PDA

View Full Version : New design project: Hall table

Zahid Naqvi
12-23-2004, 11:32 PM
After seeing the great debate and contributions for the bed design thread posted by Mark Singer I was encouraged to follow the same route to elicit ideas for a new project I will be starting in early January. I have enrolled in a woodworking class which allows the student to pursue an individual project under the guidance of an experienced instructor. If any of the Arkies are interested in finding out about the class please PM me and I can give you the exact details.
My wife has been asking me to make some kind of a hall table to go in our entrance way. Below are pictures of our formal sitting room and some other tables in the area. As you can see the existing tables are very elaborately designed and there is no way I am going to be able to duplicate the scroll saw work. Also the tables are octagonal, while the hall table needs to be something which can rest flush against a wall. I have made a hand sketch which I am trying to draw in Visio, as soon I get it done I will post it here. For starters here are pictures of the location and some other tables in the same area.

1. Picture of the formal sitting room. With the entry way on the left behind me as I am taking this picture, in the same line as the window seen in the corner. The wall hanging is an Afghan hand made kilm (fringe benefits of the 1.5 million Afghan refugees living in Pakistan).
2. One of two end tables we have in this area. The table is about 22" high and 21-3/4" across at the top.
3. Details of the scroll saw work, combined with some carving.
4. Top view, I have an acrylic sheet fitted on the top covering the carvings which has been taken off for the picture.

The few ideas I already have.
1. As you can see our sitting room overall has a handicraft look, I need to duplicate the same feel.
2. The general color scheme is very dark brown or offwhite and light tan. The same colors may be used to enhance and create contrast in the hall table. Perhaps a monotone dark color to match the existing tables may also work.
3. I know duplicating the scroll saw work will be rear impossible for me, so I should probably focus on adapting the general outine of the arches in the legwork.

Any advice is greately appreciated.

Jim Becker
12-24-2004, 9:01 AM
Zahid, I think you are correct about bringing the feel of the existing pieces forward. A less ornate design that is stylistically in keeping with the current decor will be very nice. Perhaps doing it in mahogany with a little inlay for interest would be something to consider?

BTW, the kilm is beautiful!!

Mark Singer
12-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Jim gave you good advice...you can capture the spirit of the piece by simper "pared down" forms if they relate. The coleo of the wood is also important.. Try to make a drawing first and post it so we can see where the design is going.

Bert Johansen
12-27-2004, 10:49 AM
Zahid,

Looking at the octagonal table, I like the geometry of the sides (2 legs, apron and 2 rails). What about using the same geometry, scaled up, for the ends of the hall table. Another thought would be to insert a panel in the upper (square) part, with an inlay or carving that replicates a portion of the scrollwork on the side of the octagonal table.

Bert

Zahid Naqvi
12-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Bert I am thinking on the same lines. Carving is beyond me at this point but I an thinking about keeping the same octagonal shape, sort of split in half with the long flat side butted against the wall. While incorporating the same outlines, and using some sort of figured wood as pannels to replicate the carving. Unfortunately I don't have a CAD program which I can use for drawing, I usually make several rough sketches on a checkered note pad. May be I can scan one of the drawings and post it on this thread for your opinion.

Zahid,

Looking at the octagonal table, I like the geometry of the sides (2 legs, apron and 2 rails). What about using the same geometry, scaled up, for the ends of the hall table. Another thought would be to insert a panel in the upper (square) part, with an inlay or carving that replicates a portion of the scrollwork on the side of the octagonal table.

Bert