7:26 PM
I am fairly new to turning but I have a copy or two of all the turning magazines there are and I would say my favorite is the british magazine called Woodturning Magazine. It is full of great projects and tips. The AAW and Woodturner Design mags are beyond my skill level/taste in most articles I have seen. To me they offer more of the artsy/fartsy stuff, which is great if you are at that level of woodturning. The only drawback to the Woodturning Magazine is it is published in England. You can find it in the bigger cities but it cost more to purchase and a subsription is expensive. The next best thing is my library sytem here in Indianapolis, they have tons of woodturning books and I have checked them ALL out.:D.

Dahl Troy Perry
10-22-2010, 8:28 PM
Thanks for the info will look for those mags. Just got home from Indy went to the wood stores pointing out things to wife that I want for Christmas.She said it would be easyer to point out things that I don't want DA! The libary here in Kokomo will have to look at never thought about looking there thanks.

Greg Just
10-22-2010, 9:00 PM
I subscribe to Woodturning Design and think it is very good. I have purchased Woodturning Magazine at Barnes and Noble and it is good too, but rather pricy. Popular Woodworking used to have a monthly article on turning, but no longer so I will let that subscription expire.

Thomas Canfield
10-22-2010, 9:12 PM
"Woodturning", www.woodworkersinstitute.com or www.thegmcgroup.com , is published in England and has some excellent articles. It is a little pricey, but I started a subscription back in the spring to get the cover story article on Kelly Dunn who I visited on the Big Island of Hawaii in late January. I saw a copy of the magazine there, but it was not in the bookstores yet. This month the cover is Betty Scarpino who I saw demonstrate at SWAT last year or the year before. Nearly all the advertisers are English and prices are usually given in pounds, but the turnings are good and there is usually a project outlined to help some (and some of us are beyond hope) build your skill level.

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I take woodturning and woodturning design. The AAW mag is just to much art, carving and just not enough turning to suit my taste. Woodturning design is headed that way but so far still has quite a bit of turning.

Bill Blasic
10-23-2010, 7:24 AM
Obviously it is true that you cannot make everybody happy all the time. A magazine that had 12 articles about turning bowls four or six times a year would soon not be a viable magazine. If I just had to turn bowls or traditional items woodturning would soon be quite boring. What if you just had no choice but to turn Oak, I think you would become quite bored. As they say variety is the spice of life! A few weeks ago we had Al Stirt in for a demo and two days of hands on in my shop. Al decorates his stuff by carving on them and believe it or not it was a lot of fun and a way to dress up any boring wood you have around. Following Al I did a hands on with Michael Kehs on the following Monday and he also carves on his pieces but in a different fashion. I thought that I was in over my head but after about 20 minutes I got into it and that was great fun also - VARIETY!

Although there is somethings in every magazine that I have no interest in that does not mean that I won't have an interest in it later as I found out with this carving. I have no interest in cutting little pieces of wood and gluing them together and then turning them but that doesn't mean that I won't sometime in the future. I can remember when Arts Farsty was a word I used to disdain a type of turning I had no interest for. A lot of you, myself included, will gradually move in different directions in your turning abilities and thoughts and a magazine that offers all sorts of different design opportunities is what you will be looking for.
Just my thoughts,
Bill

Norm Zax
10-23-2010, 11:05 AM
There are also a few online mags such as More WoodTurning which I read, as well as the British one mentioned above, by GMC.