PDA

View Full Version : Post office Boxes or Cartons

Bruce Smith
10-21-2010, 7:36 PM
Can anyone refer me to the site where the USA post office give the dimensions of the various boxes. I have heard others speak of them, if you can get the article (in this case turning squares) into a certain size box in they will ship it regardless of the weignt. I have checked the USA post office site but can't seem to find anything about it. My wife is headed across the border next week and thought I might surprise a friend with a box of birds eye maple. In Canada we don't have such an offer and besides that our postal rates are out of sight. Any help would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Bruce

Charlie Reals
10-21-2010, 7:49 PM
bruce, this should do it for ya,
http://www.usps.com/shop/flatrateboxes.htm?from=home_postageoptions&page=flatrateenvelopesboxes

Jake Helmboldt
10-21-2010, 7:49 PM
Bruce, USPS flat rate boxes are what you are looking for.
http://www.usps.com/shipping/prioritymail.htm

Click on the arrow on the window in the middle of the page and it scrolls through the sizes and the rates.

John Keeton
10-21-2010, 7:50 PM
Try this http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

John Keeton
10-21-2010, 7:50 PM
Talk about a group response!!! Now, that is Creek Hospitality!!:D

Jake Helmboldt
10-21-2010, 7:55 PM
yeah, and we all came up with different sites! Go figure.

Bruce, you can use the flat rate boxes from Canada, but of course the rates are much higher. But it may still be a decent rate compared to usual (I don't know).

Thomas Canfield
10-21-2010, 10:44 PM
The flat rate boxes work fairly well if you can get them really packed. I have shipped wood back from Hawaii and it is like working a puzzle to make sure there is limited air space. Shipping some fabric material to daughter, I found out that I could make a 40# custom box and ship cheaper (about $45)than the flat rate boxes where it would have taked 4 of the large at $14.50 each or $58. Something to check. The postal rate from Hawaii is also a higher rate making the flat rate more attractive and a lot cheaper than the overweight charge for baggage now.

Curt Fuller
10-21-2010, 10:56 PM
However, I noticed you're in Canada and I don't think USPS flat rate postal boxes can be shipped from Canada. To Canada, yes. From Canada, I don't know. You might check out CanadaPost.ca

Jim Burr
10-22-2010, 12:11 AM
John, If you can ship them from Canada, USPS will send you a free sample of boxes and lables

Brian Elfert
10-22-2010, 1:21 PM
John, If you can ship them from Canada, USPS will send you a free sample of boxes and lables

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't send them to Canada, but my experience is they must be printing those boxes in China and shipping them via a slow boat.

I ordered some USPS boxes in early December last year. It took at least three weeks to get them! I understand it is the holiday season, but you would think they might send something that gets them more business a little faster.

greg lindsey
10-22-2010, 2:38 PM
I use several of these Flat Rate boxes, they will send them to you for free and I mean several of each size, I think I got about 50 of each size. But, keep in mind that they are used for USPS ONLY, and actualy state that it is a "federal crime" to use them for shipping with anyone other than USPS.

David Weaver
10-22-2010, 2:46 PM
Greg, given that they send them to you for free, i'm assuming that you can just walk into the post office and take some without paying anything and then pay when you print postage or when you return to the post office to drop them off?

I have rarely used flat rate boxes, but for lack of anything other than getting tired of coming up with boxes as I trade my tools around, I think I'm going to start.

That and the issue that every time I drop something off at staples on friday night, the ups guy doesn't pick it up until monday afternoon, which makes it seem like I have to apologize to anyone I'm shipping to when they pay on a thursday or whatever.

greg lindsey
10-22-2010, 4:14 PM
David, I assume you can pick them up at a local station, I go on the USPS site and order them, it takes about 2 days, then the UPS guy drops them off at my front door.:confused:

Brian Elfert
10-22-2010, 4:46 PM
I use several of these Flat Rate boxes, they will send them to you for free and I mean several of each size, I think I got about 50 of each size. But, keep in mind that they are used for USPS ONLY, and actualy state that it is a "federal crime" to use them for shipping with anyone other than USPS.

People used to turn Priority Mail boxes inside out to use with other carriers, but the USPS got wise to that and now they print Priority Mail on the inside of the boxes too.

Jerry Marcantel
10-22-2010, 6:50 PM
For international shipments, to England at least, USPS puts a 20 pound limit on International Flat Rate boxes. Cost is doubled..... Jerry (in Tucson)

Brian Elfert
10-22-2010, 10:05 PM
All the ads for USPS flat rate emphasize the fact that there is no weight limit. How can it be called flat rate with a weight limit?

Bruce Smith
10-23-2010, 1:20 PM
Thanks to one and all for the information on the flat rate boxes for shipping TURNING SQUARES. Not sure how the moderator determined this was off topic as IT IS RELATING TO WOOD TURNING, however you must have your reason. Its not like I was shipping some article that didn't pertain to the hobby, I think you are splitting hairs, get a grip, stop and smell the roses. The turning squares will be shipped from the USA whether you like it or not, just like I stated in my original posting. Thanks once again to all that answered my question, I will try not to jump out of line in the future.

Kent A Bathurst
10-23-2010, 5:02 PM
Thanks to one and all for the information on the flat rate boxes for shipping TURNING SQUARES. Not sure how the moderator determined this was off topic as IT IS RELATING TO WOOD TURNING, however you must have your reason. Its not like I was shipping some article that didn't pertain to the hobby, I think you are splitting hairs, get a grip, stop and smell the roses. The turning squares will be shipped from the USA whether you like it or not, just like I stated in my original posting. Thanks once again to all that answered my question, I will try not to jump out of line in the future.

Whoooa, there, northern friend. You asked a question that could have been answered on your own by a simple google "us post office boxes"- or anyting remotely close, but a lot of folks said "OK - here's the answer". You live in a beautiful city, in a beautiful Province - been there a number of times - and I've met only friendly, considerate people.

The mods do what they do - and they do it well - without compensation. Getting in their face for putting your inquiry in a different location - where it still got answered - makes no sense to me. I have asked mods ??? before posting a few times, and gotten good directions from them - kinda pre-emptive action - in case you have some doubts int he future.

Get a lobster roll, and stop and smell the salt air, eh? :D

Best of luck to you.

Bill Cunningham
10-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Bruce! Have you used 'Expedited Post' to the U.S.? Only available to Business customer w/a Venture 1 Card. You save 5%, which is better than nothing. If your shipping in Canada, they Guarantee a delivery date, and give you a full refund if they don't get it there on time. (I get about a hundred bucks in refunds every month:D) It's cheaper than regular parcel post, and faster! But, Canada post is weird. I can ship a small packet via air to California for about 5 bucks. The same size package to BC is $9-$14 depending on the postal code.. The old joke in Canada about mail delivery was:
1st class mail goes by air
2nd mail goes by truck
For 3rd class mail they tape it to the back of a wino who wanders aimlessly through the streets until he stumbles across your address and falls asleep on your doorstep.