PDA

View Full Version : Is there a finish for tables that resists water rings?

Aaron Wingert
10-22-2010, 5:07 PM
I'm about to start building an end table from African mahogany. My wife and I will use this table to set drinks on, so the possibility of condensation from the glasses getting on the table and sitting there for a while is very real.

I'm no finishing expert. No spray gun either. I'd like to use Waterlox on this table because I've had great luck with it on other projects, but don't know how it'll perform when my wife inevitably leaves wet glasses on it overnight.

Another thought (albeit crude) was spar urethane. Any better? Worse? I've heard that catalyzed laquer is pretty tough for this sort of thing but again I don't have a spray rig.

Not necessarily after the high gloss look, but given the need for water repellancy I'm thinking that's my only option. :confused:

My last course of action is to put glass over the wood, but the idea of doing that makes the woodworker in me sick.

Scott Holmes
10-22-2010, 8:54 PM
Watelox original is the way to go. Spar would be a terrible choice. Exterior finishes are LESS water and water vapor resistant.

Watyerlox is easy to apply by brush, it has a long wet time (before it's dry to the touch) but the finish is very hard and durable.

Steve Schoene
10-22-2010, 9:00 PM
As Scott said, Waterlox would be an excellent choice. Just be sure to use enough coats to build a protective film. Waterlox would be MORE water resistance than spar varnish. Waterlox comes in three "flavors" there is the wipe on version Original and Sealer that is a semi-gloss sheen, the Gloss, is more the consistency of a brush on varnish, though you could thin to wipe-on consistency. There is also Satin, which is best brushed on. All will resist water rings nicely.

Aaron Wingert
10-22-2010, 9:03 PM
Thanks guys. Waterlox it is. I use it on many of my turkey calls and it is a great finish....Just wasn't sure how it would do in this application!