PDA

View Full Version : How do I get started with this?

Dustin Keys
10-22-2010, 4:17 PM
I’ve been reading through the forums here for a week or so now. I joined just the other night to be able to view some of the pictures. I was completely blown away by Dan O’Sullivan’s walnut desk/bookcase in the project forum. That’s what led me to post this.

I have very little woodworking experience. Basically all I’ve done are some projects growing up around the house with my dad such as rebuilding the deck and similar repair and building work. Through that, I’ve learned to use most of the basic power tools (table saw, band saw, router table, drill press), but not very well unfortunately as these projects didn’t require much precision. I’m also a guitarist that has been doing his own setup, repair, and modification work for several years now. Through that, I’ve learned a bit about finishing, making my own tools for special tasks (mainly because I couldn’t afford the pre-modified specialty tools), and patience when working with these sorts of things. That’s all the experience I have. I began woodcarving a few weeks ago (relief carving), as I enjoy it and I hope to eventually use those skills for other things. My wife and I purchased our first house early this year, so I now have a garage to use for shop space (previously lived in an apartment, so I couldn’t do any big projects). In the process of furnishing the house, I’ve discovered that I love great wood furniture. I’m particularly fond of large, ornate, antique pieces, and I now want to begin down the path towards building pieces like that. As an ultimate goal, I would like to build things like Dan’s walnut bookcase/desk.

I realize that being able to build furniture like Dan’s is probably years away for me, but I need some good advice on where to start. While I know many people today start with a lot of machines and power tools, I don’t have the funds to completely rig a shop with quality machines and power tools right away (nor do I want to purchase cheap tools that won’t effectively do the job). As I understand it from the research I’ve been doing over the last few weeks, one of the things necessary to create the kind of furniture that I love is a firm grasp of hand tools and how to use them. It seems to me that hand tools may be a good place to start given my lack of experience and funds.

There are no woodworking classes close-by for me to take, so my learning will be largely through books and the internet for now. Most of the beginner advice I’ve found is left very open-ended with statements like “it depends on the kind of projects you want to build.” While I know that’s true, I really need some advice tailored to my goal: Ultimately, I want to build great wood furniture. Here are the tools I currently have:

Circular Saw
Jigsaw
Palm Sander with dust collection bag
Dremel tool (3000 series)
Screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, etc.
Straightedge
Abrasives
Clamps
Bench Vise
Finishing supplies (dyes, stains, lacquer, shellac, respirator, etc)

Obviously, that list is shallow and missing a lot of important tools. I have little to no experience with joinery, using planes, using chisels, handsaws, etc.

So where do I start if I want to be successful? If you were me with the tools that I currently have, what tools would you initially purchase/build/rehabilitate? As my budget is limited, I can’t go out and buy all the tools I want right now, and I’m uncertain as to which ones to start with.

What about initial skill-building, where do I start? What kinds of things should I be practicing first, and how do I best practice them?

This is what I would like to do for my first real project, but I feel like I need to work a lot on fundamentals before I tackle something like this:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/7670/free-plan-humidor (http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/7670/free-plan-humidor)

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Dustin

Jerome Hanby
10-22-2010, 5:17 PM
If you have room, maybe your first project ought to be a good workbench. Not only will it make the rest of your woodworking easier (or maybe even possible), a workbench is a good tuneup for your woodworking skills. Lots of different elements but if you really do something ugly, it's in your shop, so who cares. The project will also drive your tool desires. A table saw (or maybe a hefty bandsaw), jointer, and a lunch box planer will start looking really good really fast.

Also Craiglist is your friend. You can get some good deals on equipment. Finding those killer deals on unisaws and huge jointers takes a lot of hunting, but you can get a decent contractor table saw or 6 inch jointer for a few hundred bucks. Also, look at Shopsmiths. I'm not a fan of the Shopsmith in table saw mode, in fact I've never used mine in that mode, but it can take the place of a whole room full of tools until you can afford to buy dedicated machines. It's also a great platform to drive equipment you build yourself. One of Nick Engler's books details how to build a small drum sander and run it off the Shopsmith. After you've filled your shop with all dedicated machinery, you can cut down the rails on the Shopsmith and make the world's best dedicated sanding station out of it. Sander, lathe, drill press, horizontal boring machine (when would you ever be willing to spring for a dedicated horizontal boring machine) and you can get one with all the original goodies for around $300. many of them will also have the Shopsmith jointer and/or bandsaw. The jointer is a 4 inch model, but better than nothing. The bandsaw is great! You wont be doing massive resaws with it, but I've cut square strips out of a purple heart bowl blank. I've seen units with both of those add on pieces for less than $700.

Dustin Keys
10-22-2010, 5:43 PM
The bench is definately first on the list, although I wasn't really considering that much of a project as it will almost certainly be rather crude and ugly. I'm working on the layout of the garage right now, so I will be building the bench as soon as I'm happy with the layout. Right now, I have an old desk that has been functioning as my bench. It's doing a great job, so I'm not in a rush to build a permanent bench until I've really thought the layout all the way through.

