PDA

View Full Version : Quick Review: L-N Hand Tool Techniques Videos

Jim Becker
12-23-2004, 9:34 PM
One of my purchases at a recent show was two videos from our friends at Lie-Nielsen; specifically Hand Tool Techniques Part 1: Plane Sharpening and Hand Tool Techniques Part 2: Hand Planing. (A third video featuring advanced hand planing is due out soon)

Over the past couple of evenings, I took the opportunity to watch both and found them to be very educational, especially for someone like myself that is new to this Neander slippery slope thing! David Charlesworth's presentation is excellent, well paced and informative. He takes the time not only to show you how but to tell you why...a teaching technique that I use myself in my own work to great advantage. (As a sales presentation tool in my case)

I suspect that Part One will have the most immediate effect in my shop as the sharpening information, including dealing with the water stones, will be put right to use at the first opportunity. Part two really helped my understanding about how a plane works and how to work the plane...as well as the wood.

If you are as new to this stuff as I am or have never worked with/sharpened a "curved blade", I suggest you check these videos out; either by aquiring them for your own library or viewing a copy borrowed as the case may be. Good stuff!

John Miliunas
12-23-2004, 9:46 PM
Hey Jim, thanks much for the review! I may be looking to get one or both of those video's! With my recent dip into the Neander waters, I'm thinking it couldn't hurt! :rolleyes: The only planes I had previously been familiar with were the ones, which "cut up" the skies! Are those video's available through most WW outlets or only through LN? Thanks again!:) :cool:

John Weber
12-23-2004, 9:51 PM
Jim,

I agree, I took David's 2 day class at the Marc Adams school this past summer, OUTSTANDING! I can sharpen a blade as good a anyone now (well almost anyone I would guess). I bought the video as a refresher and it is excellent, a very good review of the class. While the class cost more then many NICE planes, I still think it was well worth it. It is nice to have very sharp tools.

John

Mark Singer
12-23-2004, 10:05 PM
I have his books and they are both very good and practicle. He is a teacher and as such offers very much like Krenov and Frid information easy to grasp....I owe all of them much thanks for elevating my woodworking to a higher level...and I continue to read their books and with each visit ...a bit more sinks in....not true what they say of old dogs...my 13 1/2 year lab agress...he is in the shop right now ....working on a small dog house of his own design...it is in the genes as they say:confused:

Jim Dunn
12-23-2004, 10:06 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the information on the videos. Having never sharpened much more than a pencil will these work for a novice? Also are they in VHS or DVD format?

Jim Becker
12-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Also are they in VHS or DVD format?I believe they are available in either format, but DVD is prefered if you have a DVD player as you can go right to a particular section from the menu.

Are those video's available through most WW outlets or only through LN?I "know" they are available direct from L-N, but they may also be available from other outlets...I don't know.

Michael Perata
12-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Jim

I fell asleep watching the Part 2 Handplaning DVD.

Charlesworth carries being "British" to its ultimate absurdity.

I'll give the DVD to anyone who'll prepay the shipping.

The Cosman DVD's (also from L-N) were infinitely more informative and enjoyable to watch, and cheaper too!

Rick Hoppe
12-24-2004, 12:10 AM
Michael, if your offer regarding the Charlesworth #2 video still stands, I'll take you up on it!

Thanks, Rick

John Weber
12-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Michael,

If Rick changes his mind, sign me up.

John

Jim Becker
12-24-2004, 8:57 AM
I fell asleep watching the Part 2 Handplaning DVD.
I agree that it doesn't move along quickly and he's "quite diliberate" in his speaking and actions, but for me, being a real newcomer to using these tools, the slower pace was acceptable. It let me think about what was being said and shown before moving on. For someone familiar with the tools and their use, it would be a real sleeper, for sure!

Steve Beadle
12-24-2004, 10:49 AM
I recently received both these DVD's and have watched each three or four times. I was very impressed with Charlesworth's teaching style and got a bit of a kick out of some of his mannerisms. I really appreciated his diction--very clear and precise and understandable. That was one of the problems I had with Jim Kingshott's video on handplanes: sometimes I had to replay a phrase several times before I could understand what he was saying.
You're right about the handplaning video. It does go along a little slow sometimes, but I've never seen better instruction. Just be patient!
And now I think I'll go have another look!

John Miliunas
12-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Michael,

If Rick changes his mind, sign me up.

John
Hey John/Rick....Hate to tell 'ya, but as the proferbial saying goes, "Check's in the mail!" For once, I was "there" (here) moments after Michael's post and PM'd him! Just got back from the USPS office!:p :) :cool:

Robert Tarr
12-26-2004, 10:49 PM
Jim,

I knew all I had to do was walk you by the LN booth and the Sirens of bronze and A2 steel would do the rest. So, what is the next hand plane going to be?

Actually, anyone who may be interested in hand planes should definately take a look at these videos (or Cosmans or Mario Rodriguez's) to get a feel for what the basics are (and some mild tuning tips) and then start on your way to collecting the planes you need/want.

Have fun.

Robert