PDA

View Full Version : Stain or dye?

Kevin Arceneaux
12-23-2004, 11:40 PM
I am trying to get a really rich, dark color on wood. I cannot seem to achieve this using stain. Is there a trick to this or should I give up on stain and move on to dye?

Thanks, The Finishing Department :) (i.e. SWMBO)

Keith Christopher
12-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Kevin,

What type of wood and what type of stain ? Certain dies will only accuentate the grain and not so much darken the wood.

Keith

Joel Selman
12-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Dyes excel at evening out the colors and can be worked without losing grain definition.
Gustaf Stickley used dye so as to match lighter and darker woods. In cherry, you can get sapwood to match heartwood using dye.
One drawback to dye is it is less fade resistant than stain.

Kevin Arceneaux
12-24-2004, 12:28 AM
Keith, we usually use maple. We have been trying Minwax products. But, there is a place here in town that handles a better grade of stains, and I think dyes.

Joel Selman
12-24-2004, 12:39 AM
Behlen dyes have worked very well for me. This is American Walnut on White Oak.

http://www.eitzfurniture.com/images/massive02.jpg

Jim Tobias
12-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Kevin,
Try either aniline dyes or Transtint (Homestead Products). You can get nearly any tone or color you want with the aniline dyes and the transtint are supposed to be more colorfast. They (dyes) are also very easy to use and get even color. The variety is endless (you can make that maple purple if you want)I used to use stains, but after using some iof the dyes now available, I hardly ever use stains anymore.

Jim

Keith Christopher
12-24-2004, 1:17 AM
Kevin,
Try either aniline dyes or Transtint (Homestead Products). You can get nearly any tone or color you want with the aniline dyes and the transtint are supposed to be more colorfast. They (dyes) are also very easy to use and get even color. The variety is endless (you can make that maple purple if you want)I used to use stains, but after using some iof the dyes now available, I hardly ever use stains anymore.

Jim
Kevin,

I agree with Jim. If you used dyes you need to determine if you want alcohol base or water base. you also need to be careful if using alcohol base that you don't over lap your strokes too much as you can get a darker line where you do as the alcohol will dry quickly. Dyes can work to darken wood you just need to make sure you're using the right one. The homestead finishing site is a good place and the transtint dyes are awesome. stop by and check them out. I think the URL is self evident.

Keith

I am in no way affiliated with any products or WWW sites mentioned in my statement. (ala DaveA. :) )