I've been keeping an eye on C-list, but nothing has really popped yet. The main issue there is I don't want to just start buying tools. I need some guidance on what to buy. A table or band saw would eat up all of my budget right now, so I don't want to run out and buy one if there are other things I should buy first.

Dustin

Jerome Hanby
10-22-2010, 6:20 PM
I saw where some noted woodworking author said that if he was stranded on a desert island and could have only one power tool, he would pick a bandsaw.

If I had $200 to spend, I think a $200 table saw would be better than $200 bandsaw.

If your current circular saw is doing a good job and the saw's base is suitable, you could spend about $125 on a PSI Portable Panel Saw. (http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-PPS-2-Portable-Not-included/dp/B0007W5STE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1287785528&sr=8-1)

Then you could build a cutting table something like this one (http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/panel_cutting_table.htm). I used a $30 pair of banquet table legs on mine so I could fold it up and put it against the wall when I didn't need it.

Those two things (especially if you add a little hardboard to the Portable panel saw) will make your cutting much easier and more accurate. Think of it as the poor man's tracksaw and mft.

If you get the Portable panel saw, you may want to look for a deal on another circular saw. I never verified it, but my gut feeling is that it might be hard to get the circular saw mounted the exact same way in the carriage and I had memorized the offsets from the rail to the cutting line (one if rail was on the waste piece, another if the rail was on the keeper) and didn't want to burn those measurements. Once I put my Hitachi in the carriage, I've never removed it. I found a cheapy Craftsman on CL in case I needed an unencumbered circular saw. The guys at the hardwood seller have a Makita that they break down material if it's too long for your truck and I've seen that little thing buzz through 8/4 hard maple with no problems. Think I'm going to score one of those models in the future.

I've got both of those (with my <$100 Hitachi circular saw) and used them for just about every project until I caught a Festool tracksaw on CL (I still use the table).

Larry Rasmussen
10-22-2010, 7:08 PM
Hi welcome Dustin,

Pick a project and do it. A box would not be a bad place to start. Think about what you need to be able to do. If you buy milled wood in 3/4" thickness then you will only have to rip to width and cross cut to length. Most people I think do start here and don't have a jointer or planer right away to straighten and surface the wood to correct thickness.

For both ripping wood to width and crosscutting I will recommend a table saw. You will always find many here that are proficient with a band saw and argue for getting that first but in general more people will likely agree on a table saw being much easier to use accurately. The next suggestion that may come up will be to just use a guide for your circular saw to do all your cutting. I have had a Festool brand circular saw and a set of guides up to 8 feet for it for 3-4 years now and it is wonderful. It has really helped with accuracy and convenience for plywood. I still find the table saw the most accurate and easiest to use to size your hardwood. You can make various sliding tables for the top of the table saw that are projects in them selves but assure accurate cross cuts and 45 degree miter cuts. You can ad a dado blade to create grooves for joinery and door slides.

Anyway once you decide on your method to size wood and get your tool the next step could be in a variety of directions. You might choose a band saw if your projects demand curve cutting that exceed the performance of your jig saw. Many folks go to a planer for better control of wood thickness and more flexibility in what types of wood you can use since you'll be able to use rough cut. The jointer or an alternate way to straighten out initial twisting or curves is a typical early purchase. A router is often the next larger purchase after a table saw since it opens the doors to shaping and forming decorative edges and joints.

Anyhow you get it by now- I recommend a table saw as the tool that will provide the way to get through the most basic tasks of woodcraft the most accurately. Think about a cabinet of some kind next or maybe a bookshelf. The design will dictate the next tool or group of tools needed to complete it, you'll have more ideas than time or money for purchases by the time you're into it by two projects.

Good luck,
Larry R
Seattle

Tom Rick
10-22-2010, 7:46 PM
I started in woodworking with things made by hand.
I think everyone starting out is well served by taking to hand a piece of wood and shaping it into projects with the simplest of tools. Tools most likely already in your shop.
So- a vice, a good back saw, a small block plane, perhaps some carving tools a few chisels and a drill.

Though my table saw is a required tool in my shop now, it I were starting out I would purchase the band saw first.

Ted Wong
10-22-2010, 8:36 PM
Pick up a few early issues of Woodsmith. Loaded wiht projects geared for the beginner.

Gene Waara
10-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Welcome Dustin! Start reading! The internet and forums are an unbelievable source of information. As for tools, you will get all kinds of advice but purchase tools as your budget and needs allow. Your projects will dictate your needs. Don't forget to hit family for bd and Xmas. Craigs list will be your best friend. Decide on your needs and check CL daily. Last week I missed out on someone selling 53 issues of Wood Magazine for $10. It made me sick but imagine the value for someone just beginning? Finally, use the wealth of knowledge and resources on this forum. The guys (and gals) here are great and love to help others. Good Luck!

Christopher Morgan
10-22-2010, 10:28 PM
For your bench, you might check out this one.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/18985/still-dont-have-a-workbench-this-one-is-easy

It is designed to be built with a minimum of tools. And I have been happy with the finished product.