PDA

View Full Version : store lumber outside?

Bob Riefer
10-22-2010, 7:50 AM
I have room to store about 1 project's worth of material inside my woodshop at a time. I have practically unlimited storage for lumber on the 2nd story as well, although I have other plans for that space so I'd like to avoid filling it up if possible.

Building a ten foot enclosed (with roof and doors.. not an air tight structure, allow some air movement) "lumber closet" outside of my barn is easily possible. And I'd have drive up access to unload, and only about 5 steps to bring lumber inside before the next project.

Any issues that you have experienced with a setup like that? Any advice on dimensions, features, etc.? Pictures of your setup?

Thanks!

Philip Rodriquez
10-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Plenty of people use this approach. Just keep it dry and let the air circulate. Before you start your next project, bring the boards in and let them acclimate.

Jerome Hanby
10-22-2010, 2:48 PM
That sounds like what Norm had on the NYWS...

Paul Murphy
10-22-2010, 5:09 PM
Outside covered storage with wood off the ground will keep your wood from rotting, but in your region your wood will stabalize about 12% - 14% moisture. If it was in a house or other climate controlled structure it would stabilize somewhere around 8%.

As long as you are content to move your next project wood into a climate controlled area and let it acclimate before final processing, you will be fine. I do the same, and I sometimes skip-joint and skip-plane after a couple weeks, wait another couple weeks, then finish preparing stock. The stock moves some after the skip-processing, but I leave enough room for final surfacing, and it gives me a chance to mark my stock for cutting.

I rushed things once, and a project planned for 7/8" thickness became 3/4" when I had to re-surface the cup out of some wide boards.

Some positive things about your plan is there is no point spending on kiln dried lumber, it will just reabsorb moisture if stored "outside" under a roof.

Andrew Joiner
10-22-2010, 6:30 PM
None of the hardwood lumber yards I've bought from have heated storage. Kiln dried hardwood is usually stored in unheated warehouses. I think as long as you keep your storage shed weather tight you'll be fine.