PDA

View Full Version : Help! Really need experienced opinions on this bandsaw

Jaze Derr
10-22-2010, 6:39 PM
So, found this ad today:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/2010753981.html

Older 14" Jet bandsaw, with riser!

I've been lusting after a bandsaw for almost a year now, but didn't have the money for a new one, and didn't want to even waste my time with a small one that I would hate in a week or two (I'm a woman who knows what I want! :p)

Have an appointment to go look at this tomorrow morning. In order to not seem like a TOTAL and COMPLETE nitwit, what should I be looking for? What specifically should I check?

I think it comes with a 1 hp motor, which will be plenty for what I want to do.

Is this a decent deal?:confused:

As a side note, I looked on Jet's website for the manual. They didn't have this old one on it, so I emailed customer service. Got a response in less than two hours, with a complete, scanned copy of an old manual! Awesome customer service there. Not the best quality, but perfectly readable.

So, help me out here. This will be the largest machine I've ever purchased.

Lance Norris
10-22-2010, 7:22 PM
Heres my 2 cents... Decent deal...? Probably. The older blue Jet equipment was marginally inferior to todays white machines, and the bandsaws seem to be even more so. That being said, I have a blue Jet jointer and its a great machine. With the riser already attached, its a good deal if all is well. Things to look for are, obvious damage, cracked castings, rust, missing parts. Run it and see how the motor sounds, it should be quiet and smooth, and it should comes up to speed quickly. Stick your nose to the motor and smell it? Smell burnt? Does the whole machine shake? It should be almost smooth, with a little vibration acceptable. Cut some wood and see if it has plenty of power, assuming the blade on it isnt junk. Grab the table and wiggle it like a steering wheel and see if its tight. It will give ever so slightly, this is ok, but not lots of movement. Wiggle the whole machine. Is the stand tight? You can beef up the stand later, so thats usually not an issue. Look to see if the wheels have had lots of drill bit marks, or even holes drilled through them to balance them. Some drilling is ok, holes all the way through is not ok.

Chances are in your favor all will be well, and you have a good deal on your hands. Get some new blades, buy a bandsaw book that tells you how to setup and use your new machine and have some fun. I love my bandsaws, they are very versatile machines.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Stephen Cherry
10-22-2010, 7:47 PM
In order to not seem like a TOTAL and COMPLETE nitwit, what should I be looking for? What specifically should I check?

If you don't know much about bandsaws, I would just tell the owner that you don't know much about bandsaws, and ask him to show you the saw. (stop at home depot and pick up a 4x4 to slice up).

I've bought a whole shop of used equipment, and just about everyone I bought from was very patient in showing me the machines. It seems like if this saw works OK, the price is fine, so you don't need to negotiate, unless you really want to.

Just remember, you are holding the dinero, so you call the shots.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-22-2010, 7:51 PM
Seem like it's in good looking shape. Nice and clean.
Probaly back then roller bearing guides were not stock, so if it has it, that's a good upgrade. Ceramic guides are nice too. Look for a fence, miter gauge, throat plate etc. All those "small" things add up quick if they are missing. Spin the wheels by hand to see if there is any strange noises. Be aware that there are guides under the table too, so check for them there.

John Toigo
10-22-2010, 9:10 PM
Deal. Go get it.

Van Huskey
10-22-2010, 11:37 PM
If it runs and cuts smoothly it is a deal. It probably did not come with a miter gauge or a fence, depending on what you plan to do you may or may not need them, but if you do THEN you need to factor that cost in. Keep in mind a new Grizzly G0555P delivered with a riser will be just a hair under $600 and has a miter guage and fence, you can absolutely come under that by a long shot with this saw adding a fence and miter gauge but just food for thought when comparing this to new.

Jaze Derr
10-23-2010, 4:09 PM
Well, I bought it. It ran very smoothly. It's got brand new cool blocks guides on both the top and bottom, the riser is new, and he bought a new insert for the table. Only a 3/4 hp motor, which will be more than enough for my needs for a while. I don't resaw any hardwoods (I don't work with hardwoods at all!), so I should be fine.

It's sitting in my garage right now until I can get help to get it down into the basement. Sucker is HEAVY!

I've got The Bandsaw Book being sent to my local library for me. Any other good reading recommendations for a bandsaw newbie? I'd like to keep my fingers attached.

Will Overton
10-23-2010, 4:17 PM
Congratulations on getting the bandsaw. The book you are about to read is a very good choice.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-23-2010, 5:16 PM
Jaze,

Get this book: http://www.amazon.com/New-Complete-Guide-Band-Saw/dp/1565233182/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1287868439&sr=1-1

It's an excellent reference that I have bought twice. I loaned my first copy out and it understandably didn't come home. So I bought another copy. $13.57 plus shipping.

I think you got a good buy with your b/s.

Jaze Derr
10-23-2010, 5:26 PM
Thanks, Ken. I've requested that book and couple others by the same author from the library. I like to make sure a book is worth buying first! :)

Now, all I need are a drill press and a jointer/planer combo, and I'll be in workshop heaven!

Lance Norris
10-23-2010, 5:52 PM
Any other good reading recommendations for a bandsaw newbie?

I like this one, not techniques, but cool box projects. Hard to find book, but Ebay, or Amazon has it used...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51q%2Bqm1yvgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0806962461/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books)http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0806962461/ref=oss_product