PDA

View Full Version : Rose colored granite

Albert Nix
10-22-2010, 10:59 AM
A customer dropped off a piece of what I would call (rose colored) granite or (I am not real sure it could be marble) and wants some fairly detailed engraving on it. I have have had good luck so far with blk granite but this will be a first. I will pretty much ba a one shot deal and I would rather not mess it up. Does anyone have any experience this color granite. I am afraid there may not be a lot of contrast. What about color fill if so what would you use. I open for any suggestions. Please lol.

Alexander Stein
10-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Is this a large job or just a small piece? Usually when I have a customer that wants engraving in stone I ask them to provide a piece of scrap to do test engraving. You never know how the stone will react from one piece to another.

Is the whole stone pink? or is it very white with pink areas?

Contrast will be an issue due to the fact that the calcium in the stone is white so your engraving will end up white as well. So color fill may be your only option.

If it is a larger job, and you want to go through the trouble, I would find a stone/tile shop in your area and find a similar stone to work with. Sounds like you may have some "Pewter Rosa" which is pretty common in most places. I would tack on that box of tile to the customers bill too.

Albert Nix
10-22-2010, 3:42 PM
The more I look at it the more I think it is Marble. No scraps at all. There is very little white in it. It is all light and dark shades of the same color. what I am calling rose is more of a redish brown. This piece was taken from a capital biulding and cut to the shape of the state of GA.

Dee Gallo
10-22-2010, 6:46 PM
The more I look at it the more I think it is Marble. No scraps at all. There is very little white in it. It is all light and dark shades of the same color. what I am calling rose is more of a redish brown. This piece was taken from a capital biulding and cut to the shape of the state of GA.

So whoever cut it into the shape should have scraps, right? Have your customer get those for you. But theoretically, if you try granite settings like 100sp/25power it should do a big nothing to marble, then you'd know.

Also - is there a front and a back? If there is a back which won't show, you could test there.

~ dee

Dan Hintz
10-22-2010, 7:32 PM
There's always the vinegar test... place a drop of vinegar on the back, and if it bubbles, it's marble.

Mike Null
10-23-2010, 6:43 AM
Albert

Have a look at this thread. It may give you some ideas.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35440

Albert Nix
10-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks Dan I will have to remember that test. They were cut awhile back and a half a state away...Anyway the piece had a few nicks on it anyway so I decied one tiny carefully placed test spot should not show much. The spot turned nice and white in contrast. I just finished it and I am very happy with it. Thanks for the replies

Dee Gallo
10-23-2010, 3:48 PM
Thanks Dan I will have to remember that test. They were cut awhile back and a half a state away...Anyway the piece had a few nicks on it anyway so I decied one tiny carefully placed test spot should not show much. The spot turned nice and white in contrast. I just finished it and I am very happy with it. Thanks for the replies

Well, did you end up using marble or granite settings?

I'd say it looks nice, but the picture is too small to tell....

cheers, dee

Albert Nix
10-25-2010, 8:18 AM
It turned out to be marble. I used 100s-60P-500DPI. Yeah the pic was smaller than I wanted.One day I am going to spend a little time and figure out the best way to save images to post. Thanks for the input