PDA

View Full Version : Help with Decision on Radial Arm Saw

Mike Circo
10-22-2010, 8:49 AM
Here is your chance to spend MY money.

My old Sears steel-arm Radial Arm Saw is showing it's age. The RAS is probably the most used tool in my shop, so I'm looking to replace/upgrade.

I've got a line on a used Delta RS830. The newness of it is attractive, but new isn't always better from the design and ruggedness standpoint. I know very little about the Delta saws of this type. (only know the big Turret arm saws, but I don't have 220V to get one)

So.... Is this Delta worth $400, or shall I hold out to see if I can get lucky and find an old Dewalt of some sort. Pros and Cons of this saw are appreciated.

Opinions?

david brum
10-22-2010, 9:52 AM
Don't know about that particular saw Mike, although the price seems pretty high. FWW did a review of available radial saws a few years ago. They concluded that the buyer is better off renovating an old one, since most of the new ones lack the stability of older models. Our local craigslist has vintage DeWalts and Delta RASs every week for aound $100.

Mark Ashmeade
10-22-2010, 10:30 AM
The Delta RS830 appears to have the same motor as the later Craftsmen. Even the parts diagrams look similar. I would be willing to bet it is made by Emerson and its successors.

Personally, I would look for a newer C-Man (or RIDGID RS1000) in the $150-$200 price range, and put a new blade or two on it for that kind of money.

Another alternative would be to find one in the recall range and buy that. You would then get a new table & guard for free.

You may also be able to return your present saw under the recall and get $100 for it.

I have an RS1000 that I killed the motor on. I bought a used C-man for $50, did the recall, and now I have a working motor and new table on my RS1000, not to mention a spare blade guard.

Mike Hollingsworth
10-22-2010, 10:42 AM
220 should not be your limiting factor. 3 phase maybe.
Call an electrician.

I bought a brand new Delta 12' turret RAS 15 years ago for $1500.
They go for next to nothing these days.

I hardly use it.

Kirk Poore
10-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Mike's right--put in 220V and look for an old Dewalt or Delta. That $400 should buy a 2 or 3 hp 50's or 60's machine in excellent condition. Or spend $100 on a lightly used oval arm Craftsman from the '60's--they're OK too. If it says Craftsman and "Electronic", stay far, far away.

Edit: I just checked the Chicago CL. There are over 40 RAS's listed, including at least half a dozen Deltas and Dewalts. Only 4 at $400 or more, and one of those is junk. Even eliminating the large 3 phase saws, there's some bargains out there.

Kirk

Paul Steiner
10-22-2010, 12:19 PM
FWW is right you are better off renovating an old one, if you are not going to pay for an original saw company saw. Get an old dewalt with a rounded top cast iron arm you will be much happier with the results.
Next I would say don't be afraid of the big boys. We all lust for the bigger saw. I have owned 4 RAS and I am most happy with my 16" monster a dewalt 3526. I bought the saw for $100 had the motor tuned up for another $100, phase converter was $100. It can do a 28" crosscut straight as an arrow. It was the only cure for my radial arm saw lust.

Jonathan Spool
10-22-2010, 1:45 PM
I picked up a 3 phase Delta turret RAS last week for $85. Its never been used (I took the table of for transport. I have a static converter that has always worked perfectly on my old 3 phase saw as I am not a commercial shop.
You can find excellent deals out there on 3 phase equipment, and a 2-5hp converter will only cost $125-$200.

Ryan Hellmer
10-22-2010, 3:15 PM
Ditto, ditto and ditto, I have had several RAS's in my time, and have recently acquired a 16" DeWalt. I made a rotary converter for $160 so now I'm going big time. This saw will get a total restore, although it probably doesn't need it. 24" crosscut 5 HP. I would say they don't make them like this anymore, except they do, and they charge $5000 for them. The old round-tops are the way to go. Depending on what size you want, look for an MMB or MBF on the small end or 7790 in the middle, or you can go BIG with any of the G_ models (GA, GK, GP, etc).

Ryan

Neal Clayton
10-22-2010, 3:20 PM
i came across one of those newer 10" deltas once.

came with a bent arbor, replaced the motor, and the arbor on the new one bent after about 6 months use.

in that six months, i also went through two switches.

i never cut anything larger than a 2x6 in that time.

they are the very definition of "mickey mouse" tools. i wound up giving it away as is just to get it out of my shop.

if you want a RAS you want an old one.

also looking at the chicago craigslist, some potential winners...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/2010921102.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tls/2008918102.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/tls/2019468445.html