PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the old jointer/planer cutterheads?

Sherzod Niazov
10-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Last year I upgraded my straight knife grizzly jointer(8") and planer(20") cutter heads to helical ones. What do you guys do with the old ones?

Neil Brooks
10-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Make some DIY cabinet scrapers.

Rick Whitehead
10-22-2010, 1:16 PM
Put them up for sale in the Classified section.

Jerome Hanby
10-22-2010, 2:29 PM
You could send me a jointer head. If I get the outcome one creeker predicted for me if I try to build a jointer then at least you won't have to read anymore of my posts...and my wife might have some equipment for sale:eek:

Paul Murphy
10-23-2010, 12:57 AM
This gentleman wants a 20" cutterhead to make a knife grinder.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1530877&postcount=1

An interesting idea, because a sharp well adjusted straight knife machine cuts a very nice surface. I envy the folks who own the industrial planers with integral sharpeners as it must be very convenient.

One thing I've been told is sharpening shops gang clamp knives together, and only the last knife in the stack has a burr to remove. That is one drawback to sharpening knives in the cutterhead, you have a burr on each knife.

Rich Engelhardt
10-23-2010, 6:22 AM
Make a wooden box for it, pack it in grease, stick it in the box and label it clearly as to what it is.
Find a nice dry place to store the box.
Dollars to doughnuts, you sell it @ some point you'll regret it...

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to cleaning out all the crap in the garage...;) :D

Hmm, an oil filter for a 1980 Camero! Fancy that being there! My wife had a Camero before we got married in 1981, I wonder if.....

Tom Esh
10-23-2010, 9:54 AM
Last year I called a local scrapyard who said they'd take it for $ whatever per lb. So I loaded about 200# of stuff like that in the back of the truck. Naturally they weren't open when I got there so (yup, you guessed it) over the fence it went.:o